TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Tesla S Isn't A Luxury Car"

Discussion in 'Model S' started by texex91, Aug 26, 2013.

1. texex91

texex91 Banned

2. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

You have to give it to him though...

All of this is true. All of the flack for this could have been avoided (maybe aside from the unforeseeable low demand for the 40kWh) if T hadn't tried to embellish. If T and Elon had stuck to the unembellished truth, it would still have made headlines on its own right, and we wouldn't have to see paragraphs like this.

3. hfmalom

hfmalom Member

I liked the article. Especially the last paragraph. The facts about my Tesla are impressive enough. I do not like having to defend the stretched facts (it only confuses the reporters and civilians who have actually read Tesla articles and looked at the Tesla web site).

4. texex91

texex91 Banned

#4 texex91, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    Oh I certainly don't disagree.

However, I think Tesla S competes with 'Luxury Cars'--certainly by reading here what others own/owned before buying S.

It has it's own category--"Luxury EV" :smile:

5. logan

logan Member

I agree with most of the article.

Certainly, the Model S is a very nice car; however, it lacks in many of the refinements/features of the S-Class or even an E-Class (stitching, leather quality, body panel fitment, blind spot sensors, lane keeping assist, self-parking, radar cruise control, etc, etc).

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Tesla even calls it a premium sedan which he mentions and then complains others call it a luxury sedan. I don't get the article.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Nit-picking. Sounded to me like he liked it but didn't want to.

8. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

He has his sources mixed up. Tesla never said they were outselling Audi. That was from a CNN Money writer who neglected to mention that the sales comparison only applied to the Audi A8. Most of what's in this article is taken from other articles, not from Tesla press releases or from Elon Musk.

9. deonb

deonb Active Member

I was in the Tesla store in Bellevue today and the salesperson there was selling the car by stating that Tesla is the number 1 selling luxury car and then repeating the salesfigures of Audi, Merc and BMW.

10. texex91

texex91 Banned

Ooops.

11. ToddRLockwood

#11 ToddRLockwood, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    Sales figures for specific models or for the entire brands? Was he/she talking only about California? Based on new car registrations, Tesla did outsell several brands entirely in the State of California during the first six months of this year. Audi, Mercedes and BMW were not among them. However, the Model S may well have outsold specific models made by those three brands, such as the Audi A8.

Tesla Model S outsells Porsche, Jaguar, Buick in California - SlashGear

Keep in mind that this information has been compiled and reported by third parties. Tesla never issued a press release about it.

12. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

OK, good point, but the other stuff still stands.

13. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

Yeah - I cannot find the specific source but I recall seeing an article that noted Tesla outselling a specific model of Audi, BMW & Mercedes in one of the quarters this year.

Ok - Googled as I write...it was a CNN Money article - Tesla sales beating Mercedes, BMW and Audi - May. 13, 2013 .

14. loganss

loganss Spaceman

It's funny the guy complains about Tesla quoting the after tax rebate price then does the same thing in the artice. Like many journalists he also twists Tesla blog post about the 5 star NHSTA rating. Tesla never said that it earned 5 stars on the official rating system. They specifically mentioned on the internal rating system (VSS) of NHSTA, which Tesla wasn't supposed to blab to the public, it got a rating of 5.4.

Coming from the mid-size sedan market to a Tesla, I put it in the luxury department. Luxury doesn't necessarily mean every gadget known to man is thrown in the car or based on cost alone.

15. ToddRLockwood

Yet another example of a misleading opening line...

"The Tesla Model S, a fully electric luxury sedan from Elon Musk's Tesla Motors, outsold all major luxury brands in California in the first half of 2013."

Yes, they did outsell a few luxury brands, but this statement sounds all-inclusive, and it will no doubt be re-quoted by countless other online articles.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

17. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

Seriously, how does this prototype continue to appear in articles? This one even calls it the 2013 Model S.

18. liuping

liuping Active Member

They google image search "Tesla Model S", many of the clean "showroom" type pictures are of the prototype.

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Journalistic laziness. That's the only thing I've come up with.