Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla runs into a PLANE while summoned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was using Full Self Driving Capability feature. Seems close enough. :p
I wonder if FSD Beta would run into a plane. Someone should do an experiment.
Smart Summon will be a subset of FSD, since it will use the new (beta) software stack when its ready. Right now it just uses the old stack and the ultrasonic sensors. So this accident was nothing to do with FSD beta and everything to do with a dumb user.

Smart Summon will be a subset of FSD, since it will use the new (beta) software stack when its ready. Right now it just uses the old stack and the ultrasonic sensors. So this accident was nothing to do with FSD beta and everything to do with a dumb user.
You seem to be overlooking the key italicized word: FSD Capability feature) since it is a feature of.

Also see my post Daniel in SD was quoting: Tesla runs into a PLANE while summoned

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 7.19.00 PM.png

Last edited:
What was this person thinking running smart summon on an airport tarmac. Why didn’t he or she cancel the smart summon when it was obvious there was an impending collision? Almost looks like creative insurance fraud.

Agreed but smart summon really does suck. That 2016 FSD video was such a huge fraud. 6 years later and it still crashes into everything and has little to no utility.

robotaxi service being fully ready in 2024.

That's 100% not going to happen.

Some have already mentioned though that Smart Summon doesn't use the same software that FSD uses... it's less capable.

My guess now is that the remote operator thought the car would clear the jet, but was $3.5 million dollars wrong.

Seeing the plane spin in its wheels, I wonder if it was even damaged.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Ok...
Remember when that guy apparently hit summon by accident, didn't realize it, got out of his car, walked into a store, while his car started going and he didn't know it, Tesla blamed him, but then later on changed summon so it requires an acknowledgement before it officially activates?.... anyway...

I believe you have to literally hold your finger down on the summon button as you watch the car drive over to you, so this story does not seem to make much sense.

Could something capacitive in your pocket hold that button down though?

I'm not familiar with this story and not defending it, just thinking it doesn't sound entirely far fetched.

Most phones have proximity sensors so that they can tell when you put the phone to your ear or in a pocket and not think it's you pushing buttons.

The design of summon goes against every detail of this story. You stand -away- from your car with your phone. You start the summon feature. The car wakes, looks around and prepares a path to come get you. You stand there with your phone supervising the car as it drives very slowly thru the lot over to you while you watch it the entire time so it doesn't run over any toddlers or otherwise get stuck. This does not in any way resemble "accidentally hit summon while inside the car, then got out, went in a store, and the car ran amok".

I agree we don't know the details, but I immediately go into skeptical mode when people report that features took on a life of their own and caused a very human looking crash. I am reminded of the infamous "runaway audis" where these cars supposedly leapt into buildings despite the driver have the brake pressed to the floor (it turned out to be the gas pedal which was floored when solid data was finally found)

Last edited:
I believe you have to literally hold your finger down on the summon button as you watch the car drive over to you, so this story does not seem to make much sense.
You don't have to be watching the car and can send it to any point on the map within range as long as not on a public street. You can be around the corner of a building and stupidly use Summon to drive the car away from you.

I remember a person trying to Summon into a parking space from a point they could not clearly see and the car hit a small/thin tree or a pole.

Reactions: Barklikeadog
Tesla released the second by second logs of the incident. It was how I described it. We argued this extensively 6 years ago.

Anyway, the question was, do newer Tesla's still have the summon issue of not seeing over the bumper or skinny objects?

I almost summoned my car into an accident yesterday. I pulled into my shop and when I got into my office I saw on my ring cameras that I parked the car a little far out in the parking spot. No problem, I thouht, I’ll summon it foward.

Pressed the button, but no movement on the camera. Then my phone says “summon is stopping” and I was trying to figure out why it wasn’t working. Then all of a sudden the car is teleported about one foot away from the wall of my shop.

Turns out the Ring dashboard only updates once per 30 seconds. Derp.

😬

Reactions: UCF3
Tesla released the second by second logs of the incident. It was how I described it. We argued this extensively 6 years ago.

Anyway, the question was, do newer Tesla's still have the summon issue of not seeing over the bumper or skinny objects?
Not Only does FSD hit skinny poles, it can’t see non skinny poles. In full daylight. For $12k

3:35