Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ruined it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, see this Mustang? For 20+ years I have been in love with it. Fully restored with Shelby suspension and HP 289, with a serious exhaust note. brand new interior, $10,000 in just parts. I was quite sure I would miss the roar of the American muscle V8.

IMG_20130812_162836 (1).jpg

I was wrong. Silence is golden.
Startled me that I am ready to sell it. The LR dual motor M3 makes the Mustang feel slow, and It doesn't smell like gasoline. Anytime I see an exhaust pipe in traffic now, I see the arse-end of an ICE vehicle. The end of an era for me, I never saw that coming.

IMG_20190207_105531.jpg

It's not just you.

My love of all things Tesla has made me a car guy... before Tesla, car's were just cars..
Same here... never cared about cars. But I became a Tesla maniac to the point people think I lost my mind (except other Tesla owners : ). Just traded in my 1st Model S 75D to a 100D last December... with the 327 miles range, the premium sound and interior, all I want to do is driving!!

Reactions: Tron 3 and derkan
In my Model 3 I went to a gas station this morning for the first time since mid-May. Embarrassing, but I needed gas for my generator since we're anticipating inches of snow in the Seattle area, and we do occasionally lose power. Actually, I went to two gas stations, as I couldn't get the pump to work at the first one. Embarrassing, given my age. But a good feeling.

• Funny
Reactions: Jaywlker and derkan
Yeah, see this Mustang? For 20+ years I have been in love with it. Fully restored with Shelby suspension and HP 289, with a serious exhaust note. brand new interior, $10,000 in just parts. I was quite sure I would miss the roar of the American muscle V8.

View attachment 375221

I was wrong. Silence is golden.
Startled me that I am ready to sell it. The LR dual motor M3 makes the Mustang feel slow, and It doesn't smell like gasoline. Anytime I see an exhaust pipe in traffic now, I see the arse-end of an ICE vehicle. The end of an era for me, I never saw that coming.

View attachment 375224

It's not just you.

I understand now why they call Tesla disruptive

Same here... never cared about cars. But I became a Tesla maniac to the point people think I lost my mind (except other Tesla owners : ). Just traded in my 1st Model S 75D to a 100D last December... with the 327 miles range, the premium sound and interior, all I want to do is driving!!
I couldn't agree more! Cars! I have helped with so many repairs, engine replacements, etc. I HATE driving! And I have to drive 47 miles to work and 47 miles back home. But, I don't drive my Model 3. It drives me while I am serenaded with those amazing 15 speakers. Every time I reach my destination, I don't want to get out of the car. And while driving, I see these noisy vehicles that pour exhaust out of those pipes. People can't believe I have so much to say about a CAR!! ME!! Tesla's are going to take over the market with us selling them!

Reactions: Jaywlker and Tron 3
Like others who posted here, I experienced the quite unexpected change in personal preferences after just a few weeks of driving my S, 5 years ago. Now I'm in an X, and the feelings of disdain for ICE vehicles are stronger. Not quite dislike, but definitely disrespect, and approaching disdain. These feelings do not originate from the Teslas' vanishing carbon footprint, or the greening of our commuting/traveling. Those aspects are terrific and satisfying, especially because we converted our home to solar when we bought the S. We have a perfectly integrated EV system. No, the reason that Teslas give their owners a superiority complex is that the cars are so well conceived and engineered to be technological marvels. Every time I climb into the X and pull into the road it's like cruising in the Starship Enterprise. I feel kind of sorry for other drivers who don't have the thrill of instant acceleration, or the confidence of precise cruise control, or the incredible graphic access to all the car's systems, or the overnight operating system updates, or the beautiful view of the world from the open cockpit of the X. Not to mention the fantastic ride, nor the falcon wing doors, that are more cool frosting on the cake. Ferraris, Lamborginis, Bentleys .... they belong in a museum somewhere. I'll never go back to that old technology.

Let's ask (beg) Elon to attend auto shows. I love (loved) going to them before and want to have a reason to continue. But sitting in new cars with all those annoying buttons all over the dash, knowing that you'll have to hear that "God awful" transmission shifting while driving and all the other down sides to gas cars simply KILLS my desire to attend. At least having some Tesla's there would make the trip and the effort 100% better ! I encourage everyone to Tweet Elon and ask for auto show attendance. A few years ago we were at the show in Philadelphia PA, the local store had a red model S at that show. People were lined up 40 -50 in the line to sit in this car. It was the highlight, Tesla could be the highlight at the other shows as well.....just sayin

what accounts as attending an auto show? I've been to the la auto show 2x a row and they're always there. small booth though, not grand and flashy like the other companies. being a tesla owner i just pass by it really quick because its just a cute little corner.

