Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S 2022 FSD- Beta 2022.20.17 — 22 September 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I’ve got several difficult test drives where I put my Tesla through some tough tests. I also use it on all my drives.

It’s significantly better than before, much smoother, more “sure”.

For me — Remaining Issues

FSD-Beta still does not recognize school zones or school busses as having extra right of ways or speed controls

It does not react to emergency vehicles any differently than any other cars.

It’s 50 / 50 on entering parking lots, ½ the time it slows down a lot (not enough imho) and ½ the time it maintains the speed of the road it turned from (35-40 mph). Once in the lot it sometimes finds it way, sometimes not.

It’s better with potholes and speed bumps.

It does not honor "No Right Turn on Red" signs nor turn only arrows on the road

If it sees 2 speed signs, one for trucks (45 mph) with the top one for cars (55 mph) it changes speed to 55 mph but then within a few seconds it changes to 45 mph.

It does not handle complex lane markings well, it still sometimes tries to turn into closed or restricted areas.

I still use extreme caution with unprotected left onto busy cross streets - it creeps great, waits patiently BUT it still, at times, makes the right move and begins the turn but then STOPS and I have to hit the go pedal

It does traffic circles much better; but, not yet perfectly all the time

It gets confused with on going road construction, signs, people with signs, lane markings, no lane markings, etc. So, I take over here.

It does not do one way bridges where there are no stop signs and cars are expected to take turns

It does not use turn signals very well, too slow and sometimes not at all

New behavior that was fixed and no longer works — when making a right onto a turning road with two exits, it seems to always take the first exit even if the route planner has indicated it will take the second, correct exit.

Not FSD Beta Issues

It still gets very confused around toll booths and keeps trying to move me out of the EZ pass lane

After toll booths where there are few if any lines it tends to just stop

Worth the $$ to me

All the bads aside, on long trips thé Bêta is wonderful. The ride is more relaxing and less tiring. You still need to pay close attention but you are not always turning the yoke or pushing or taking your foot off the “gas” to keep your place in traffic. It changes lanes safely without your intervention if you let it, safer than I do since it’s always “looking”.

I just completed a 7 hour round trip with just 1 disengagement.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 12.55.41 AM.png

(Photo: Dirty Tesla on YouTube)

Last edited by a moderator:
From a judge: there are no lane markings in an intersection, so the issue of changing lanes in an intersection is moot. Safety of driving through the intersection is paramount

Warning: I’m attempting humor below. Don’t take me seriously.

From me (I’m not a judge): “Your Honor, stay in your lane. Your job is to interpret the law. Not to tell me what is safe!”

From a judge: there are no lane markings in an intersection, so the issue of changing lanes in an intersection is moot. Safety of driving through the intersection is paramount
Hmmm...

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An ABC30 viewer sent in the following question: is it legal to change lanes in an intersection, or could she get a ticket?

"It's a common question," said Sgt. Brian Pennings with the California Highway Patrol. "The answer is no, it's not illegal. There's nothing on the vehicle code that prohibits you from doing so."

"However, you have to do so safely," he said. "You have to do so without impeding the traffic of other vehicles, and you have to make that lane change safely." That includes using your signal and clearing your blind spot before changing lanes.

Where is my FSD Beta? I have a 2017 model S 2022.20.9 upgraded cameras computer and MCU. Maintaining 98 or higher score, over 100 miles of autopilot. I’ve been waiting and waiting for Mr musk to get his S$&t together. Sick of this Oprah give away crap. What about the people supporting Tesla longer than others? Anyone else with an older car on beta?
Well after spending some time on this, I think service installed the wrong repeater cams. I not sure how you can screw this up, but it seems to be that way! Hopefully I get resolution fast and beta faster. Oh and thanks to all you have contributed to the old cars camera upgrades

Biggest issue for me is still choice of lane. It still makes many really bad choices, like deciding to switch the left lane when there's an upcoming right turn, or using turn lanes when it wants to go straight through an intersection. Those are most of my disengagements at this point. Of course many more issues remain, but this (at least to me) is what is most problematic.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Finally got my FSD beta, yesterday, after driving for over 5 months and maintaining between 97&98 safety score. Yes!!

Only driven locally and already seeing tons of improvement, able to FSD on roads previously unavailable, even drove on private road with no marking. I’ll be on a road trip this weekend, can’t wait to see how it performs.

Oh, there was a moment when FSD applied hard break and a quick backup (at least that’s what I felt) on a stop sign. Did anyone else experience this?

It does that when sees the sign too late..

This 10.69.2.2 version failed to get into the the highway exit ramp and had to take over twice today. Never had this issue before with 10.12.

This is serious issue.
Let's face it. There are thousands of miles of roads and thousands of variations of roadways. I can't see how they can cover all the permutations.. And I don't think an Intel atom or Ryzen (which are crap btw) chip can make these decisions fast enough. Maybe a quantum computer

I have a 2022 Model Y built in Austin that I got end of May. I got FSD Beta on Tuesday morning as part of the +60,000. I don't have prior FSD experience but having read so much and watch so many videos, I felt like I knew what to expect generally. It's been a mixed bag. I've had to do a lot of interventions. I live in Houston Heights, the original "suburb" of Houston in the 1880's where we still have a lot of streets with no curb and ditches on each side of the road. FSD isn't doing so well on those roads with a tendency to want to drive heavy toward the middle of the road. We also have a lot of on-street parking, often on both sides of the street, which results in a single lane where the cars have to agree who is going to hold up, or if there is place along the street where there are no cars where one car can pull aside. I've had FSD do well and do very poorly in that situation.

My office is 26.2 miles away (one-way) from my house. About 23 of those miles are on the 3-lane Hardy Toll Road. FSD on Hardy Toll Road at 85 mph is a thing of beauty. Does everything you would want it to do. I have seen a HUGE improvement over AutoPilot before FSD. On AutoPilot, when I would get to a few areas of Hardy Toll Road where the road has a bit of a curve in it, I would often have to intercede because the car got close to hitting the left-lane left-shoulder barrier, or if I was in the middle lane the car on either side of me. The car wasn't reacting fast enough to make the turn even though it was a slight. I would have to dial the speed way down to 55 (speed limit is 60-65) to avoid it from happening. But with FSD, it drives it perfectly. Can definitely tell that the computers are processing much faster.

Problems I have experienced:
  • Clearly does not recognize pot holes. For the love of God this is Houston! A lot of our roads are absolute trash. FSD could be doing everything right but there will be a Texas-sized pothole that if you don't intercede, FSD would blow out a tire hitting that hole.
  • Does not recognize speed bumps to slow down. We have quite a few around here and if I had not hit the breaks, FSD would have taken the speed bump at full-speed 25-30 mph. Was never going to slow down. I have tried is multiple times with same result. It doesn't matter if the speed bump is well marked (white stripes) or not, or even different types of speed bumps.
  • Does not recognize railroad crossings to slow down. On streets where you go up a small incline not cross over a railroad line, again FSD had no intention of slowing down and would have literally jumped the railroad crossing at 30-35 mph if I had not hit the breaks.
  • Weird left turn of steering wheel BEFORE it makes a right turn at an intersection. This is happening repeatedly. FSD stops for an intersection. Creeps up and starts to to turn the steering wheel left before it makes the right turn. The problem is that the car is already in the right position of the right turn. It feels like the car is calculating that it needs to go left to make the correct right turn trajectory. I've had to intercede multiple times.
  • Hesitation pulling out into intersection. Several times I had to hit the gas when FSD started and then decided to stop or slow down at the worst possible moment.
  • Riding too far left in lane / almost driving down middle of road. On Houston Height streets with no lane markings and where there are no curbs - just asphalt, the car seems to be riding too far left and even down the middle of the road. When a car is coming toward me, FSD gets jittery. Sometimes it moves right a little but more likely than not it starts shaking the steering wheel and slowing or even stopping like it is confused.
  • Ran a stop sign. This only happened once but car was traveling at 25 mph on a residential street. It was dark I could see the stop sign so I would expect the car to see it. If I had not slammed on the breaks the car would have run right through the intersection and probably got me in a wreck.
  • Awkward/phantom stopping due to weird lane markings. On Heights Blvd. at I-10 there are bike lane markings that cross the lanes several car lengths back from the intersection. FSD would be doing fine and decide it needs to be in the right lane when it opens from 1 lane to 2 lanes for the intersection. Then it would see these bike lane markings and stop the car. I would have to intercede. As soon as the car was over those lines, it was fine.
With all that said, I love it. If nothing else, it makes 23 of my 26.2 miles in the morning and again in the evening absolute heaven.

My experience has been different. 10.69.2.2 (2022.20.17) has regressed slightly from ..2.1. Mainly with the ”Costanza Maneuver” (I explain later).

I have most of the same remaining issues as you. The late/never signal of intent to turn left or right baffles me. Seems like this would be a straight forward fix. But it’s been doing this since the 1st beta I’ve had.

One issue on your list I do not have is, as you describe it, “It does not honor […] turn only arrows on the road.” In fact, I’m impressed with how FSD handles that scenario. Example: there is a quirky intersection near my home where a single lane opens into two lanes right before an intersection. The left lane has a left-turn only marking. But FSD will not recognize it until after it has already chosen it as its course to follow navigation’s route straight thru the intersection.

