Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla S Isn't A Luxury Car"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to give it to him though...

First, Tesla insists on listing prices with government incentives--which buyers don't always qualify for--already deducted. Then we didn't get the more affordable 40-kWh Model S. Then we were told the Model S could cost as little as $500 per month (it doesn't). Then Tesla said it had earned a 5.4-star rating from the NHTSA (it didn't). And all along the way we've been assaulted from all corners with pre-order-inflated sales figures showing the Model S trouncing the luxury market's best alternatives month after month. Even Audi got annoyed by this.

All of this is true. All of the flack for this could have been avoided (maybe aside from the unforeseeable low demand for the 40kWh) if T hadn't tried to embellish. If T and Elon had stuck to the unembellished truth, it would still have made headlines on its own right, and we wouldn't have to see paragraphs like this.

I liked the article. Especially the last paragraph. The facts about my Tesla are impressive enough. I do not like having to defend the stretched facts (it only confuses the reporters and civilians who have actually read Tesla articles and looked at the Tesla web site).

All of this is true. All of the flack for this could have been avoided (maybe aside from the unforeseeable low demand for the 40kWh) if T hadn't tried to embellish. If T and Elon had stuck to the unembellished truth, it would still have made headlines on its own right, and we wouldn't have to see paragraphs like this.

Oh I certainly don't disagree.

However, I think Tesla S competes with 'Luxury Cars'--certainly by reading here what others own/owned before buying S.

It has it's own category--"Luxury EV" :smile:

Last edited:
I agree with most of the article.

Certainly, the Model S is a very nice car; however, it lacks in many of the refinements/features of the S-Class or even an E-Class (stitching, leather quality, body panel fitment, blind spot sensors, lane keeping assist, self-parking, radar cruise control, etc, etc).

First, Tesla insists on listing prices with government incentives--which buyers don't always qualify for--already deducted. Then we didn't get the more affordable 40-kWh Model S. Then we were told the Model S could cost as little as $500 per month (it doesn't). Then Tesla said it had earned a 5.4-star rating from the NHTSA (it didn't). And all along the way we've been assaulted from all corners with pre-order-inflated sales figures showing the Model S trouncing the luxury market's best alternatives month after month. Even Audi got annoyed by this.

He has his sources mixed up. Tesla never said they were outselling Audi. That was from a CNN Money writer who neglected to mention that the sales comparison only applied to the Audi A8. Most of what's in this article is taken from other articles, not from Tesla press releases or from Elon Musk.

He has his sources mixed up. Tesla never said they were outselling Audi. That was from a CNN Money writer who neglected to mention that the sales comparison only applied to the Audi A8. Most of what's in this article is taken from other articles, not from Tesla press releases or from Elon Musk.

I was in the Tesla store in Bellevue today and the salesperson there was selling the car by stating that Tesla is the number 1 selling luxury car and then repeating the salesfigures of Audi, Merc and BMW.

I was in the Tesla store in Bellevue today and the salesperson there was selling the car by stating that Tesla is the number 1 selling luxury car and then repeating the salesfigures of Audi, Merc and BMW.

Sales figures for specific models or for the entire brands? Was he/she talking only about California? Based on new car registrations, Tesla did outsell several brands entirely in the State of California during the first six months of this year. Audi, Mercedes and BMW were not among them. However, the Model S may well have outsold specific models made by those three brands, such as the Audi A8.

Tesla Model S outsells Porsche, Jaguar, Buick in California - SlashGear

Keep in mind that this information has been compiled and reported by third parties. Tesla never issued a press release about it.

Last edited:

OK, good point, but the other stuff still stands.

Sales figures for specific models or for the entire brands? Was he/she talking only about California? Based on new car registrations, Tesla did outsell several brands entirely in the State of California during the first six months of this year. Audi, Mercedes and BMW were not among them. However, the Model S may well have outsold specific models made by those three brands, such as the Audi A8.

Tesla Model S outsells Porsche, Jaguar, Buick in California - SlashGear

Keep in mind that this information has been compiled and reported by third parties. Tesla never issued a press release about it.

Yeah - I cannot find the specific source but I recall seeing an article that noted Tesla outselling a specific model of Audi, BMW & Mercedes in one of the quarters this year.

Ok - Googled as I write...it was a CNN Money article - Tesla sales beating Mercedes, BMW and Audi - May. 13, 2013 .

It's funny the guy complains about Tesla quoting the after tax rebate price then does the same thing in the artice. Like many journalists he also twists Tesla blog post about the 5 star NHSTA rating. Tesla never said that it earned 5 stars on the official rating system. They specifically mentioned on the internal rating system (VSS) of NHSTA, which Tesla wasn't supposed to blab to the public, it got a rating of 5.4.

Coming from the mid-size sedan market to a Tesla, I put it in the luxury department. Luxury doesn't necessarily mean every gadget known to man is thrown in the car or based on cost alone.

Yet another example of a misleading opening line...

"The Tesla Model S, a fully electric luxury sedan from Elon Musk's Tesla Motors, outsold all major luxury brands in California in the first half of 2013."

Yes, they did outsell a few luxury brands, but this statement sounds all-inclusive, and it will no doubt be re-quoted by countless other online articles.