Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S 100D Sooooo slow to start up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what has happened, but I had a 2015 Model S 70 and I would literally get in my car, close the door and drive away. Now I've purchased a brand new 2018 Model S100D and sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds for the car to boot up. Not only is that annoying, but I cannot even lock my door from the touch screen until it boots up. For safety reasons, this is really dangerous (especially being female). Does anyone know why this is happening? I have friends with the same problem and some with no problem at all. I did ask at service and all they said was, "it's a software issue", "use your phone app to lock the door". No joke.
I'm experiencing similar issue with my 2018 Model S 75D - has been happening a lot more lately (past few months). Sometimes the car 'wakes up' pretty quick and I can shift from P to D normally, other times I have to wait for the 'waking up' notification much much longer than normal and it takes 30-60 seconds for the car to wake and allow me to then shift from park to drive, or use touchscreen controls etc. Frustrating.

So all new Teslas take about 20 secs to turn on? That’s pretty ridiculous.
Kind of embarrassing, actually - when me and my girlfriend are getting ready to leave the house, I hop in the driver seat to pull the car out of the garage while she waits on the driveway - she waits, and waits, and waits, for me to pull the car out, while I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the car to just turn on. I'm just waiting for the time when she gives me *sugar* for taking so long, thinking I'm probably trying to engage the 'Emissions Testing Mode' and can't figure it out : )

Sadly Tesla do need to realise this sort of stuff will have customers leave the brand and never return when other comparable EV options are plentiful for choice. Embarrassing that you have to wait a few minutes to drive the car is an understatement.

Reactions: kavyboy
Sadly Tesla do need to realise this sort of stuff will have customers leave the brand and never return when other comparable EV options are plentiful for choice. Embarrassing that you have to wait a few minutes to drive the car is an understatement.
I Don't think so because I saw presentation of Bjorg on YouTube about E-Tron and every time you come in the car the info système need time to boot.

No. This is obviously not normal and the car needs to be taken to service.

I have never seen the boot up screen (as shown in another thread) or wait to drive. Even had an enterprise 75D loaner w/500 miles for a week and that car did not do this either.

Only happens to my wife's 100D when:
1) it wasn't plugged in before we get in
2) the car's cold (possibly tied to my 1st comment) because Indiana winter.

I haven't followed all the cross linked threads but... anyone have the problem in summer?

My P100D is never plugged in (I SC 98% of the time) and I had it parked outside in frigid Michigan/Ohio weather last 2 weeks.

I have NEVER seen the boot up screen... although I usually preheated the car using the app if it’s been sitting outside overnight. Brrrrr....

I Don't think so because I saw presentation of Bjorg on YouTube about E-Tron and every time you come in the car the info système need time to boot.
Well the bit I saw (I admit I did skip through parts) it was only the Navigation that needed to initialise when it was turned on, the car was otherwise drivable. My Chrysler 300 was the same, infoscreen showed 'initialising navigation' for maybe 10 seconds worst case if you tried to access the Nav right away...but I could still drive it. These Tesla owners are talking over a minute to boot up with the car dead in the meantime, big difference.

That doesn't exist on the newer cars. Or if it does I can't bloody find it.

Yea i looked hard and couldnt find it.. if its there im blind af.

Sigh... oh wells, for now while my car wakes up, i guess i can find better things to do, like drink my coffee, double check my seat belts, start my waze app on my phone, make sure i didn't forget to open the garage door.

Personally i rather have the bootup and have the MCU2.
As others stated, the MCU1 is very underpowered if your comparing it to the MCU2.
Also i like being able to plug in my xbone controller to play those retro video games on. :D

I have NEVER seen the boot up screen... although I usually preheated the car using the app

This is probably why..
Your car never goes into deep sleep.
I am guessing if you use your app to wake up the car while its doing something, then probably you wont see the wake message.

But by not letting the car goto sleep, the vamp drain would probably be higher, although not noticeable, but still higher.

Last edited:
I don't remember this happening to me too often on my 2013 P85 or my 2018 100D with MC2. One thing I will say is that because I use Tesla Waze all the time, I have to reboot my MCU a lot (just about daily) to get it to load the site again... so perhaps that's why I rarely if ever run into this issue?

I would still LOVE it if someone from Tesla would read this thread and give us some answers. Or even the person who had their problem fixed, do they have the paperwork detailing how the issue was resolved? Thanks all.

Ok. So I did it two more times tonight. Fob push to unlock doors as I walk toward the car. When I open door and get into car, center screen is on but instrument cluster is off. I press the brake pedal and the instrument cluster lights and says car is off in PRND area in lower right. The systems are starting message briefly appears for perhaps 1 second and then car is ready to drive. This seems much better than waiting 15 seconds.

Maybe it's just coincidence but since I installed 50.7 last week these "waiting for system to boot" messages don't last as long as before, though they are just as frequent. Typically only last 5 seconds now, rather than up to 30 seconds before 50.7. And haven't had a blank screen / blank IP yet.

There is another thread discussing this topic here. I have been quite vocal about it. It is really frustrating to have a brand new $85,000+ car that starts slower than my 1949 Buick. Yes, with the recent firmware update (that was pushed to me when I had the car in for service for this very issue), it seems that the delay is a bit improved, I still have pauses lasting up to 30 seconds.

My service rep was initially quite dismissive, but now seems to admit that there is a real problem. I am a die-hard Tesla fan, having just got my 3rd Model S, and intending to order a Model 3 in a few days, but I have been VERY disappointed with this issue. Having a car that does not start up immediately seems like it would be a "break-fix" issue, meaning, they should stop any and all software development until this is solved.

Not sure what has happened, but I had a 2015 Model S 70 and I would literally get in my car, close the door and drive away. Now I've purchased a brand new 2018 Model S100D and sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds for the car to boot up. Not only is that annoying, but I cannot even lock my door from the touch screen until it boots up. For safety reasons, this is really dangerous (especially being female). Does anyone know why this is happening? I have friends with the same problem and some with no problem at all. I did ask at service and all they said was, "it's a software issue", "use your phone app to lock the door". No joke.
If you use your keyfob to unlock the door and/or the phone app it will begin the booting process as soon as you unlock.

Reactions: dgpcolorado