Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla routine service - you have to laugh..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
My S is 2yrs old so I rang up to book a service. The usual sweetie at Digbeth pointing out I could do it via the App..until i pointed out that their App can't find my address. The farm name comes up as a different farm, the road has no name and the App doesn't recognise the local hamlet or nearest town name let alone the postcode...

Anyhoo. we get on to a date (suprisingly soon 10th sept) and include the free update to HW3 and then I'm offered a list of items to choose from...

Now folks, I'm not a trained EV mechanic so how am I supposed to make those judgements? Brakes I had to argue last year to get checked, I like brakes. I feel they're important. Especially in Welsh mud and snow and ice and bendy steep roads and stray sheep. I get told that they recommend brake pads be cleaned every year. So how come last year they told me the brakes didn't need checking (until i insisted).

I get offered a dessicant bag swap.. costs £390 'cos apparently they drain the A/C and re-gas it BUT not doing it doesn't affect the warranty. Well the a/c works so i pass. I ask about the sunroof which reports suggest should be checked and seals lubricated but I'm told they only do that if it 'judders'...

They want me there at 8.00 am. As I say receptionist is a sweetie and after i point out this old geezer has to get up at 4am to sort himself before the 90min to 2hr run to Birmingham (allowing for morning traffic and holdups) she offers me a 2day loaner so i can drop by after lunch...

sorted.

if the nearest Tesla SC is 2 hours drive away, why not check for a local garage that deals with EV's, there's plenty about. Most of the service items are standard generic car service items not specific to EV's. It's also a LOT cheaper.
Things like brakes still need doing, but rather than checking/changing the pads and disks you really just need them cleaning and the pins greasing (unless you've managed about 60k a year) , so it's preventative maintenance rather than replacing anything, really should be part of any EV service.

• Love
Reactions: MadScientist
if the nearest Tesla SC is 2 hours drive away, why not check for a local garage that deals with EV's, there's plenty about. Most of the service items are standard generic car service items not specific to EV's. It's also a LOT cheaper.
Things like brakes still need doing, but rather than checking/changing the pads and disks you really just need them cleaning and the pins greasing (unless you've managed about 60k a year) , so it's preventative maintenance rather than replacing anything, really should be part of any EV service.

So the nearest EV garage half way up the middle of Wales (familiar with the S) is where?
As it happens I'm due upgrade to HW3 anyway.
I expect a vehicle to come with stated service intervals/items (time/mileage) not a pick list for the owner to decide on nor a siuation where Tesla has a history of flip-flopping over what is a warranty issue or not and might suddenly decide that something not picked has invalidated a part.

So the nearest EV garage half way up the middle of Wales (familiar with the S) is where?
As it happens I'm due upgrade to HW3 anyway.
I expect a vehicle to come with stated service intervals/items (time/mileage) not a pick list for the owner to decide on nor a siuation where Tesla has a history of flip-flopping over what is a warranty issue or not and might suddenly decide that something not picked has invalidated a part.

It might be worth developing a relationship with your nearest garage if that's feasible. Mine now knows about using the jack pads (that I provide) and leaving the door cracked open to stop auto locking and to avoid opening the door using the emergency release! Many of the mechanical systems are common to all cars ... brakes are brakes for example. If they have any professionalism they will see it as an opportunity to increase their range of skills and knowledge... they will be needed ever more frequently for their business in the future. One of the advantages of the non-dealership Tesla model is that you are not compelled/pressured to use Tesla service during the warranty period.