Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Route Planning App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking at planning my first road trip in my new LR AWD. I've been looking at the Tesla provided planning app, on their web site: https://www.tesla.com/trips. It has me doing 2 very short stops along the way. One of them only has me charging for 5 minutes, at a supercharger that will take about 15 minutes of time to get off of the interstate, plug in and get back on the interstate. I don't see how this makes sense. If I skip that stop, it's still only a 229 mile leg with a 30 minute charge at the end.

Also, I don't see a place in this site to enter the starting charge. it seems like I could start at 100% and show up at the 229 mile charging point with around 30% on board.

Is there a better way to trip plan?

The two sites that are usually recommended for doing a little preplanning are:
www.abetterrouteplanner.com
www.evtripplanner.com

Some people prefer the interface of one over the other. I generally prefer the second one. But when I am on a trip, the car kind of picks it pretty well, unless it's picking something that doesn't make sense, like a 5 minute charge, or a 50+ minute charge. I am used to generally not letting the car pick my stops for an entire long route in case it does something kind of dumb like that. (I've had it burn me before.) I will just zoom out on the map to select which is the next sensible Supercharger location and then just navigate directly to it.