Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla runs into a PLANE while summoned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On teslas website right now, Summon is listed as a feature of FSD.

Being a feature of a package does not make something identical to it, otherwise we'd have people claiming an "automatic high beams" feature is the same as a "Advanced Navigation System" if they came as part of that package.

When you order the FSD package, you get a "Summon" feature as part of the package. Summon is NOT the same thing as FSD. But you'll probably want to argue about it anyway.

Being a feature of a package does not make something identical to it, otherwise we'd have people claiming an "automatic high beams" feature is the same as a "Advanced Navigation System" if they came as part of that package.

When you order the FSD package, you get a "Summon" feature as part of the package. Summon is NOT the same thing as FSD. But you'll probably want to argue about it anyway.

I will just refer to something I posted earlier in this thread:

Thats not nearly as much of a "Lets get conversation going!" topic as saying "FSD" though, which is likely why the thread title was chosen the way it was.

And add that the above is my opinion on why the fixation with calling this "FSD" and getting into the semantics of whether being part of a package means that everything in the package behaves the same way.

Apparently the mod for this subform changed the thread title to read "summon" at the end of the title rather than how it was originally posted, which is "FSD", but thats my opinion on why the continued focus is on "FSD".

I will just refer to something I posted earlier in this thread:

And add that the above is my opinion on why the fixation with calling this "FSD" and getting into the semantics of whether being part of a package means that everything in the package behaves the same way.

Apparently the mod for this subform changed the thread title to read "summon" at the end of the title rather than how it was originally posted, which is "FSD", but thats my opinion on why the continued focus is on "FSD".
Unfortunately it’s not just here that there’s confusion. I’ve read a couple of articles that say ‘auto pilot cause a Tesla to crash…’ Clearly, this is not Auto Pilot, nor is it FSD.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Unfortunately it’s not just here that there’s confusion. I’ve read a couple of articles that say ‘auto pilot cause a Tesla to crash…’ Clearly, this is not Auto Pilot, nor is it FSD.

Sure... but HERE, there is no "confusion". At best, its a "disagreement" on what something is called, either to attempt to prove a point, or, more likely "drive discussion".

You don't have to be watching the car and can send it to any point on the map within range as long as not on a public street. You can be around the corner of a building and stupidly use Summon to drive the car away from you.

I remember a person trying to Summon into a parking space from a point they could not clearly see and the car hit a small/thin tree or a pole.
That I don’t understand - I have my charging cable hanging from a track on my garage ceiling. If it’s not pushed all the way back to the wall the car will detect it and beep. The parking ramp at work also has metal/cement poles that are about 6" in diameter and my car has no problem 'seeing' them with the ultrasonic sensors.

Last edited:
I will agree that there has been some improvements - in Dec 2021, I was driving using Autopilot/ FSD through a section of Mojave desert in So Cal and the road had a lot of ups and downs going over smaller hills and in one section the climb was so steep that as it reached the top the camera could NOT see any road ( even I could not see the road as the steep dip downwards was possibly 2-3 feet ahead of the car)- Autopilot (unable to see the road ahead - only the sky was visible) went into action gave loud beeps, red waring on the dash to take control and Autopilot disengaged. Considering the state of maturity of FSD , this was probably the best option for the sw to deal with this situation. As the product matures, I am sure it will be in a better position to handle similar situations.
Tesla's lack a camera at the number plate level in the front. That is why Tesla does not have 365 view for parking assist. That is why Tesla's can't park itself in forward direction like in an angled slots in front direction. It can do a reverse parking and parallel parking. I plan to install a Hansshow or other monitor on my Model Y this summer with a front low height camera.

So FSD can't see an animal or small child directly in front of it???

<horrified>

FSD might not see something small hiding directly under the nose of the car (although it might detect it using the parking sensors). Note that a human driver would also not be able to see it, which is roughly what FSD is working to automate.

Summon (as currently implemented) apparently has the opposite problem, that it might not see an airplane that's 4 feet off the ground but low enough to hit the roof.

Reactions: sleepydoc
7FEC0D4F-A61D-4984-972C-ADD161FA810E.jpeg
B3D2C990-0FA1-4D7B-ACFC-4497D5E6DA15.jpeg
Here’s a quick test I did. Neighborhood kids set up this limbo pole, so I couldn’t resist testing Summon. My Model 3 appropriately stopped. Once I removed the horizontal pole, car proceeded with appropriate caution.

IMHO seem dumb to experiment with an expensive car if you can’t see it, as was reported to be the case with the airplane

View attachment 796886View attachment 796887
Here’s a quick test I did. Neighborhood kids set up this limbo pole, so I couldn’t resist testing Summon. My Model 3 appropriately stopped. Once I removed the horizontal pole, car proceeded with appropriate caution.

IMHO seem dumb to experiment with an expensive car if you can’t see it, as was reported to be the case with the airplane
don't experiment with a good pole saw!

Reactions: Pricedm

Now can you repeat the experiment with a $2M plane? :p

Only when less than 30" or so when proximity sensors pick up the object

What we don't know is that the car stopped because of the shadow of the pole on the ground, not the pole

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6