Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla rolling out new safety features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone, just relax. I'm sur the safety feature accounts for all of these crazy scenarios.

Subaru and Infinite auto steers their car back to their lane? Why don't you answer everyone on how Subaru and Infinite deals with all these crazy scenarios the people here are bringing up and opposing to this new safety features?

Yes, easy to override, need to apply way less pressure than to disable autosteer to override. Assume Tesla will copy.

The Infiniti has a great implementation where it will use the brakes to steer with a light tap on one side of the brakes when close to the lane marking so steering wheel feel is the same and you can easily override. Not intrusive at all which I like. Hopefully Tesla will be the same.

Reading these threads, I laugh so much this morning that my stomach hurts. Everyone else's other manufacturer car is so much more wonderful and had similar features years ago. I haven't yet seen someone say their 1928 model T has autopilot, but expect to see it at any time now :) So out of curiosity, I go to a couple of those forums for other manufacturers that people are bragging about here, and I see whining about problems with those features not working right and complaining about how the Tesla is ahead of their car. :rolleyes: So I wonder why people even bring this up. As for me, I don't care about what other cars do. I care about the one I bought. :D

This is a feature my Cadillac had, and my wife’s Buick currently has. It works well.

The point of being that up, to me, is that a) it’s a good safety feature and b) nothing to fear.

All the “what-if” talk has been mitigated by the other guys years ago. I’m sure Tesla’s implementation will be at least as good - so we’ll be fine.

That’s all. I don’t care about the other cars much either except for the fact that I’ve already got experience with these features.

Reactions: PoitNarf
I don't know anything about other cars' lane control systems, but I agree with a previous comment that Tesla's Lane Departure Avoidance will save lives...maybe today. I hate the term no-brainer but I think it applies here. Remember the first time you braked hard on a wet road with ABS brakes?

The only downside I can imagine is that somebody might think it's now safe to text and drive because they visualize their Tesla as a kid's bowling ball bouncing off gutter guards.

Testing it this morning, after my 3rd intentional move toward the right shoulder on a busy two lane street, I got a loud warning sound. The on-screen message seemed quite stern...without my reading glasses I couldn't make it out. Decided to discontinue the test thinking that if I keep this up the car might shut me down for possible DUI!

On my rural neighbordood road I intentionally moved across the center line to give space to a pedestrian on the right. The LDA was totally unexpected and surprized me but I continued into the left lane, overriding it without a second thought. Very little steering pressure required to take control.

I knew positively that the M3 was a great car when my tech-fearful wife stopped asking if she could have her Audi back.

I don't know anything about other cars' lane control systems, but I agree with a previous comment that Tesla's Lane Departure Avoidance will save lives...maybe today. I hate the term no-brainer but I think it applies here. Remember the first time you braked hard on a wet road with ABS brakes?

The only downside I can imagine is that somebody might think it's now safe to text and drive because they visualize their Tesla as a kid's bowling ball bouncing off gutter guards.

Testing it this morning, after my 3rd intentional move toward the right shoulder on a busy two lane street, I got a loud warning sound. The on-screen message seemed quite stern...without my reading glasses I couldn't make it out. Decided to discontinue the test thinking that if I keep this up the car might shut me down for possible DUI!

On my rural neighbordood road I intentionally moved across the center line to give space to a pedestrian on the right. The LDA was totally unexpected and surprized me but I continued into the left lane, overriding it without a second thought. Very little steering pressure required to take control.

I knew positively that the M3 was a great car when my tech-fearful wife stopped asking if she could have her Audi back.
Lane Departure Warning should be named drunk mode. The fact that you cannot permanently disable it in my opinion is a bug.