Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla rolling out new headlights worldwide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would make economic sense if the light was adjustable for each countries specs. Not saying we should be allowed to adjust everything such as RHD and LHD which would require factory setup. I cannot complain about the existing lighting, works very well but as they say there is always room for improvement. Glad to see Tesla on the cutting edge of things.

If you watch the video linked in the article on Electrek that do a decent rundown comparing the current headlight with the new one. They both look bright enough to me, or at least similarly bright. (I imagine the exposure on the camera doing the filming is actually dimming things down a bit)

Regarding the light pattern - the new ones appear to have a very sharp edged pattern. Almost like the lens isn't really diffusing the LED light at all. The old/current headlights do appear to diffuse things a bit so you don't see those sharp lines. I think I prefer the current headlight better. Will be interesting to see if there's any particular advantage to the newer lights.

Reactions: Krock65 and CO_MY
If you watch the video linked in the article on Electrek that do a decent rundown comparing the current headlight with the new one. They both look bright enough to me, or at least similarly bright. (I imagine the exposure on the camera doing the filming is actually dimming things down a bit)

Regarding the light pattern - the new ones appear to have a very sharp edged pattern. Almost like the lens isn't really diffusing the LED light at all. The old/current headlights do appear to diffuse things a bit so you don't see those sharp lines. I think I prefer the current headlight better. Will be interesting to see if there's any particular advantage to the newer lights.

If it's anything like the prius prime, the headlights are giant rectangles
the light is super bright however with the high beams on you can noticeable see a square

EU laws only allow very sharp cut-off, while the US laws are the opposite, allowing some light to diffuse above the cut-off line. So I am guessing the comparison is between the new lights set to EU specs vs. the old lights set to US specs.

BTW: the advanced BMW LED headlights can do either EU or USA specs, it's just a software setting/configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeNY
Can't wait for the laser headlights (BMW supposedly has these) and I want the option that it focuses them on the jerk running high beams at me and knocks them out. :)

That brings up a whole new topic regarding automatic high beam. I had this on 2 vehicles prior to the Y. In general they work well but are far from perfect. I find they tend to miss certain times and blind others. Worst cases are dark intersections approaching a car perpendicular to you at the intersection, they will not dim and they stare at you like a hypnotized deer waiting to be run over. LOL. The only good part about this is he can't flash blind you since his car is facing the wrong way to do so.