Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S model wiki?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hts1

Sep 15, 2019
Texas
First time poster/lurker.

Thinking about purchasing a used S and was hoping there might be some sort of wiki/sticky here to help me understand the major model differences. I understand Tesla does a ton of OTA changes, so I'm not really concerned about those, but rather hard product changes. For example, I read elsewhere that a Nov 2014 through Apr 2015 P85D would be a real find with the Performance Plus suspension, and that a P85D with Performance Plus and ludicrous mode might be even rarer and a real cherry.

Is there a sticky here (or on another forum) that would help me identify which particular S models might be best for me as I begin my research? This is my first electric vehicle. Long-time BMW owner. Budget is around $50k.

A week later, 152 views, and not a single response?

Is this a stoopid question?

Does this information exist somewhere on this site and I'm just too blind to see it?

Is there no 1 or 2 years/models/options that are generally regarded as primo to a majority of knowledgeable owners (coming from BMW, my 2003 540i M-sport e39 was generally considered a real peach and in triple black, an awesome find, but I digress)?

DM me if you're concerned with going out on a limb with your opinion and don't want to start some sort of flame war--I don't care. I'm just looking to focus my search please.

I found this link to be incredibly useful whenever I was first researching used Tesla Model S cars and trying to decide what manufacturer date I wanted in order to get the options/features I personally felt were most valuable.

In addition, be sure to use the search function on this forum for endless useful information. The more time you invest on doing that now the more you'll enjoy your new car and fewer regrets you'll have later.

First time poster/lurker.

Thinking about purchasing a used S and was hoping there might be some sort of wiki/sticky here to help me understand the major model differences. I understand Tesla does a ton of OTA changes, so I'm not really concerned about those, but rather hard product changes. For example, I read elsewhere that a Nov 2014 through Apr 2015 P85D would be a real find with the Performance Plus suspension, and that a P85D with Performance Plus and ludicrous mode might be even rarer and a real cherry.

Is there a sticky here (or on another forum) that would help me identify which particular S models might be best for me as I begin my research? This is my first electric vehicle. Long-time BMW owner. Budget is around $50k.

Here is the link that you are looking for... lots of great information on the early Model S. :cool: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

upload_2019-9-25_20-42-28.png

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Thanks for that. I am familiar with that general Tesla S internet wiki. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my initial post. I read this on another forum (I'm sorry but I don't recall which one):

The gem within the Version 2 lineup is the November 2014 through April 2015 P85D which has the track-tuned Performance Plus suspension from the P85+. This feature was eliminated in cars produced after April 2015 and has not reappeared even in the later P90D and P100D cars. An extra special gem would be a P85D with the Performance Plus suspension and the Ludicrous Mode retrofit (which was only available for a short time).

This is the sort of insider tidbit that I'm craving. Should I be looking for a used P85D with PP and Ludicrous mode, or perhaps Tesla made the performance plus features that were only available via an option in 2014/2015 standard starting in 2016 (or something like that--I'm obviously making this up) such that I don't need to find this specific model I can just buy any P85D+ manufactured after 4/16 and still get the great suspension/performance capabilities.

That's the sort of hard core insider nugget I'm looking for that I can't learn from the wiki table--thanks!!