Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S loud at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have been getting complaints from family members that my car is loud at night. With complaints that it prevents people from sleeping, it will upset the neighbors, it will be the end of the world, etc.

I believe this might be the air conditioning. I also believe the time of the noise corresponds with the charging time. I haven't observed the problem myself though... Doing a search I see this is a problem for supercharging. But I am not supercharging, but charging at 240V 32A using a wall connector.

Seems to happen with an outside temperature of around 20 degrees.

But the question then arises why hasn't this been a problem previous years during summer? We have never noticed it until this year.

Any ideas on how to minimize the noise levels at night?

Thanks

Reactions: BCTS
Brian:
I had exactly the same issues when I first purchased my Model S 2nd hand. It was driving the family utterly insane... waking us up every 45 minutes and night.
I had to Park the Car in the Back Corner of our Yard at night to keep everyone sane!!!

Subsequent discussions with Tesla didn't really help much, I even started to get the EPA involved.
However we found a fix after the issues were escalated to USA Support Engineers.

The Issue:
What was happening in my case was the the vehicle was failing to go to Sleep. It was essentially trying but failing to and then the Fan cycles and cooling woud start again.

The Fix:
1) Reset the Password on your Tesla Account
2) Contact Tesla Service and request that they reset any Tokens/Third Party app access to your Vehicle
3) They should be able to do this within 2-3 hours... at which point you should find your car suddenly becomes much more quiet.

I was so paranoid after this fix was applied that it took me another 6-7 months until I started using Teslafi again.. however since doing so it's been working fine and quiet still.

In my case I think there were legacy tokens active from the previous owner that were causing me issues.

Yikes. Your case sounds even worse then my case. Sounds like Tesla's fault. I would have hoped that the process of transferring ownership would reset all tokens.

In my case, no previous owners, so that unlikely to be in issue. I am using teslamate, would be rather surprised if it is doing anything to keep the tesla awake.

... and I believe the car normally wakes up to charge anyway.

According to teslamate, last night my car charged for 40 minutes, stopped, 6 minutes later fell asleep for 32 minutes, then woke up and started charging again for an hour. Now that is also weird.

Yikes. Your case sounds even worse then my case. Sounds like Tesla's fault. I would have hoped that the process of transferring ownership would reset all tokens.

In my case, no previous owners, so that unlikely to be in issue. I am using teslamate, would be rather surprised if it is doing anything to keep the tesla awake.

According to teslamate, last night my car charged for 40 minutes, stopped, 6 minutes later fell asleep for 32 minutes, then woke up and started charging again for an hour. Now that is also weird.
My car charges during the day and sometimes when I do a fast charge the fan spools up for cooling to incredibly loud levels. Happens to both cars and also the last two so I assume its normal. You might have to restrict your charging to non-sleeping hours. The only way I’ve been able to reduce noise is reduce the charge amps. start with half your current amps and see how much difference that makes. My charging is 3 phase (single phase will be different) and I’ve found the fan noise to be near non-existant at around 13amps, and like a jet engine if charging on full Amps

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Brian:
I think that sometimes it can just be that Token's don't purge properly etc.. Ever Since I've resolved the issue I've been able to have the Car plugged in at night and charging and haven't heard it at all.

It's right outside my window.. Charging at 32A (7KW) everynight... even when it was 30+ Degrees still outside.

Definitely try the Token Purge.. it's an easy thing for the Engineers to do and its a good starting point.

Brian...
Did you have any updates...?

My a/c always roars when supercharging, but I imagine that's just cooling batteries that are having to deal with 120kW being pumped into them. However, it occasionally roars up for a few minutes when on a little bitty 20A single phase WC at home. Weird.