Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ruined it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
I have always been a car guy, loved cars since I can remember. My Father would go to car shows and I would tag along loving every minute. Drag strips on weekends, couldn't get enough. Fast forward to 2018, was at the Washington DC auto show with my son, we left the show late in the day, walked about 3 blocks when we saw a long line at a Tesla store. Everyone was there to see the Model 3 that just arrived. We waited over an hour to get in for a 2 minute viewing. After that I convinced the wife to go down with me a few weeks later, she saw the Model 3 and wasn't really that excited. But in that show room was a White Model X, that was the ticket for her, she couldn't stop talking about it, she was hooked solid ! We placed our order in April and picked it up July 6th. Now I have no desire to ever go to an auto show again, unless by some chance Tesla is there. I have no desire to ever go to a car dealer again or to drive any kind of ICE car again. Am I crazy? There is just something that happens, and until you experience this phenomenon I guess you will never understand.
Thank you Tesla, Thank you ELON ! You have changed my life forever.

You're definitely not alone there, OP. I got hooked the moment I test drove a Leaf for the first time. After getting my Zoe I only drive ICE cars for two occasions: One while the Zoe was getting repaired after a minor accident, and then again while on a business trip in the US.

I also felt range anxiety for the first time when I got into an ICE again, because suddenly the range remaining went from 150km to 65km after having driven only 50km at moderate speed. You get used to the very reliable GOM in the Zoe very quickly, and it's extremely disturbing to see the range drop that fast, and to not really be able to eke out more range by going a little slower.

So yeah, no. Not interested in steam engines and horseback carriages anymore. Especially since you have to pay 3x the price to get a car with better performance than a Tesla. It's a no-brainer.

• Funny
Reactions: Richt and 2012MS85
I have always been a car guy, loved cars since I can remember. My Father would go to car shows and I would tag along loving every minute. Drag strips on weekends, couldn't get enough. Fast forward to 2018, was at the Washington DC auto show with my son, we left the show late in the day, walked about 3 blocks when we saw a long line at a Tesla store. Everyone was there to see the Model 3 that just arrived. We waited over an hour to get in for a 2 minute viewing. After that I convinced the wife to go down with me a few weeks later, she saw the Model 3 and wasn't really that excited. But in that show room was a White Model X, that was the ticket for her, she couldn't stop talking about it, she was hooked solid ! We placed our order in April and picked it up July 6th. Now I have no desire to ever go to an auto show again, unless by some chance Tesla is there. I have no desire to ever go to a car dealer again or to drive any kind of ICE car again. Am I crazy? There is just something that happens, and until you experience this phenomenon I guess you will never understand.

Yeh... I get it. After 4+ years, an ICE seems like an anachronism. My wife's Audi seems slow... and noisy... and vibrates... and is unnecessarily complicated. And I hate the smell of gas stations. It's amazing how quickly you get spoiled.

Now I have no desire to ever go to an auto show again, unless by some chance Tesla is there. I have no desire to ever go to a car dealer again or to drive any kind of ICE car again. Am I crazy? There is just something that happens, and until you experience this phenomenon I guess you will never understand.

A) A car show is the best place to gloat and prove how great your decision was.
B) There are some other EVs at some shows that are worth watching.

OP: you are crazy. And I am too. Love my Model X.

My other car is the anti-Tesla. A 14 year old Jeep Wrangler. I don't think of it as a car. I think of it as what I drive when I don't want to get the Tesla dirty. Or as a 4-wheel motorcycle whenever the top and doors come off. That's the only way to get a better view than from the driver's seat of a Model X. I put maybe 500 miles on the Jeep since I got the Tesla. I really should sell it.

• Funny
Reactions: Richt
You forgot the exclamation marks to make the title more convincing!!!! :)
The only thing I am still thinking about going back to ICE is the nicer interior. But then everytime I could not get passed the fact of having to go to the gas station every week, losing the smooth and quiet rides, losing the car pool lane privelidge, and losing the cheap license sticker that Arizona offers ($100 for 5 years instead of $1000/year for a car in this price range).

Reactions: Jaywlker
I completely understand you.

I got my Model X in June 2017. Since then, I've driven my wife's BMW M2 3 times, and hated it every time. It is noisy, its acceleration is slow, its suspension is harsh and there is no automation. The DCT is just slow compared to driving an EV as a daily driver.

Next week, it will be replaced by a Model 3 Performance.

Last edited:
Same here. When I got my Model S my wife was happy for me but didn't care all that much. We transitioned essentially all of our family driving over the Model S, but she was scared to drive it for a few months. Out of necessity, she had to drive it once while her Infiniti SUV was being worked on. When she got back to the house after driving the Model S she had a huge smile on her face and told me how awesome it was to drive. It wasn't long before she started wishing for a Model X.

There's no doubt that her next vehicle will be a Tesla. I'm just waiting for the Model Y reveal so that I can make the decision of Model X vs Y.

I have a 2000 Land Rover Discovery with 190,000 miles that I'd like to convert to electric. The body is in great shape and I love the car.
Problem is, it will probably cost too much to convert it. I think it would be better to just wait for the Bollinger B1.
Contact Richard and get a quote for the conversion. You might be surprised.
Robin
Richard van Wyhe
EV4U Custom Conversions
Shasta Lake, California
www.EV4Unow.com

Let's ask (beg) Elon to attend auto shows. I love (loved) going to them before and want to have a reason to continue. But sitting in new cars with all those annoying buttons all over the dash, knowing that you'll have to hear that "God awful" transmission shifting while driving and all the other down sides to gas cars simply KILLS my desire to attend. At least having some Tesla's there would make the trip and the effort 100% better ! I encourage everyone to Tweet Elon and ask for auto show attendance. A few years ago we were at the show in Philadelphia PA, the local store had a red model S at that show. People were lined up 40 -50 in the line to sit in this car. It was the highlight, Tesla could be the highlight at the other shows as well.....just sayin