Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S - Daily Driver or Second Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Daily driver and road trip car. My wife still has an ICE RAV 4 because she feels it is "too new" to get rid of yet. If she has to dive to Denver she takes the S a d I get stuck with the RAV 4 for my short commute. When I took bags of leaves and bundled sticks to the dump I borrowed my neighbor's pickup. When I drove 150 miles to the mountains through a blizzard over a narrow winding road with snowboards and two passengers, we took the S.

Weekend car for sure, and I also drive it to work 5 days a week. LOL.

I kept my other car that I loved, thinking I would drive it every so often. Until a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't give up driving the MS to work. So two Fridays ago I drove my Genesis Coupe. And it SUCKED. It was loud, seemed like work to drive, antiquated, and smelled weird (cheaper leather).

All day at work I was dreading going home as I'd have to drive the 20 miles in something that wasn't my Tesla.

Genesis Coupe for sale...

As with others I hate having to drive an ICE car now, drive my Tesla Model S all the time, 8000 miles in 3 months. Once you go electric you will never go back.

Weekend car for sure, and I also drive it to work 5 days a week. LOL.

I kept my other car that I loved, thinking I would drive it every so often. Until a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't give up driving the MS to work. So two Fridays ago I drove my Genesis Coupe. And it SUCKED. It was loud, seemed like work to drive, antiquated, and smelled weird (cheaper leather).

All day at work I was dreading going home as I'd have to drive the 20 miles in something that wasn't my Tesla.

Genesis Coupe for sale...

The Model S is the primary vehicle for the family, daily driver for myself to work, weekend driver, run to the corner store, the mail box :)

Sadly the Lexus sits in the garage, filling the necessities of a second car only.

OK, just can't make it through the whole thread! So far I haven't seen even one response saying they use it as a weekend only car. I can't imagine driving anything but this car. Ok, I bought it for my wife. She drives it 2 - 4 days a week and I have to drive my Yukon on those days. Well, since it is HER car I ask every day she doesn't work if I could please drive the Model S? She usually lets me unless she is planning to drive any real distance that day. Since Dec. when we got it I only fill up my Yukon once a month instead of twice or more often as I did before. As for cost, well I just got my PG&E bill and it said I have over $100 credit for just this month from my solar panels! The Model S charges every night, starting at midnight. Is fully charged every morning. We have 3 cars. Yes, I still can't get rid of my 1965 Chevy Impala!!! But it sits in the back yard most of the time. We gave my wife's previous car to our son to drive to college in So Cal.

I drive the MS every day. We recently sold our minivan and replaced it with a Volt. We use the MS for hauling big stuff and when we have more than 4 ppl. The volt is used to transport the kids to school and activities. I don't remember the last time I was at a gas station.

My primary car! 8,000 miles since March. Total fuel cost: $360. Others include an Audi S6 wagon and a VW New Beetle. I've owned several Ferraris — most recently a 456GT 2+2. The Model S has the performance and looks of the 456GT combined with the utility of the Audi wagon. It's very unusual when your "fun car" is also your daily driver.

Not sure why this got so many replies. Isn't it obvious no one with a Model S would willingly drive an inferior car that costs more to run?

Actually I appreciate all of the replies. It seems as though almost half do have an ICE vehicle that they keep around or use for other things.

I am a) debating buying a Tesla S ; b) which cars should I unload (have 3) to do it

Thank you again for all of the replies.

Really? I read every post and I didn't get the same impression. All I see is people who have/drive an ICE as a last resort. So the answers:

a) Yes
b) All of them

:biggrin:

daily driver, split with wife. Sux when i have to use the ICE. We have a 3rd car for snow in mountain trips (AWD subaru). That has gotten less than 1000 miles in 8 months. When TM comes out with AWD model S, will trade in P85 and sell subaru, to have just 2 cars.

Daily driver - with daily fights over who gets to drive. Have almost 20k since Jan.
Do have 3 other vehicles, but only drive them if forced to. Most times I will wait until wife returns just so I can drive the MS.

Our Model S is my wife's daily driver and our joint road trip car (12,000 miles since December.)

Our "second" car and my daily driver is our Roadster. It has done its share of road trips as well, but now with Superchargers, there is little to justify taking her any distance.

We still own a Ford Escape Hybrid but loaned it to a friend for the summer and fall, so have been very much enjoying an ICE-free season. Our only decision now is whether to keep the Ford until the rumoured Gen III AWD SUV comes out, or toss restraint to the wind and buy a Model X next year. :)

...Our only decision now is whether to keep the Ford until the rumoured Gen III AWD SUV comes out, or toss restraint to the wind and buy a Model X next year. :)

Then, you'd have RSX! (Wait, that's an Acura...)

How's that for a daily driver?! (courtesy PureAmps's tripography.com)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377453954.859259.jpg

My daily driver. I have about a 120 mile round trip for generally three days out of my week. The other two I train it in, work from home or an at a client.

We have a ski house in VT, a 180 mile trip door to door. Given the lack of charging infrastructure up the I 91 corridor we have only taken the Tesla when we would be up there for a while and had time to endure the 120 at the house or stop along the way at various public chargers. If there is a Supercharger near Brattleboro , VT come winter I expect the Model S will make regular trips as long as there isn't a lot of snow in th forecast.