You forgot the exclamation marks to make the title more convincing!!!! :)
The only thing I am still thinking about going back to ICE is the nicer interior. But then everytime I could not get passed the fact of having to go to the gas station every week, losing the smooth and quiet rides, losing the car pool lane privelidge, and losing the cheap license sticker that Arizona offers ($100 for 5 years instead of $1000/year for a car in this price range).
Arizona is great about EV registration fees. I pay more to register my beater 2002 Ford Escape that is used once a month and blue book valued at around $750 than I did for my M3 Performance with EAP and FSD for FIVE years.

Reactions: Tron 3
I have always been a car guy, loved cars since I can remember. My Father would go to car shows and I would tag along loving every minute. Drag strips on weekends, couldn't get enough. Fast forward to 2018, was at the Washington DC auto show with my son, we left the show late in the day, walked about 3 blocks when we saw a long line at a Tesla store. Everyone was there to see the Model 3 that just arrived. We waited over an hour to get in for a 2 minute viewing. After that I convinced the wife to go down with me a few weeks later, she saw the Model 3 and wasn't really that excited. But in that show room was a White Model X, that was the ticket for her, she couldn't stop talking about it, she was hooked solid ! We placed our order in April and picked it up July 6th. Now I have no desire to ever go to an auto show again, unless by some chance Tesla is there. I have no desire to ever go to a car dealer again or to drive any kind of ICE car again. Am I crazy? There is just something that happens, and until you experience this phenomenon I guess you will never understand.
Thank you Tesla, Thank you ELON ! You have changed my life forever.

We're all crazy, isn't that great. I'm enjoying it.

Yeh... I get it. After 4+ years, an ICE seems like an anachronism. My wife's Audi seems slow... and noisy... and vibrates... and is unnecessarily complicated. And I hate the smell of gas stations. It's amazing how quickly you get spoiled.
The only gas station I’ve pulled into in the last 7 months since I got my Model 3 was to use a Supercharger at the Wawa in Orlando

Arizona is great about EV registration fees. I pay more to register my beater 2002 Ford Escape that is used once a month and blue book valued at around $750 than I did for my M3 Performance with EAP and FSD for FIVE years.
That changed in January thanks to Doug Ducey. No discount for EV in order to fund more remote area cops. The voters in this State should not have voted in a GOP Governor. In addition, he raised all vehicles another $36 per year... He used a loophole so it would not go to a public vote.

Last edited:
So I’m a car guy to, grew up sweeping the floors and getting greasy in my dads repair shop. Always loved working on cars, ended up working in car dealerships running the operation side of the business. Driven all kinds of cars in my life time and mostly owned Jaguars since 1970. Installed solar in 2010 and was looking for an electric car but nothing out there that was all electric and that was not ugly. So in December of 2012 got my monthly subscription to Automobile Magazine and on the cover the Model S was Automobile car of the year. I knew of Tesla from the Roadster but was blown away with the design of the S. Started doing some research, put some money down to reserve and went to Menlo Park to test drive and immediately got hooked. Still drinking the kool aid and loving every minute of it!

I have always been a car guy, loved cars since I can remember. My Father would go to car shows and I would tag along loving every minute. Drag strips on weekends, couldn't get enough. Fast forward to 2018, was at the Washington DC auto show with my son, we left the show late in the day, walked about 3 blocks when we saw a long line at a Tesla store. Everyone was there to see the Model 3 that just arrived. We waited over an hour to get in for a 2 minute viewing. After that I convinced the wife to go down with me a few weeks later, she saw the Model 3 and wasn't really that excited. But in that show room was a White Model X, that was the ticket for her, she couldn't stop talking about it, she was hooked solid ! We placed our order in April and picked it up July 6th. Now I have no desire to ever go to an auto show again, unless by some chance Tesla is there. I have no desire to ever go to a car dealer again or to drive any kind of ICE car again. Am I crazy? There is just something that happens, and until you experience this phenomenon I guess you will never understand.
Thank you Tesla, Thank you ELON ! You have changed my life forever.

Just like you, I have always been a lover of cars. My husband owns a 1962 Thunderbird convertible. We were at a car show, showing his car when I saw my first Tesla. From that moment, I read everything I could about Tesla, I went to a Tesla show room and took several test drives, I started hanging out at the Tesla charge stations close to my house to talk to Tesla owners. When Tesla started taking deposits on the Model 3, I was one of the first ones to make a deposit. At that time I thought I could only afford the Model 3.

Well three years later, I now am the proud owner of a white Model X.

Yesterday my husband and I took his 1962 T-Bird and my 2018 Model X to a car show. His car won Best Car of Show and my Model X got 1st place for Best Under the Hood. Not sure how that happened as there were some pretty clean and powerful gas engines at the show. Also, my Model X took third place for Best Interior. I have the white interior. I also had the new fireplace video that we all got with an update we got in December 2018.

Don’t give up on the car shows. Take your Model X to the show, open up those falcon wing doors and you will be amazed at all the attention your car will get. All the funny questions you will be asked. All the debates about eco foot print that electric verses ice cars, etc.

I love, love, love my Tesla.

That changed in January thanks to Doug Ducey. No discount for EV in order to fund more remote area cops. The voters in this State should not have voted in a GOP Governor. In addition, he raised all vehicles another $36 per year... He used a loophole so it would not go to a public vote.
The governor cannot create/change legislation, but if the state legislature changed the law, I’m glad to have registered mine before the change!

Gov. Ducey signed the bipartisan legislation. It will change registration fees from practically nill to more than a $1,000 for Tesla M3-style vehicles beginning in 2020, apparently. Time to buy!
Ducey signs bill for new $18 car-registration fee – could free up money for teachers

Gov. Ducey signed the bipartisan legislation. It will change registration fees from practically nill to more than a $1,000 for Tesla M3-style vehicles beginning in 2020, apparently. Time to buy!
Ducey signs bill for new $18 car-registration fee – could free up money for teachers
It has already gone into effect as of January this year and is meeting some backlash now that it has come to light, especially the supposed $18 increase that ballooned to $36 more per year for every vehicle.

None of this money was to support teachers but the Republicans in the legislature are trying to rob Peter to pay Paul. There are not enough Democrats in the legislature to get true bipartisan rule and there are not enough of us EV'ers to fight against the legislators raising our rates and the misguided former Mesa politician Bob Worsley (Tesla owner by the way) who drafted the bill for Ducey to sign causing the decimation of EV registration.

Ducey was trying to give teachers basically nothing and they forced his hand by using a strike to do something to increase their pay which was the worst in the Nation.

Republicans have the power in AZ and need to own up to the sorry conditions they have created. Roads, schools, and on and on...

These types of raising taxes need to be voted on by the public not snuck though on some obscure loophole.

Anyway, I am still glad to have my three EV's that were all registered before, but I was just hit with 5 years of new fees on my Harley.

Last edited:
It has already gone into effect as of January this year and is meeting some backlash now that it has come to light, especially the supposed $18 increase that ballooned to $36 more per year for every vehicle.

None of this money was to support teachers but the Republicans in the legislature are trying to rob Peter to pay Paul. There are not enough Democrats in the legislature to get true bipartisan rule and there are not enough of us EV'ers to fight against the legislators raising our rates and the misguided former Mesa politician Bob Worsley (Tesla owner by the way) who drafted the bill for Ducey to sign causing the decimation of EV registration.

Ducey was trying to give teachers basically nothing and they forced his hand by using a strike to do something to increase their pay which was the worst in the Nation.

Republicans have the power in AZ and need to own up to the sorry conditions they have created. Roads, schools, and on and on...

These types of raising taxes need to be voted on by the public not snuck though on some obscure loophole.

Anyway, I am still glad to have my three EV's that were all registered before, but I was just hit with 5 years of new fees on my Harley.

My wife is a teacher and she’s glad to have received a 10% raise, with another 10% coming by 2020. I think we have excellent schools and roads here in AZ. I’m sure you are as glad as I am that we are fortunate enough to afford multiple BEVs (we have two M3s), and a Harley (mine was a Ducati, but potato po-tah-to, right?). Cheers!

Reactions: mspohr
My wife is a teacher and she’s glad to have received a 10% raise, with another 10% coming by 2020. I think we have excellent schools and roads here in AZ. I’m sure you are as glad as I am that we are fortunate enough to afford multiple BEVs (we have two M3s), and a Harley (mine was a Ducati, but potato po-tah-to, right?). Cheers!
Cool! My in-laws side has many educators. Teachers deserve a lot of credit.

Reactions: Jaywlker