Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Rolls Out Workplace Charging Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has unveiled a new charging program that provides chargers to companies and commercial property owners throughout the U.S.

The Workplace Charging program is similar to to the Destination Charging network that provides free charging stations to restaurants, hotels, and resorts.

Tesla will be providing wall connectors, the same units that owners install in their homes. The connector is hardwired into a home or business’s electrical system and is designed for 208-240 volt power supplies. The connectors normally cost $500 each.

Tesla says it will install the systems and electricity costs will be the responsibility of the property owner or business.

To keep the chargers dedicated to employees, they will not be available to the public, nor seen on public Tesla maps.

Tesla has added a form on its website to request more information or suggest a charging site.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be where having a proprietary charging station is a negative. I can see a lot of companies passing on this as it favors only 1 car manufacturer.

Where I work charging stations are already treated like gold covered unicorns far too many EV with lists and such for swapping spots to grab some juice, and the 110 outlets are forbidden to be used. They even went as far as to jack the $$ rate after 4hrs of charging to help promote people to move. So while it would be awesome for them to obtain some free hardware I wonder if the proprietary nature would kill it for them.
On the other hand people complain that Tesla cars shouldn't even use the charging station at work because their battery is so big "they don't need a charge" is the view seen. Which I find comical because maybe the car is running low and the owner needs to get somewhere, not sure why battery size changes ones needs, and the rate is faily high so no free lunch.

Anyone know if these would be setup to allow billing of a customer?

This might be where having a proprietary charging station is a negative. I can see a lot of companies passing on this as it favors only 1 car manufacturer.

You do know they install both Tesla and J1772 EVSEs under this program. I'm sure Tesla wants to install majority tesla connector and minority J1772 but it'd be worth pursuing if they will install a few of each and it helps increase the overall number of charging spots in your lot.

You can get BOTH Tesla and non-Tesla chargers as part of the program. Depending on your location, they will do a 3 to 1 ration of Tesla to non-Tesla chargers, and it will decrease to 2 to 1 and even 1 to 1 if you install enough chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm