TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla S - Daily Driver or Second Car?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by texex91, Aug 21, 2013.

1. texex91

texex91 Banned

I am curious how many Tesla S drivers (any flavor) use as daily vehicle vs their weekend or second vehicle?

Thinking about downsizing from 3 (Porsche, Audi and SUV) vehicles to 2 (Tesla S and SUV).

Just curious how frequently others are using their Tesla's.

2. Chris

Chris Member

MS has been my daily driver since Dec 12. Commuting 70 miles daily without issues and loving it. Sold my previous car (RAV4!) and have not looked back. Go for it

3. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I don't think that you will find many people that the Model S is their second car(for long anyway).

4. Thumper

Thumper Member

Not just a daily driver, but our only car since Jan. 2. No regrets. As an only car, it is also a rejoinder to the rich people car slam. How much do most people have tied up in two or theree cars?

5. hfmalom

hfmalom Member

Daily Driver - Absolutely

It is really painful to drive the back up ICE car (the 2nd car does not speed up fast enough and does not slow down fast enough). Even if I had not planned to drive it every day I would make up reasons that I needed to drive the Tesla. My 2nd car is really the 3rd or 4th choice.

6. Longhorn92

Longhorn92 MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)

Model S is our daily driver (our 95%-of-the-time car). Our minivan is only used i) on long trips, ii) when we go to the pool, and iii) when we need to seat more than five.

7. Crispix

Crispix Member

You'll look at the Audi and Porsche and won't even feel like driving them. Really. And if your spouse is going to be assigned to the SUV, be prepared to negotiate who gets to drive the Tesla.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Even the Roadster is a daily driver for some people. With the Model S it is easy. Basically no compromises and the ideal daily driver.

9. texex91

texex91 Banned

#9 texex91, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    I had a feeling you might say that. I hardly drive Porsche now. I am single, so don't need to worry about the wife thing, but think will keep SUV for Home Depot runs or getting door dings at grocery store. But then again, maybe going to one would be a good thing. Hmmmm....

10. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

My only car for the last 6 months (>10k miles).

You should keep the SUV until next year, then replace it with a Model X.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Daily driver, weekends, trips, etc. Driving the ICE feels like when your mom made you clean your room instead of letting you play with your friends. Maybe a bad analogy but the best I can think of at the moment since my daughter was just sent to clean her room. Ha. Our ICE barely ever moves.

12. donv

donv Member

Model S is an outstanding daily driver. It's what it was designed for.

13. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Yes:)

14. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

I take my Model S to home depot all the time. With the seats folded down, you can fit an impressive amount of cargo. And I'm not the only one- a month or two ago after I parked at the El Cerrito Home Depot, I noticed another Model S parked in the next row.

15. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

S is my daily driver. All 90 miles of it.

I drive my ICE 6 miles a week...basically to keep the thing from rusting up!

16. Joe

Joe Member

Daily driver. About 100 miles round trip to NYC. Great car for NYC traffic - quick acceleration and slowing via regen! Only issue has been E-Z Pass (I use the external one) which somehow stops working after a few months and I need to get a replacement one.

17. solar powered

solar powered Member

Another daily driver. I can't afford to just have a weekend only car. And wouldn't you rather drive the "fun" car?

18. Seven7

Seven7 Member

Daily driver for the last three weeks (since I've had it) I held on to my C6 Corvette for about ten days after getting the model s and decided to sell the Corvette. Doubt I'll ever go back to a gas powered car.

19. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Daily driver for me too. Then I convinced the wife to drive it to St. Louis. Then once in a while became once a week, then 3 times a week, then 5 times a week. Now if I'm not driving it, she is. Our Model X reservation will fix that.

20. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

The S is a super practical daily driver. I always start each day with a full tank of electrons and can go anywhere I want. Everything fits, can take the full family and it is very comfortable. Best of all it is fun to drive. I have to admit keeping a 2001 Toyota 4runner in the driveway to take the dog to the vet or for driving dirt roads in the mountains.