In that scenario, instead of making another mistake by continuing straight from the left-turn only lane, the car will go ahead and perform the left turn. Afterwards, it will re-route to get back on its original course. I was surprised the 1st time it did that. Impressive.

The George Costanza Maneuver

I haven’t heard others talk about this. But I get it often. I call it the Costanza Maneuver because George once bragged to Elaine how he could make a left-turn from a right-hand lane. And a right-turn from a left-hand lane. This doesn’t happen 100% of the time. But the intersections in which it does make this mistake, it’s repeatable close to 100% of the time.

In fact, sometimes, despite being in the correct right-hand lane (with intent of making right-turn) it will sometimes make a late lane change to get into the left lane so it can make a right turn… from the left lane. Weird!

But, also like you, I would pay for FSD again if given the decision. It’s worth the money and, no pun intended, the way forward. I’m just thrilled to have it.
Lol. Yes, it did the exact thing you described in the 2nd to last paragraph to me earlier today. Very strange.

I have a 2022 Model Y built in Austin that I got end of May. I got FSD Beta on Tuesday morning as part of the +60,000. I don't have prior FSD experience but having read so much and watch so many videos, I felt like I knew what to expect generally. It's been a mixed bag. I've had to do a lot of interventions. I live in Houston Heights, the original "suburb" of Houston in the 1880's where we still have a lot of streets with no curb and ditches on each side of the road. FSD isn't doing so well on those roads with a tendency to want to drive heavy toward the middle of the road. We also have a lot of on-street parking, often on both sides of the street, which results in a single lane where the cars have to agree who is going to hold up, or if there is place along the street where there are no cars where one car can pull aside. I've had FSD do well and do very poorly in that situation.

My office is 26.2 miles away (one-way) from my house. About 23 of those miles are on the 3-lane Hardy Toll Road. FSD on Hardy Toll Road at 85 mph is a thing of beauty. Does everything you would want it to do. I have seen a HUGE improvement over AutoPilot before FSD. On AutoPilot, when I would get to a few areas of Hardy Toll Road where the road has a bit of a curve in it, I would often have to intercede because the car got close to hitting the left-lane left-shoulder barrier, or if I was in the middle lane the car on either side of me. The car wasn't reacting fast enough to make the turn even though it was a slight. I would have to dial the speed way down to 55 (speed limit is 60-65) to avoid it from happening. But with FSD, it drives it perfectly. Can definitely tell that the computers are processing much faster.

Problems I have experienced:
  • Clearly does not recognize pot holes. For the love of God this is Houston! A lot of our roads are absolute trash. FSD could be doing everything right but there will be a Texas-sized pothole that if you don't intercede, FSD would blow out a tire hitting that hole.
  • Does not recognize speed bumps to slow down. We have quite a few around here and if I had not hit the breaks, FSD would have taken the speed bump at full-speed 25-30 mph. Was never going to slow down. I have tried is multiple times with same result. It doesn't matter if the speed bump is well marked (white stripes) or not, or even different types of speed bumps.
  • Does not recognize railroad crossings to slow down. On streets where you go up a small incline not cross over a railroad line, again FSD had no intention of slowing down and would have literally jumped the railroad crossing at 30-35 mph if I had not hit the breaks.
  • Weird left turn of steering wheel BEFORE it makes a right turn at an intersection. This is happening repeatedly. FSD stops for an intersection. Creeps up and starts to to turn the steering wheel left before it makes the right turn. The problem is that the car is already in the right position of the right turn. It feels like the car is calculating that it needs to go left to make the correct right turn trajectory. I've had to intercede multiple times.
  • Hesitation pulling out into intersection. Several times I had to hit the gas when FSD started and then decided to stop or slow down at the worst possible moment.
  • Riding too far left in lane / almost driving down middle of road. On Houston Height streets with no lane markings and where there are no curbs - just asphalt, the car seems to be riding too far left and even down the middle of the road. When a car is coming toward me, FSD gets jittery. Sometimes it moves right a little but more likely than not it starts shaking the steering wheel and slowing or even stopping like it is confused.
  • Ran a stop sign. This only happened once but car was traveling at 25 mph on a residential street. It was dark I could see the stop sign so I would expect the car to see it. If I had not slammed on the breaks the car would have run right through the intersection and probably got me in a wreck.
  • Awkward/phantom stopping due to weird lane markings. On Heights Blvd. at I-10 there are bike lane markings that cross the lanes several car lengths back from the intersection. FSD would be doing fine and decide it needs to be in the right lane when it opens from 1 lane to 2 lanes for the intersection. Then it would see these bike lane markings and stop the car. I would have to intercede. As soon as the car was over those lines, it was fine.
With all that said, I love it. If nothing else, it makes 23 of my 26.2 miles in the morning and again in the evening absolute heaven.
So, 88% effective. Would you let a million cars with no steering wheel (robotaxis) on the road with you?

