Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Robotaxi (Gen 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Buckminster

Aug 29, 2018
UK
Robotaxi product coming after Golf competitor? 2024?

@kbM3 @EVNow @AcesDealt @davecolene0606 @bdy0627 @hacer - I was wrong, you guys were right regarding this.

I just got confirmation directly from Tesla regarding the following.

Me: [In response to $38k robotaxi mentioned in Autonomy Day and cap raise call] Is it safe to assume that current production cost of a base Model 3 is about $38k?

Tesla: Nope, the cost is lower. $38k would be the cost of a custom built robotaxi, with a battery pack that can last for a million miles, etc.

If Tesla know the cost, are they further ahead?

Others have given a lot of possibilities … but I'd think about it like this.

They needed to give a number to do the calculations around how much money TN can make. So, I'd look at 38k as a very rough estimate of what they need to do - larger battery, more miles, ruggedized interior, more communication hardware etc. If they are more than rough estimates, then, EM is really serious about getting FSD working next year.

Inspiration:
images

Reactions: EVNow
Tesla sad 1 million miles pack next year so w/e car must be then too, if they have the OK for driverless vehicles.
Should be close to M3/MY but they need a much more comfortable interior.
1 million miles pack is a pointless metric, what matters is cost per cycle as that plus electricity costs are the real cost of fuel. They need a chemistry that's closer to their storage products than auto as range and charging rates are less relevant with car as a service.

Elon said at the earnings call April 20th that the Robotaxi design is ready.
What could it look like? There has been speculation about a minibus with no windows and just entertainment screens inside. Some guesses:
  • More streamlined than a bus because it needs to be capable of highway trips with decent range and it needs to handle Boring tunnel for long stretches at 130 mph or more.
  • You may actually need windows to prevent car sickness.
  • Possibly need to sit facing forward for the same reason.
So I am wondering if will just be a Model Y without driver controls and with more relaxing seats, lets say cushy three seater sofas up front and rear for a total of six passengers. No need for today's side bolsters for sporty driving. More and bigger infotainment screens.
Or could it be a Cyber Sedan/SUV for extra durability? Sharp edges may create wind noise at high speed though. Unless they've figured out near 100% active noise cancellation by then.

What do you all think it looks like?

Last edited:
Elon said at the earnings call April 20th that the Robotaxi design is ready.
What could it look like? There has been speculation about a minibus with no windows and just entertainment screens inside. Some guesses:
  • More streamlined than a bus because it needs to be capable of highway trips with decent range and it needs to handle Boring tunnel for long stretches at 130 mph or more.
  • You may actually need windows to prevent car sickness.
  • Possibly need to sit facing forward for the same reason.
So I am wondering if will just be a Model Y without driver controls and with more relaxing seats, lets say cushy three seater sofas up front and rear for a total of six passengers. No need for today's side bolsters for sporty driving. More and bigger infotainment screens.
Or could it be a Cyber Sedan/SUV for extra durability? Sharp edges may create wind noise at high speed though. Unless they've figured out near 100% active noise cancellation by then.

What do you all think it looks like?

I do not care at ALL about a Robotaxi. My problem with non-personal travel has never been the driver, availability, or ability to drive safely. A few things:

1) If it's personal taxi, then it's a much worse road footprint as a regular taxi/uber if it's similar to the huge vehicle in mock ups.
2) If it's shared, then it's basically a bus, and there are lots of reasons I hated to ride a bus when I had to. Long travel times, long waits, and awful inconsiderate passengers are at the top. I don't see how a Robotaxi addresses any of these concerns.
3) I've lived in the west coast where this'll likely debut. What happens when a homeless person gets in and falls asleep, relieve themselves, or shoots up drugs in it? Will the car call the police? The police don't do anything when there's a human complainant in most automotive incidents. They're not going to bother with some automated system.

No thanks. I'll stick to my personal vehicle.

Aaah the thread title “Tesla Robotaxi!” That two-word phrase always puts a smile on my face, and automatically my head shakes. I wonder how differently great Tesla vehicles might be if the goal were less robotaxi and more a vehicle for the driver.
Omg I could not agree more. The masses have no clue just how far away a viable unmanned robotaxi actually is.

I think it's time we should get the picture of a small sporty compact car out of our mind. Didn't Elon already promissed something futuristic? I would like to see something like this:
Unbranded%20NEXT%204.png

Check out their homepage HOME | NextFutureTransport
I didn't buy their idea to have a unit you can stand up within and even change place during the drive to move to the section that is decoupled. But the shape goes in the direction of a symetric concept with two similar parts to die cast for stability and glas to cover the rest. Put an motor with integrated brake on each axis and you are done.
Imagine a Franz von Holzhausen design with focus on cost efficient high mass production.

Indeed, as Elon said during the earnings call of Q1 2022:

So, we’re also working on a new vehicle that I alluded to at the Giga Texas opening, which is a dedicated robotaxi. That’s highly optimized for autonomy, meaning it would not have steering wheel or pedals. And there are a number of other innovations around it that I think are quite exciting. That is fundamentally optimized for -- trying to achieve the lowest fully considered cost per mile or cost per kilometer, accounting everything. And so, it’s, I think, going to be a very powerful product where we aspire to reach volume production of that in 2024. So, I think that really will be a massive driver of Tesla’s growth. And we remain on track to reach volume production of the Cybertruck next year.

And also:

Martin Viecha

Yes Next question is at Cyber Rodeo, Elon mentioned that a futuristic driverless robotaxi vehicle is on the roadmap. When can we expect more details on the product offering to be unveiled? Is this something that people can own, or will this be only offered by Tesla as a service?

Elon Musk

So, I think we want to hold up on -- we don’t want to jump the gun on an exciting product announcement too much. So, I think, we’ll aim to -- we do a product event for robotaxi next year and get into more detail, but we are aiming for volume production in 2024.

Conclusion: robotaxi unveil in 2023. Would only make sense in combination with announcing regulatory approval.