Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S navigation screen goes black while backing up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Tesla S Long Range. Recently, I started the car to back out of the garage. The screen showed the navigation and music system, etc. I put the car in reverse and rather than have the cameras come on, the view screen went black entirely. I was still able to back up stopped after a short distance. I tried to shift the car to drive to return to the driveway since the screen still did not come on, but it would not shift gears. I pressed the button to put in park, but it would not go into park.

I then rebooted using the two scroll wheels. Although the screen stayed black, I was able to shift to drive and move forward back into the garage and shift into park. I then waited a minute or so and the view screen finally showed a T to indicate it was rebooting and finally rebooted back to the navigation screen. After that, the car performed normally.

In other post I read that this type of issue (screen going black while driving) does not affect driving, but from this experience I question that since initially I was not able to shift gears until I rebooted.