Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S 2022 FSD- Beta 2022.20.17 — 22 September 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I’ve got several difficult test drives where I put my Tesla through some tough tests. I also use it on all my drives.

It’s significantly better than before, much smoother, more “sure”.

For me — Remaining Issues

FSD-Beta still does not recognize school zones or school busses as having extra right of ways or speed controls

It does not react to emergency vehicles any differently than any other cars.

It’s 50 / 50 on entering parking lots, ½ the time it slows down a lot (not enough imho) and ½ the time it maintains the speed of the road it turned from (35-40 mph). Once in the lot it sometimes finds it way, sometimes not.

It’s better with potholes and speed bumps.

It does not honor "No Right Turn on Red" signs nor turn only arrows on the road

If it sees 2 speed signs, one for trucks (45 mph) with the top one for cars (55 mph) it changes speed to 55 mph but then within a few seconds it changes to 45 mph.

It does not handle complex lane markings well, it still sometimes tries to turn into closed or restricted areas.

I still use extreme caution with unprotected left onto busy cross streets - it creeps great, waits patiently BUT it still, at times, makes the right move and begins the turn but then STOPS and I have to hit the go pedal

It does traffic circles much better; but, not yet perfectly all the time

It gets confused with on going road construction, signs, people with signs, lane markings, no lane markings, etc. So, I take over here.

It does not do one way bridges where there are no stop signs and cars are expected to take turns

It does not use turn signals very well, too slow and sometimes not at all

New behavior that was fixed and no longer works — when making a right onto a turning road with two exits, it seems to always take the first exit even if the route planner has indicated it will take the second, correct exit.

Not FSD Beta Issues

It still gets very confused around toll booths and keeps trying to move me out of the EZ pass lane

After toll booths where there are few if any lines it tends to just stop

Worth the $$ to me

All the bads aside, on long trips thé Bêta is wonderful. The ride is more relaxing and less tiring. You still need to pay close attention but you are not always turning the yoke or pushing or taking your foot off the “gas” to keep your place in traffic. It changes lanes safely without your intervention if you let it, safer than I do since it’s always “looking”.

I just completed a 7 hour round trip with just 1 disengagement.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 12.55.41 AM.png

(Photo: Dirty Tesla on YouTube)

Last edited by a moderator:
On 2 lane highways it will keep switching lanes constantly. It gets in right lane to "continue route" and left lane for "faster lane". It doesn't matter if destination is 100 miles away and the left lane will get me there too. Its so annoying I don't use FSD because the majority of uses is highway. It doesn't do this on interstate but I don't think its using FSD there its probably using autopilot. The phantom breaking happening every 15 mins is also terrible, I was just switched to Tesla vision so hopefully that ends it. seeing great improvements, long ways to go. I wish we could go complete hands free on interstate only thought that would be great!!
Just a suggestion, you might try looking at the auto pilot menu in the car and selecting the least aggressive lane changing option to solve your problem.

Reactions: DWtsn
That’s great, mine doesn’t
I happened upon some local State Troopers I know today and asked if they would help me "experiment" with my '21 MSLR FSD beta. They agreed and I made 3 passes by their Trooper vehicles, I was traveling in the farthest right lane, with them parked on the shoulder, with their emergency lights "on." My car failed to slowdown, failed to notify there was an emergency vehicle, it did NOTHING!! Before the new update my car would spot emergency vehicles that were parked on side roads. Kind of odd!!

Reactions: timberlights

I’ve got several difficult test drives where I put my Tesla through some tough tests. I also use it on all my drives.

It’s significantly better than before, much smoother, more “sure”.

For me — Remaining Issues

FSD-Beta still does not recognize school zones or school busses as having extra right of ways or speed controls

It does not react to emergency vehicles any differently than any other cars.

It’s 50 / 50 on entering parking lots, ½ the time it slows down a lot (not enough imho) and ½ the time it maintains the speed of the road it turned from (35-40 mph). Once in the lot it sometimes finds it way, sometimes not.

It’s better with potholes and speed bumps.

It does not honor "No Right Turn on Red" signs nor turn only arrows on the road

If it sees 2 speed signs, one for trucks (45 mph) with the top one for cars (55 mph) it changes speed to 55 mph but then within a few seconds it changes to 45 mph.

It does not handle complex lane markings well, it still sometimes tries to turn into closed or restricted areas.

I still use extreme caution with unprotected left onto busy cross streets - it creeps great, waits patiently BUT it still, at times, makes the right move and begins the turn but then STOPS and I have to hit the go pedal

It does traffic circles much better; but, not yet perfectly all the time

It gets confused with on going road construction, signs, people with signs, lane markings, no lane markings, etc. So, I take over here.

It does not do one way bridges where there are no stop signs and cars are expected to take turns

It does not use turn signals very well, too slow and sometimes not at all

New behavior that was fixed and no longer works — when making a right onto a turning road with two exits, it seems to always take the first exit even if the route planner has indicated it will take the second, correct exit.

Not FSD Beta Issues

It still gets very confused around toll booths and keeps trying to move me out of the EZ pass lane

After toll booths where there are few if any lines it tends to just stop

Worth the $$ to me

All the bads aside, on long trips thé Bêta is wonderful. The ride is more relaxing and less tiring. You still need to pay close attention but you are not always turning the yoke or pushing or taking your foot off the “gas” to keep your place in traffic. It changes lanes safely without your intervention if you let it, safer than I do since it’s always “looking”.

I just completed a 7 hour round trip with just 1 disengagement.

View attachment 855028
(Photo: Dirty Tesla on YouTube)
Great summary, pretty much mirrors my experience. Concur the turns are smoother and decisions more confident, sometimes even a little bolder than I would make but still safe. The only thing I would add: biggest problem I've had with 10.69.2.3 is unwise/unnecessary lane changes (ULCs), often getting into the wrong lane for a turn, or trying to go around the car ahead when a turn is looming. In one scenario that I test regularly, the car is batting .500 on making the correct lane decisions and staying in the turn lane all the way to the turn. If it can't get back into the turn lane due to an ULC, it just stops in the through lane!