Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always dreamed of being retired and driving around North America. Yet as I have aged long drives are more difficult, and my preference is more and more to comfortable and familiar accommodations.

I am putting it out there that a Tesla RV would be awesome.

I would be the first in line to purchase a Tesla RV and just downsize my house.

I'll be second in line.

I think once Tesla is more established and generating positive earnings they will have the ability to pursue more "moonshots" so to speak. That 200kw Roadster battery and whatever the heck it is that they are using to power the semi point the way to the RV.

With batteries increasing in energy density and decreasing in cost, its just a matter of time until some company starts doing this. And as the Supercharger network continues to expand, there will come a point where you will be able to drive your Tesla RV anywhere in the lower 48.

Only problem I see is that the current Superchargers do not really support larger vehicles. I wonder if in the future Tesla will start leaving a few wider spaces, and perhaps longer too to allow for future RV charging?

RT

Reactions: BerTX and Iluvpcs
Only problem I see is that the current Superchargers do not really support larger vehicles. I wonder if in the future Tesla will start leaving a few wider spaces, and perhaps longer too to allow for future RV charging?

RT

I want one too. Bad. Even seriously contemplating a Semi tractor with a massive custom camper box on the back - like some crazy Unimog setups I've seen. I'm waiting impatiently to learn more about the MegaCharger network....

What about a Tiny Home and a Model X and use the car to tow around your home and road trip all around the country. I probably would get the "biggest" tiny home the X can safely tow.

tesla_tiny_house-melbourne-7347-e1502674268121.jpg

This is one area in which I think Tesla really screwed up on.

There is this thing called Van-Life right now, and it's a pretty big deal. You'd think it would just be a few twenty somethings living life off-grid, but it's not. It's lots of different people from various walks of life.

It sounds a bit nutty until you look into everything involved.

The way mass automation has pushed people out of the job market. Robots aren't stealing peoples jobs just yet, but the way technology makes a person way more efficient is.
The way home prices have gone through the roof in places like Seattle, SF, etc.

With a small RV like a converted Sprinter Van you get both a vehicle you can park in a normal parking spot, and something livable for one or two people if everything comes crashing down. It also gives you a way of getting away from the millions of people that are your new neighbors.

Now I don't think Tesla should have made an RV, but they should have made a Cargo van where they allowed other companies to convert it into an RV. The cargo van itself would sell like hotcakes to companies that want to give a green image let alone the companies where it would lower overall cost.

The vans also sell for a reasonable chunk of change.

A new 4x4 MB Sprinter Van is around the $50K-$60K mark and it lacks basic things like adaptive cruise control.

Making it reasonably adaptable to converting to an RV would also net quite a few sales especially if they had options that made adaption easy.

The quoted lead times from companies that convert the vans are somewhere around the 18 month range because the demand is so high. They are because people like myself want a stealthy RV.

What would make a Tesla Cargo Van based RV so cool is it would be cheaper to convert than a sprinter van. What happens when they convert a Sprinter Van to an RV? They add a bunch of batteries to start with, and the really expensive ones have lithium ion batteries to give the customer a lot of capacity. To do things like running an A/C unit.

Tesla also sells solar panels so obviously they'd sell the everything as a kit to an RV manufacture like Winnebago.

I don't know why Tesla didn't do the analysis. Why they chose to go after the Semi market first which takes a new charging infrastructure. They already had the charging infrastructure to support cargo vans.

They also already had a customer base that was into sustainability. The exact kind of people that would buy a Tesla based RV.

Tesla didn't have anything viable so sometime in March I'll have a Winnebago Revel next to my Tesla. It replaces my Jeep Wrangler as my weekend fun vehicle to take to get up into the Mountains. Now I didn't pay the full MSRP for it. They go for about 20-25% off MSRP. I couldn't find anything close to what it does in the $100K mark so I got it. I'm excited for it, but it's not the same excitement as what a Tesla RV would have been.

To Tesla's credit the fact that I'm able to sell the Jeep means that the Tesla Model S I have is a viable primary means of transportation. I had the Jeep as a backup for things where the Tesla wouldn't be viable for. But, now days it's tough for me to justify that pair. So that means I'm replacing the Jeep with something even more different than it was to the Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: kelly
Also it may be the case that some RV coach builders are looking hard at the Tesla semi for a high end RV. Seems like the perfect platform.
This is also my thinking. Semi is meant to replace a standard truck, so the whole space behind the cabin has to conform to standard trailer hookups etc. This opens the market for 3rd parties to use the Semi as a base for a very slick and futuristic RV.

Reactions: calisnow
The Tesla Truck that Elon "teased" at the reveal may or may not be a joke... knowing Elon he is semi-serious (pun intended) about this concept and the semi platform would make for many possibilities. Simply cut 2 motors and it becomes a 2-axle platform that's easy to build just about any shell on top of. There will be some exciting future vehicles coming from Tesla if the latest offerings are any indication. I just hope they can expand fast enough.

Tesla is an interesting company, very forward thinking.

Having read all the thoughtful replies to this thread, it occurs to me that the Tesla mission is to advance the electrification of transport. This lends itself to greater willingness to partner with specialty niche carmakers such as RV makers.

Tesla made it’s patents available to all automakers and benefited from a collaboration with Lotus, there is a possibility it could work with third parties to develop more specialized automotive offerings.

Providing the power train while leaving the aftermarket provider responsible for the rest.

By re-imagining the "monster truck" pickup, Tesla could come out with world's first off-road RV (one that would also be street legal)!

On a more serious note, just using the smaller tractor version of the Tesla Semi (which - as I understand - does not require a commercial drivers license) could open the door to working with a custom RV company to get something done. The Megacharger and its 7 cent/kWh electricity would make the solar-based charging fast and cheap, and if you could somehow harness the battery power to a 240V inverter you could have all the creature comforts of home (electric stove, oven, washer, dryer, microwave) and never need a generator.

Last edited:
Reactions: calisnow