Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster vs Tesla Roadster drag racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
James' picture just rocks, and anyone out there ordering, black wheels are clearly the correct answer for RR (MTBO).

Wait till you see it with the exposed carbon fiber hardtop. The combo of the black wheels with the black CF hardtop will be amazing.

I am also considering adding the exterior carbon fiber package to mine. You can do that after delivery. There are even some companies that do it cheaper than Tesla with the same quality.

I am also considering adding the exterior carbon fiber package to mine. There are even some companies that do it cheaper than Tesla with the same quality.

Not sold on the CF hood but I do want the CF wing. I thought it would be great to have a Backup camera installed into it. At least one Tesla person said the idea is a great one.

Not sold on the CF hood but I do want the CF wing. I thought it would be great to have a Backup camera installed into it. At least one Tesla person said the idea is a great one.

I am going to see a local aftermarket expert that was recommended to me by another Tesla owner. We will see what magic he can do with carbon fiber. Also need to have some minor leather upholstry work done.

Can you be more specific about what you're planning to do?

Some of us may feel the need to keep up with the James's.

I am merely considering some exterior carbon fiber accents similar to the package offered by Tesla Motors. But I don't want to pay $9,000 for it. I am going to wait and see how my carbon fiber hardtop looks before I go adding more accents on the wing and front hood.

I might also do the Kenwood aftermarket replacement for the JVC. I like that part of what Dr. Ian Taras did with his Tesla Roadster. My other thought is a rear backup camera.

If you want to keep up with me, I suggest you put your Tesla Roadster Sport on a trailer and arrange to be in Colorado on Sept 27th.

National Electric Drag Racing Association - Upcoming Events
High Altitude Nationals
September 27, 2009
Bandimere Speedway
Denver, Colorado

In the thin air there is less drag. Since electric cars don't need oxygen, they actually are at their best at high altitude. According to Bill Dube, owner of the Killacycle, that is the place to set a record.
My driver, Scotty Pollacheck (Killacycle rider) will also be there.

Can to join me for a head to head race with you and me driving? Tesla Roadster Sport vs Tesla Roadster Sport? That could be a good video if both of us are running at 12.5 or 12.6 seconds.

I am on a diet to drop weight. :biggrin:

Last edited:
If you want to keep up with me, I suggest you put your Tesla Roadster Sport on a trailer and arrange to be in Colorado on Sept 27th.
Can to join me for a head to head race with you and me driving? Tesla Roadster Sport vs Tesla Roadster Sport? That could be a good video if both of us are running at 12.5 or 12.6 seconds.

I am on a diet to drop weight. :biggrin:

I'd love to join you, but Colorado is too far. How about you join me for the Power of DC Autocross/Drag-Race Aug 29-30? It's an all EV event.

I'm 180 lbs. You've got a long way to go on your diet.

I'd love to join you, but Colorado is too far. How about you join me for the Power of DC Autocross/Drag-Race Aug 29-30? It's an all EV event.

I'm 180 lbs. You've got a long way to go on your diet.

OK, we will have to do a virtual race. You put up your best time at the Power of DC. Make sure it is documented with video and time slips.

I will then try to top it in late September at the High Altitude Nationals.

My starvation diet just started.

James, shouldn't you be in the back room working on some Foundry cables and not going on a starvation diet yet? I'm still waiting for mine. :smile: :smile:

I am delegating. The "back room" is 63 miles from my house and I only go there twice per week. I have a business to run. We have four technicians trained now and they all work on the RFMC upgrades, but those are not their only tasks. This is a side business for us, not the primary task for anyone.

But even setup as we are, we expect 7 or 8 units to be finished this week. We were being held up by some parts on order that arrived this past Monday. We have a bunch of units 80% completed and those are now being finsihed for testing on Thursday and Friday.

August 7th, 2009 at Pacific Raceways near Seattle...
Tesla Roadster Sport in the foreground...

3802208790_51a606a1c0_b_d.jpg

Image by ScottFe

More pictures and videos to come and will be posted in this thread.

Hi James... my name is Chuck Squatriglia; I'm the editor of Wired.com's automotive / transportation blog Autopia. We're going to do a post about this with one of the YouTube videos and link back to the TMC. Is it OK to use that photo to illustrate the post (assuming it's your photo)? Please let me know via email at [email protected]

Thanks!

This seems as good a thread as any to stick this in ...

In Friday's email newsletter from Tesla, they said:

"Here's a curious bit of data for budget-conscious drag racers or anyone interested in EV efficiency: Each quarter-mile run in a Roadster Sport costs eight to 16 cents if you're burning up the track and trying to set new records. By contrast, a quarter-mile sprint at similar speeds in a conventional gas guzzler would cost $5 to $26 per sprint, based on current gasoline prices."

Can someone explain how a sprint in a "conventional gas guzzler" would consume anywhere close to that much resource? The only way I can imagine it is if you're amortizing the cost of the car (and abuse to the car) into those sprint costs, and even then you'd better be doing the same with the Roadster.

More likely, a math-challenged marketing person misunderstood what someone told them.

ChrisC, the high end of the quoted costs may be a bit high but they are nowhere close to top fuel dragsters! Fuel costs alone per run can be close to $200, tires only last 4 to 6 runs and of course a complete engine rebuild per run at some varying number of $1000s of parts. (engine cost of $50,000)