I’ve got several difficult test drives where I put my Tesla through some tough tests. I also use it on all my drives.

It’s significantly better than before, much smoother, more “sure”.

For me — Remaining Issues

FSD-Beta still does not recognize school zones or school busses as having extra right of ways or speed controls

It does not react to emergency vehicles any differently than any other cars.

It’s 50 / 50 on entering parking lots, ½ the time it slows down a lot (not enough imho) and ½ the time it maintains the speed of the road it turned from (35-40 mph). Once in the lot it sometimes finds it way, sometimes not.

It’s better with potholes and speed bumps.

It does not honor "No Right Turn on Red" signs nor turn only arrows on the road

If it sees 2 speed signs, one for trucks (45 mph) with the top one for cars (55 mph) it changes speed to 55 mph but then within a few seconds it changes to 45 mph.

It does not handle complex lane markings well, it still sometimes tries to turn into closed or restricted areas.

I still use extreme caution with unprotected left onto busy cross streets - it creeps great, waits patiently BUT it still, at times, makes the right move and begins the turn but then STOPS and I have to hit the go pedal

It does traffic circles much better; but, not yet perfectly all the time

It gets confused with on going road construction, signs, people with signs, lane markings, no lane markings, etc. So, I take over here.

It does not do one way bridges where there are no stop signs and cars are expected to take turns

It does not use turn signals very well, too slow and sometimes not at all

New behavior that was fixed and no longer works — when making a right onto a turning road with two exits, it seems to always take the first exit even if the route planner has indicated it will take the second, correct exit.

Not FSD Beta Issues

It still gets very confused around toll booths and keeps trying to move me out of the EZ pass lane

After toll booths where there are few if any lines it tends to just stop

Worth the $$ to me

All the bads aside, on long trips thé Bêta is wonderful. The ride is more relaxing and less tiring. You still need to pay close attention but you are not always turning the yoke or pushing or taking your foot off the “gas” to keep your place in traffic. It changes lanes safely without your intervention if you let it, safer than I do since it’s always “looking”.

I just completed a 7 hour round trip with just 1 disengagement.

View attachment 855028
(Photo: Dirty Tesla on YouTube)
Excellent report! Thanks for the info. I have been wondering about the status of FSD Beta.

I have to offer a sincere thank you to each and everyone of you for going through the ups and downs, the good and the bad, of FSD's growth from infancy to, hopefully, maturity! At this time I thoroughly enjoy doing the driving myself, with the help of cruise control and basic navigation. I am keeping my fingers crossed that, by the time my skills require self driving, FSD will live up to its' name. Of course, by that time, it will probably cost $30,000.00 or more but it will be worth it. Again, thank you and keep up the good work.
Beasts

My experience has been different. 10.69.2.2 (2022.20.17) has regressed slightly from ..2.1. Mainly with the ”Costanza Maneuver” (I explain later).

I have most of the same remaining issues as you. The late/never signal of intent to turn left or right baffles me. Seems like this would be a straight forward fix. But it’s been doing this since the 1st beta I’ve had.

One issue on your list I do not have is, as you describe it, “It does not honor […] turn only arrows on the road.” In fact, I’m impressed with how FSD handles that scenario. Example: there is a quirky intersection near my home where a single lane opens into two lanes right before an intersection. The left lane has a left-turn only marking. But FSD will not recognize it until after it has already chosen it as its course to follow navigation’s route straight thru the intersection.

In that scenario, instead of making another mistake by continuing straight from the left-turn only lane, the car will go ahead and perform the left turn. Afterwards, it will re-route to get back on its original course. I was surprised the 1st time it did that. Impressive.

The George Costanza Maneuver

I haven’t heard others talk about this. But I get it often. I call it the Costanza Maneuver because George once bragged to Elaine how he could make a left-turn from a right-hand lane. And a right-turn from a left-hand lane. This doesn’t happen 100% of the time. But the intersections in which it does make this mistake, it’s repeatable close to 100% of the time.

In fact, sometimes, despite being in the correct right-hand lane (with intent of making right-turn) it will sometimes make a late lane change to get into the left lane so it can make a right turn… from the left lane. Weird!

But, also like you, I would pay for FSD again if given the decision. It’s worth the money and, no pun intended, the way forward. I’m just thrilled to have it.
Agree on the Costanza maneuver: on my comute home, the 2 lanes change to 4 lanes where the 2 left are turn lanes only then split traffic lights.
George (2022 MYLR):
1-ignores the turning lanes
2-proceeds to the trafic light in the straight lanes(left one)
3- finally turns on left blinker
4-attempts to make illegal left turn
5-i take over
6-hit the camera icon (top center) doing my part to contribute to beta improvements