Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S 100D Sooooo slow to start up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is too ridiculous, is this really an issue ?
I won't upgrade if that's the case, I have never needed to wait, not with v7, V8, or now... Such delay would feel like going back in time, like using windows again on a computer.

• Funny
Reactions: oneday
When did that v2 MCU come out?
MCUv2 came out in February and it's quite possible that is why Snardy and others are having issues. MCUv2 uses an Intel Gordon Lake processor which is an automotive derivative of the Atom processors used in mobile phones and tablets. Supposedly, the infotainment system uses the Intel chip and the Autopilot still uses the Nvidia chips. It's my guess that the Intel processor is a little underpowered for the infotainment system and that's what's causing the power-up delay. In the grand scheme of things, I think it's a brilliant design to separate the enormous processing requirements of Autopilot away from the day-to-day functioning of the rest of the car. There is no doubt that the Autopilot is far better in the newer S's.

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex
MCUv2 came out in February and it's quite possible that is why Snardy and others are having issues. MCUv2 uses an Intel Gordon Lake processor which is an automotive derivative of the Atom processors used in mobile phones and tablets. Supposedly, the infotainment system uses the Intel chip and the Autopilot still uses the Nvidia chips. It's my guess that the Intel processor is a little underpowered for the infotainment system and that's what's causing the power-up delay. In the grand scheme of things, I think it's a brilliant design to separate the enormous processing requirements of Autopilot away from the day-to-day functioning of the rest of the car. There is no doubt that the Autopilot is far better in the newer S's.
Okay Smartypants Daveloch. Can you please make my car start up when I get in it please. Thank you. :rolleyes:

It is too ridiculous, is this really an issue ?
I won't upgrade if that's the case, I have never needed to wait, not with v7, V8, or now... Such delay would feel like going back in time, like using windows again on a computer.
It really is an issue. As a matter of fact, the other day I valet parked my car and when the guy went to get it for me I saw him just sitting there staring at the screen. He brought me my car and said he's been seeing this happen with so many Teslas lately. So there you go. Hopefully this will be fixed. It's just really annoying.

Okay Smartypants Daveloch. Can you please make my car start up when I get in it please. Thank you. :rolleyes:
I would be interested to see if these issues go away if the car is accessed from the mobile app a few minutes before entering the car. I would test this myself but, alas, the car is parked all day in front of my wife's office. Someday I'm hoping that Elon will allow me to just Summon it away from her. :D

Wow this is news to me. My first MCU got the bubbles, and it was replaced a year or two ago.
Now it has the yellow border, but service center said to wait for v2.
I think I'd rather live with the yellow border than deal with the slow reboot every time and no option to turn off Energy Saving mode!

But 2018's are getting yellow screens too so there is another one in the works, I guess MCU v3.
Regarding the link about about the MCU revisions, it says regarding MCU v2... "Faster CPU, results in snapper operation". Apparently not o_O
I don't think it is acceptable at all to have such a delay before you can drive, like you I think I'll deal with the yellow border over startup delays, just crazy stuff hey.

Mine is intermittent. Have had it 7 months so far, and it started doing this over the summer, so before v9 hit. Sometimes it starts right up, sometimes nothing - can't even key in the PIN. Or I can key in the PIN, but hitting the brake doesn't do anything and I get that "car is booting up" message. Not too terrible when I'm alone, but embarrassing when others are in the car with me. "What are you waiting for?" A few times I even get a completely blank screen for 15 seconds, though that hasn't happened in a month or more so maybe they finally fixed that one.

0E67F408-D755-4338-925F-1E5E2097CB25.jpeg
Maybe I am just lucky but I don’t have this issue- I get in the car, put in drive and go- the screen is not yellowing (see pic) and accelerates just fine - smooth as silk and super fast, no shudder/nothing and completely silent.

I bought the demo I test drove. It is a 2018 March build.

Last edited:
Mine worked perfectly and then I got the yellow border

Got that fixed and then had this boot up problem immediately after getting home

At first it was 10-30 second delay, but sometimes it was 1-2+ minutes of just sitting there

I was worried the dang car wouldn’t ever start

Using Mobile access wouldn’t work. The app would not connect to the car when this happened.

I brought it in and demanded they fix it. 10 seconds is one thing. 2 minutes is Quite another

Not sure what they did, but they fixed it