Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla rolling out new safety features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, and again, I don't put my blinker on when I move over and often cross shoulder line to give way to motorcycle in stop and go traffic. Sometimes I even do this when going 60mph and the bike still wants to zoom past traffic. But guess I'll find out.
Yes, but I don't think this is a problem. You're under no obligation to move over for lane splitters (personally I usually don't unless there is plenty of space). The bike will just have to wait until there is a big enough gap.

Yes and no. I’m sure a few of us have experienced this feature since it was already somewhat available in instances when Autopilot was recently disabled and TACC was still activated.

I saw it often when attempting use the shoulder to pothole dodge or follow construction barriers. Despite persistent driver input, the system is not intuitive enough to realize that this was a purposeful maneuver I wanted to perform. Pretty persistent and aggressive with it too. At least in that situation a quick brake tap would allow you to shut it off.

Agree with above. If default is on, should allow for rapid disabling by user input (a brake tap, acceleration etc) otherwise I could see this feature harming safety more than augmenting it.
So the car would steer and not allow manual override? That does sound scary.
I was assuming that this system would steer to avoid accidents but ultimately allow sufficient torque on the steering wheel to override it just like autosteer does.

I think it only apply when there is a car next to you or a wall. Other then that I’m sure they will allow you to do an emergency maneuver.

The force required to over-power the auto-steering is not great at all. Just turn "through" its attempts to counteract your actions and you'll be fine. Will be shocking I am sure, but if you're in an emergency, I a sure you'll just keep pressure on the wheel and be fine.

There was a recent news story where they claim a man was unable to control his Tesla and autopilot crashed. The report stated he was trying to turn the car and it wouldn't let him. Complete BS. If you've ever used autopilot you know little force it takes to turn it off. Yeah, it's gotta be a firm turn, but nothing superhuman.

Reactions: thx1139 and rlb4
So the car would steer and not allow manual override? That does sound scary.
I was assuming that this system would steer to avoid accidents but ultimately allow sufficient torque on the steering wheel to override it just like autosteer does.

Torque is sufficient to override it but it just not intuitive enough to pause itself after multiple attempts when you are purposely trying to keep it out of the lane. You literally have to fight it.

Reactions: Msjulie
Everyone, just relax. I'm sur the safety feature accounts for all of these crazy scenarios.

It sounds like the Model 3 now has something my Subaru has had for a few years....
Subaru and Infinite auto steers their car back to their lane? Why don't you answer everyone on how Subaru and Infinite deals with all these crazy scenarios the people here are bringing up and opposing to this new safety features?

Everyone, just relax. I'm sur the safety feature accounts for all of these crazy scenarios.

Subaru and Infinite auto steers their car back to their lane? Why don't you answer everyone on how Subaru and Infinite deals with all these crazy scenarios the people here are bringing up and opposing to this new safety features?

No idea what Infiniti offers but I know for a fact that my Subaru Outback automatically steers back into the lane as I'm driving. First it warns when the car is drifting out of its lane and then it steers back into the lane if the car approaches the lane marking. It's very easy to turn off and if you use the signal it overrides the departure steering.

This sounds a lot like how AP currently acts when you use the steering wheel to disable autosteer and then cross over a line (I.e. change lanes, cross over a fog line, choose a lane when the road divides). There are quite a few normal situations where you wouldn’t need to or wouldn’t have time to use a turn signal and in those circumstances this system is the opposite of a safety feature. It’s alarming in an already stressful situation at the very least and can be dangerous.

My only hope is that the new update will allow me to turn this “feature” off.

No idea what Infiniti offers but I know for a fact that my Subaru Outback automatically steers back into the lane as I'm driving. First it warns when the car is drifting out of its lane and then it steers back into the lane if the car approaches the lane marking. It's very easy to turn off and if you use the signal it overrides the departure steering.
What happens when a deer jumps in front or you need to avoid a sudden front collision; does your subaru allow you to override the steering?

It's interesting that Subaru has this and people here are going nuts over these features. I can only imagine the crap Subaru got when they released this feature in their cars back then.

What people are missing is that you paid for it when you bought the Infiniti and Subaru, it was a promised feature.
On the Teslas, it is completely free, they didn't have to provide it. Be happy with what you have.
Except, I do agree it should have been done years ago.

As for emergencies, it would likely not object to sudden movements and if it did, it wouldn't be difficult to override due to the amount of torque you're putting through the wheel.

don't need either, but then I haven't purchased FSD and this is clearly required for that purpose.

But what I would like to see is some sort of lane aware when one is on Auto steering control. Right now, the car tracks beautifully in the exact middle of a lane. Unfortunately, 99% of the cars/trucks around us do not do the same. Trucks in particular have a tendency to move between lane lines (and Bot dots in California). When a big rig starts to encroach on my lane, and get really close to my car, I'd rather see AutoSteer move away from the truck a little while staying within the lane.

don't need either, but then I haven't purchased FSD and this is clearly required for that purpose.

