Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S 75D import to NZ from UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to work out what problems I might face once the vehicle has arrived in NZ getting the electronics working properly in a new country. I'm importing it for my business so GST isn't a worry. Tesla themselves indicate that they will not help in any way when I contacted them by email. Does anyone have experience with this and how to make it happen?

I'm trying to work out what problems I might face once the vehicle has arrived in NZ getting the electronics working properly in a new country. I'm importing it for my business so GST isn't a worry. Tesla themselves indicate that they will not help in any way when I contacted them by email. Does anyone have experience with this and how to make it happen?

The 3g/4g card in the car will be for whatever UK company Tesla has a contract with. Not sure if it's easily removable and changeable but if it isn't, you'll have no navigation, Spotify, Netflix etc.

You may want to make sure that the plug on the UK Model is the same as the NZ model AND that it takes the exact same current/amps. I know that the cars are built specifically for the electrical standards of the market they're bound for. e.g USA Teslas can't charge in most European countries.

I would advise against importing a Tesla since it's such a complicated and advanced car but if the saving is good enough, then it's up to you.

Reactions: Wol747

I personally think you would be mad....you will need help from Tesla for serving, warranty (even if out of warranty needing repairs)....if they refuse to help you (which is most likely) then you will have an expensive car that at the least will be lacking many features (see @rioli33 post) and at worst potentially unable to be driven.

In the case of the Model S, the MCU needing to be replaced, suspension components, door handles...the list goes on...

No way I would import without Tesla's tick of approval, in writing.

Last edited:
From what I understand the car will AC charge Okay as UK Tesla’s are fitted with the same type 2 plug type.
you may need a different 240V connector for the UMC.
Supercharging may work too unless Tesla geofence them, but I’ve never heard of that happening.
The MCU will need to be removed and the SIM card replaced for Spotify, TuneIn etc to work, but a UK Tesla will only have Europe maps loaded and without Tesla’s cooperation that will be hard to change.
If anything goes wrong however, you are stuck with third party repair which is almost non-existing in Australia.

I personally think you would be mad....you will need help from Tesla for serving, warranty (even if out of warranty needing repairs)....if they refuse to help you (which is most likely) then you will have an expensive car that at the least will be lacking many features (see @rioli33 post) and at worst potentially unable to be driven.

In the case of the Model S, the MCU needing to be replaced, suspension components, door handles...the list goes on...

No way I would import without Tesla's tick of approval, in writing.
Oh *sugar*, that is not what I wanted to hear. Do you have personal experience of this? The MCU is the whole screen unit is it not? Why on earth door handles and suspension components?

From what I understand the car will AC charge Okay as UK Tesla’s are fitted with the same type 2 plug type.
Supercharging may work too unless Tesla geofence them, but I’ve never heard of that happening.
The MCU will need to be removed and the SIM card replaced for Spotify, TuneIn etc to work, but a UK Tesla will only have Europe maps loaded and without Tesla’s cooperation that will be hard to change
The MCU will need to be removed and the SIM card replaced for Spotify, TuneIn etc to work, but a UK Tesla will only have Europe maps loaded and without Tesla’s cooperation that will be hard to change.
If anything goes wrong however, you are stuck with third party repair which is almost non-existing in Australia.
Thank you very much for your reply. It looks like Ive made a very bad decision without asking questions. The MCU is the whole screen business is it? It seems mad to me that such an IT vehicle has such problems changing countries when it's just software. I think Im best advised to cancel the sale and look to buy at a considerably higher price in NZ

Thank you very much for your reply. It looks like Ive made a very bad decision without asking questions. The MCU is the whole screen business is it? It seems mad to me that such an IT vehicle has such problems changing countries when it's just software. I think Im best advised to cancel the sale and look to buy at a considerably higher price in NZ
Yes, the MCU is the computer that is the big screen in the centre and the smaller screen with the speedo. It is odd that a vehicle built around software can't change to a new region, but I suppose the cars were never designed with that in mind. Doubled with Tesla's policy which means they won't support the car, you could be in for a nightmare dealing with third-party 'hackers' to get your car working in NZ with full functionality.

