Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla RV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long will I have to wait to get rid of my ICE RV for an ERV? Does Tesla has any plans for such? I figure if they can build truck, they can easily make an ERV.

I figure it would require three times the batteries as my Model 3 to get the same range. Along with three times as long to charge. i guess that will mean RV parks will have to start charging for electricity when they are made.

-Don- Reno, NV

I am glad to see there are others interested in an ERV. That means it will happen, the only question is when. Hopefully I will have time to use such before I drop dead (I am almost 70 years old).

Yeah, I would want at least a 400 mile range in an RV before I will consider such. The ICE RV I own now is good for around 500 miles on a tank of gasoline. I don't want to have to give up too much range, especially when charging a RV on the road could be a hassle for a while, such as the Sperchargers that are not designed for the larger vehicles.

If they can make all the stuff in it to work on high voltage DC all the KWH available should runs things a very long time with no need for a generator when not being driven. But I assume the first ERVs will use large 12 volt true deep cycle batteries to a large inverter to run things such as microwave ovens, etc. In fact, I do that now with my ICE RV so I can use the microwave oven in places where there is no external AC and I am in a quiet area where I cannot run my noisy generator.

-Don- Reno, NV

No reason for 12 volt batteries ... just install a large enough DC-to-DC converter to handle the 12 volt loads and you're good.
Yeah, I thought about that also. But then an inverter is still needed for things such as to run a microwave--and even perhaps a washer and drier that larger RVs have. And then there is the house air conditioner issue for the very hot days. If they can make all this stuff run on high voltage DC that will solve the problems, but I doubt such will be made for the first RVs available.

The 12 volt stuff, such as lights, etc. is not much of an issue.

But you're not going to find a decent 12 volt air conditioner that can run without an engine running to power its compressor. At 480 volts DC, I would think it could be done easily with all those KWHs available, even if it has to run an electric motor.

BTW, my Zero motorcycles use a 500 watt DC to DC converter to get the 13.8 VDC for the lights and ABS pump, with a couple of hundred watts left over for heated grips and heated clothes, etc. The battery in it is 116.5 VDC at full charge. Close enough in voltage to the often needed 117 VAC but it's DC.

-Don- Reno, NV

How long will I have to wait to get rid of my ICE RV for an ERV? Does Tesla has any plans for such? I figure if they can build truck, they can easily make an ERV.

I figure it would require three times the batteries as my Model 3 to get the same range. Along with three times as long to charge. i guess that will mean RV parks will have to start charging for electricity when they are made.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yes, please! Elon, are you listening?

Yeah, I thought about that also. But then an inverter is still needed for things such as to run a microwave--and even perhaps a washer and drier that larger RVs have. And then there is the house air conditioner issue for the very hot days. If they can make all this stuff run on high voltage DC that will solve the problems, but I doubt such will be made for the first RVs available.

The 12 volt stuff, such as lights, etc. is not much of an issue.

But you're not going to find a decent 12 volt air conditioner that can run without an engine running to power its compressor. At 480 volts DC, I would think it could be done easily with all those KWHs available, even if it has to run an electric motor.

BTW, my Zero motorcycles use a 500 watt DC to DC converter to get the 13.8 VDC for the lights and ABS pump, with a couple of hundred watts left over for heated grips and heated clothes, etc. The battery in it is 116.5 VDC at full charge. Close enough in voltage to the often needed 117 VAC but it's DC.

-Don- Reno, NV

Something like a 3 kW HVDC to 12VDC converter and a 10 or 20 kW HVDC to 120VAC inverter would be ideal.