But what I would like to see is some sort of lane aware when one is on Auto steering control. Right now, the car tracks beautifully in the exact middle of a lane. Unfortunately, 99% of the cars/trucks around us do not do the same. Trucks in particular have a tendency to move between lane lines (and Bot dots in California). When a big rig starts to encroach on my lane, and get really close to my car, I'd rather see AutoSteer move away from the truck a little while staying within the lane.
Hmm. I thought we had such functionality back in May of 2017. We were on a road trip and got an update with side collision avoidance. We noticed on the drive back that whenever we would pass semis, the car would move over slightly. I haven't really paid attention over the years. Maybe that feature wasn't ready and went away...or maybe we were just imagining it.

What happens when a deer jumps in front or you need to avoid a sudden front collision; does your subaru allow you to override the steering?

It's interesting that Subaru has this and people here are going nuts over these features. I can only imagine the crap Subaru got when they released this feature in their cars back then.

Luckily I have no idea what happens when a deer jumps in front of the car...I know, though, that a slight push on the steering wheel overrides the system.

Well when I get my 3 in a few weeks I'll be putting 15-20 hours a week on it over 600 miles in all conditions, mostly highway using AEP and FSD (reason I'm getting the car) so I'll see how all this works. But I've been paying more attention to how I drive and I constantly make minor and micro safety based reactions to other drives, many of which are drifting towards the side of a lane to give more room from other drivers and watching closely to anticipate pushers veering into my lane. Curious to see how the computer does with these.

I would think at some point there is training the AI to have this sort of additional safe driving aware behavior.

Scenario: In carpool lane with barrier on left side, bus on right. Bus wants to get into carpool lane. Other traffic is near dead stop. Bus comes over fast into lane. Now before this happens, I can see bus and anticipate what it's going to do, because as a human, I know that bus is going to come into the carpool lane because its a commuter bus and does it every day. So I can either speed up to get in front of the bus, long before its even in the right lane or I can slow down. But the threat of the bus squishing me (which has happened once) is something I am pre-empting because I can anticipate what the bus driver is doing several steps before it actually happens. The computer, I would imagine only sees the bus as a threat when its actually in the right lane and trying to merge into me. This is also pretty common with other cars weaving in and out of traffic.

Reading these threads, I laugh so much this morning that my stomach hurts. Everyone else's other manufacturer car is so much more wonderful and had similar features years ago. I haven't yet seen someone say their 1928 model T has autopilot, but expect to see it at any time now :) So out of curiosity, I go to a couple of those forums for other manufacturers that people are bragging about here, and I see whining about problems with those features not working right and complaining about how the Tesla is ahead of their car. :rolleyes: So I wonder why people even bring this up. As for me, I don't care about what other cars do. I care about the one I bought. :D

What people are missing is that you paid for it when you bought the Infiniti and Subaru, it was a promised feature.
On the Teslas, it is completely free, they didn't have to provide it. Be happy with what you have.
Except, I do agree it should have been done years ago.

As for emergencies, it would likely not object to sudden movements and if it did, it wouldn't be difficult to override due to the amount of torque you're putting through the wheel.

I don't think anything that Tesla provides is "free". When you buy a Tesla, you are paying for future updates as well. Same thing with my Subaru (and BMW)...the difference is that Tesla provides it OTA, while I have to bring the BMW and Subaru to the dealer for the updates.

Eyesight is a pretty good system, but I tend to turn it off unless I'm going to be on the freeway. The one thing I really don't like about the system is the automatic braking. I take my Outback to my off grid cabin and when driving off road the system picks up all the various brush, trail bumps, rocks, etc. as obstacles and slams on the brakes even though there's no actual obstacle. It's a good system for use in town but I have to turn it off when I'm off road.

Couldn't find any thing in the Owner's Manual. It only says side collision takes over when the Model 3 drifts into an adjacent lane, not when someone drifts into my lane.
Yeah, we could've been experience (or imagining) something else. There are threads on side collision avoidance and they mention receiving a warning. We didn't get any warning but it seemed the buffer increased. Maybe it was just the air stream pushing us over. lol

The subaru has this feature but it works 15% of the time and the nudge is almost useless. If a deer jumps it will hit the brakes - it has a good emergency braking system.

Always safety improvements which are nice to see. A feature the wife wants..... Tesla is probably already ahead of her on this one, but she often comes up with things that get me thinking about it.

From decades of processing accident claims, she says the second most cause of a freeway accident (rear end is first), is that people change lanes and hit someone in their blind spot, thus suggesting there are many occasions on the interstates when not much traffic, to not allow the Tesla to sit in a blind spot of another car when there is the ability to either slow down or speed up for a few seconds.

Now that she mentions it, I see this a lot on my long travels on the interstate. People will sit in the blind spot of another car or creep up to pass them so slowly that they are there for an extended period of time. I'm not talking about the Tesla preventing hitting another car in the blind spot while changing lanes. To be clear, we are talking about not unnecessarily sitting in the blind spot of another car while on AP / TACC. We do like the fact that those headlights glow a lot to the left and right of the car. Other drivers see us much more easily, but that is only helps at night.

In lieu of such feature, she always tells me to not stay in the blind spot of another car any longer than necessary.