Reactions: MAYAND
This link to YouTube shows how to replace the modem component of the MCU once it’s taken out of the car.
It shows the location of the SIM within the MCU as well and promises a link to another video showing how to remove the MCU itself. There are a number of YT videos showing how to remove the MCU like this one in any case.
If the car is already on its way I would go to Auckland service and ask nicely for them to put in a NZ SIM for you, but be ready for a flat no.
A competent mechanic should be able to do this for you if all else fails.

This link to YouTube shows how to replace the modem component of the MCU once it’s taken out of the car.
It shows the location of the SIM within the MCU as well and promises a link to another video showing how to remove the MCU itself. There are a number of YT videos showing how to remove the MCU like this one in any case.
If the car is already on its way I would go to Auckland service and ask nicely for them to put in a NZ SIM for you, but be ready for a flat no.
A competent mechanic should be able to do this for you if all else fails.
A few years ago I watched a tesla mechanic replace a centre screen. Its not easy.
Also I think (but not confirmed) that the SIM is now accessed from the small compartment under the screen.

Oh *sugar*, that is not what I wanted to hear. Do you have personal experience of this? The MCU is e whole screen unit is it not? Why on earth door handles and suspension components?

I've had plenty of fellow Tesla Model S drivers have suspension issues, I personally went through an MCU, 3x door handles, sunroof issues (2x times), failed seat bolts on drivers seat (new based required), fraying seat belts (other issues also) on my Model S before I sold (all covered under warranty)....Tesla did a great job etc., but since it's unlikely Tesla would help you out you could end up with a "bricked" car.

MCU
The MCU failing is a known issue with Model S's all the way up until Mid-2016, I think, although a failed MCU could happen on any Tesla (I believe someone with a 2020 Model S just recently on this very forum had to have their MCU replaced)….and yes it’s the whole screen that has to be replaced.

Door Handles
On a Model S the door handles auto-present, sometimes they won't pop out or wont retract....can cause all sorts of issues including not being able to open the door.

Yes, the MCU is the computer that is the big screen in the centre and the smaller screen with the speedo. It is odd that a vehicle built around software can't change to a new region, but I suppose the cars were never designed with that in mind. Doubled with Tesla's policy which means they won't support the car, you could be in for a nightmare dealing with third-party 'hackers' to get your car working in NZ with full functionality.
Thank you for your help. I think I will abandon the idea of getting the car to NZ. A Tesla without the full functionality would be most annoying especially as this one has enhanced autopilot which would not work without the proper connectivity

Reactions: miimura
I've had plenty of fellow Tesla Model S drivers have suspension issues, I personally went through an MCU, 3x door handles, sunroof issues (2x times), failed seat bolts on drivers seat (new based required), fraying seat belts (other issues also) on my Model S before I sold (all covered under warranty)....Tesla did a great job etc., but since it's unlikely Tesla would help you out you could end up with a "bricked" car.

MCU
The MCU failing is a known issue with Model S's all the way up until Mid-2016, I think, although a failed MCU could happen on any Tesla (I believe someone with a 2020 Model S just recently on this very forum had to have their MCU replaced)….and yes it’s the whole screen that has to be replaced.

Door Handles
On a Model S the door handles auto-present, sometimes they won't pop out or wont retract....can cause all sorts of issues including not being able to open the door.
Thank you so much for your help.... I reckon I must give up on the idea and get one for more money with a warranty in NZ instead

Reactions: paulp
A few years ago I watched a tesla mechanic replace a centre screen. Its not easy.
Also I think (but not confirmed) that the SIM is now accessed from the small compartment under the screen.

thank you so much. I sincerely hope that it wont come to this. I am trying to stop the sale of the car now as it's just too much hassle for the possibility of a poorly functioning car