Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster vs. Venturi Fetish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Roadster (an EV that matches the performance of Ferraris and Porches that one can at least place an order for) is a completely NEW breakthrough, a paradigm shift of enormous proportions, changing the way most folks see the electric car that leaves chins hanging and ahhhs and ooohs sound.

Why didn't the Venturi Fetish develop such a reputation?

I think it was announced before the Roadster, and has similar supercar-like aspirations.

Why is the Roadster so much more well known and popular?

• Lower price?
  • Celebrity endorsements?
  • First launched in California not Europe?
  • Better engineered product?
  • Better PR and Marketing?
  • Better styling?
  • ???

I think it was announced before the Roadster, and has similar supercar-like aspirations.

• Lower price?
  • Better styling?
  • ???

I would say the biggest reason (and certainly not the only one) is the fact that Tesla intends to produce electric cars for everyone--to be "The next great American car company"--with the Roadster as a proof-of-concept. Venturi only seems interested in toys for the super-rich.

This is an epic quest, with history filled with failures, and yet Tesla is poised to do it at an extremely opportune time. The drama and excitement from this story alone are enough to generate great media interest.

The soap opera that is the company itself keeps an attentive audience, too, ensuring that there's always something new to discuss...

-Ryan

• Lower price?
  • Better styling?
  • ???

I'm going to go first with price. I was very excited about the Fetish and it still looks pretty good but at that price it may as well been a Saturn Rocket. At 92K the Roadster was "only" 3 or 4 times what I thought would be approachable. Combine that with promises of a peoples car I was hooked.

For the general public, Warped one's Blog / internet is a good call combined with Martin's transparency, a USA product combined with good PR like the Barker hanger launch with the Governator.

The "pare-brise panoramique intégral" (one-piece panoramic windshield) is kinda cool looking:

2680557036_c33fe6df34.jpg

2679737091_a5104ff909.jpg

In addition to the softtop and hardtop, maybe Tesla can make some kind of top that lets light through.