Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S Break pedal not functioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a operator error, the brakes are manual and if you push them the car will brake even if you push the throttle at the same time.
And you said 5 mph... hell no with all that damage to the wall and the car id say at least 25 mph and you jumped a curb, you cant jump a curb at 5 mph the car will just stop.

Looks like a operator error, the brakes are manual and if you push them the car will brake even if you push the throttle at the same time.
And you said 5 mph... hell no with all that damage to the wall and the car id say at least 25 mph and you jumped a curb, you cant jump a curb at 5 mph the car will just stop.
The speed at impact could have been relatively low - keep in mind the driver was likely requesting close to full power, which would have contributed to a hard impact even if the speed was low.

Please, please, folks, learn to spell. Slowing down is BRAKING, smashing a wall is BREAKING. I can't believe how many on this forum have not yet figured this out. If you're in doubt, look it up.

I know many others here groan when people show their (not there, not they're) ignorance.
The spelling of break was correct, it's a grammar issue more than a spelling issue.

The title of the thread is:

Tesla S Break pedal not functioning​

Yes, thank you for reiterating that piece of info about the title unnecessarily as I am literate.
Again, the spelling of “break” is correct. We can all agree that OP should have used “brake” in the title. The OP did not misspell the word he intended on using, he just used the wrong iteration of the homophone. Using the wrong word is not a spelling error, it’s a grammatical error. The actual spelling of the word intended to be used is correct. There is a difference between spelling errors and grammatical errors. Before bashing others on their use/understanding of the English language, we should probably understand it ourselves first.

Reactions: BlackLight
Yes, thank you for reiterating that piece of info about the title unnecessarily as I am literate.
Again, the spelling of “break” is correct. We can all agree that OP should have used “brake” in the title. The OP did not misspell the word he intended on using, he just used the wrong iteration of the homophone. Using the wrong word is not a spelling error, it’s a grammatical error. The actual spelling of the word intended to be used is correct. There is a difference between spelling errors and grammatical errors. Before bashing others on their use/understanding of the English language, we should probably understand it ourselves first.
We will agree to differ then.

Reactions: Huachipato
MiniatureDeficientIcelandgull-max-1mb.gif

You hit the wrong pedal. More common than you might think. Back when I was in college, I was in a car with a friend of mine who hit the gas when trying to hit the brake during a left turn into a lane that had some cars stopped at a stop sign. We both screamed as the car started picking up speed and he ended up swerving and hitting the brick wall alongside the street. Fortunately he was driving an old and crappy Corolla with a 0-60 of seemingly 15 seconds so we didn’t hit hard. Only reason I knew he was on the gas was because he was locked up stiff even after we hit the wall and stopped and the car was still revving and I looked down and saw his foot right on the gas pushing it all the way down. I had to yell at him to let his foot off the gas. Funny thing was that afterwards he refused to believe he wasn’t hitting the brake the whole time no matter what I told him.

A Tesla modded/hacker wk047 (iirc) examined Tesla’s accel and brake system in detail and said it was basically impossible for there to be unintended acceleration. The go pedal has two sensors that read opposite directions on the pedal and both need to agree to send acceleration signals. The brake pedal is manually connected to the brakes, so even if somehow the impossible happened and a go signal was sent without the go pedal being pressed, the brakes would still engage. The system is coded so if both pedals are detected to be pressed, the car will beep and alert the driver and refuse to go. Even if that failed the brakes are strong enough to overpower the motors and slow and stop the car even if the throttle was opened up to full, so if the car is trying to go all out slamming the brakes all the way down will stop the car no matter what.

There’s a thread somewhere on this forum where wk047 broke everything down, but I’m too lazy to dig it up. He examined multiple cars where the owner claimed unintended acceleration, some to help insurance investigations, and every one he saw definitively that it was the driver hitting the go pedal instead of the brake. He even offered a 10k bounty at one point to any owner who claimed unintended acceleration where he would pay to for transport so he could examine the car and if it was unintended acceleration he would give them 10kin addition to his testimony against Tesla, and if it wasn’t they would pay him, iirc.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam