Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S - Daily Driver or Second Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious how many Tesla S drivers (any flavor) use as daily vehicle vs their weekend or second vehicle?

Thinking about downsizing from 3 (Porsche, Audi and SUV) vehicles to 2 (Tesla S and SUV).

Just curious how frequently others are using their Tesla's.

Daily Driver - Absolutely

It is really painful to drive the back up ICE car (the 2nd car does not speed up fast enough and does not slow down fast enough). Even if I had not planned to drive it every day I would make up reasons that I needed to drive the Tesla. My 2nd car is really the 3rd or 4th choice.

You'll look at the Audi and Porsche and won't even feel like driving them. Really. And if your spouse is going to be assigned to the SUV, be prepared to negotiate who gets to drive the Tesla.

I had a feeling you might say that. I hardly drive Porsche now. I am single, so don't need to worry about the wife thing, but think will keep SUV for Home Depot runs or getting door dings at grocery store. But then again, maybe going to one would be a good thing. Hmmmm....

Last edited:
Daily driver, weekends, trips, etc. Driving the ICE feels like when your mom made you clean your room instead of letting you play with your friends. Maybe a bad analogy but the best I can think of at the moment since my daughter was just sent to clean her room. Ha. Our ICE barely ever moves.

I had a feeling you might say that. I hardly drive Porsche now. I am single, so don't need to worry about the wife thing, but think will keep SUV for Home Depot runs or getting door dings at grocery store. But then again, maybe going to one would be a good thing. Hmmmm....

I take my Model S to home depot all the time. With the seats folded down, you can fit an impressive amount of cargo. And I'm not the only one- a month or two ago after I parked at the El Cerrito Home Depot, I noticed another Model S parked in the next row.

Daily driver. About 100 miles round trip to NYC. Great car for NYC traffic - quick acceleration and slowing via regen! Only issue has been E-Z Pass (I use the external one) which somehow stops working after a few months and I need to get a replacement one.

Daily driver for me too. Then I convinced the wife to drive it to St. Louis. Then once in a while became once a week, then 3 times a week, then 5 times a week. Now if I'm not driving it, she is. Our Model X reservation will fix that.

The S is a super practical daily driver. I always start each day with a full tank of electrons and can go anywhere I want. Everything fits, can take the full family and it is very comfortable. Best of all it is fun to drive. I have to admit keeping a 2001 Toyota 4runner in the driveway to take the dog to the vet or for driving dirt roads in the mountains.