Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S non-compliant with lighting regulations in USA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
It bothers me that my S won't keep the parking lights on when I turn the switch to parking lights, and I leave the car. As soon as I open the door to get out... they go off. Tsk! tsk! tsk!... this right here is Tesla's error.

Sometimes I just want my car to be marked at dusk, because, you know, safety. I stop to get the mail on a rural road in the dead of winter, and it's dark, and no matter what position I select on the light switch... all lights go off when I open the door. I am standing there on the road in the dark. My car is dark. This is stupid.

It's a real concern of mine, and I figured this must be a safety hazard... and sure enough some quick random google searches point out this is non-compliant behavior...

Here's the state of Washington, for example. The underlined part is mine.

RCW 46.37.150
Lamps on vehicles—Parked or stopped vehicles, lighting requirements.
(1) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more lamps, which, when lighted, shall display a white or amber light visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the front of the vehicle, and a red light visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the rear of the vehicle. The location of said lamp or lamps shall always be such that at least one lamp or combination of lamps meeting the requirements of this section is installed as near as practicable to the side of the vehicle which is closest to passing traffic.
(2) Whenever a vehicle is lawfully parked upon a street or highway during the hours between a half hour after sunset and a half hour before sunrise and in the event there is sufficient light to reveal any person or object within a distance of one thousand feet upon such street or highway, no lights need be displayed upon such parked vehicle.
(3) Whenever a vehicle is parked or stopped upon a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto, outside an incorporated city or town, whether attended or unattended, during the hours between a half hour after sunset and a half hour before sunrise and there is insufficient light to reveal any person or object within a distance of one thousand feet upon such highway, such vehicle so parked or stopped shall be equipped with and shall display lamps meeting the requirements of subsection (1) of this section.
(4) Any lighted head lamps upon a parked vehicle shall be depressed or dimmed.

This is public plea to get Tesla to make it right.

And before you tell me... NO, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a person to roll down the window, get out, shut door, reach in through the window over to the console and move lighting switch to "parking" position. (Yes, this will cause the parking lights to come on and is the only way I have found to get them on when the car is parked and nobody is in it.)

If you too are concerned about this situation you can do what I do as a work around... turn on the hazard flashers. These aren't parking lights but can save you from getting hit.

Last edited:
It's an option you can activate on the settings "keep lights on" when you exiting car
Go to "Lights" section on the manual

Headlights After Exit

When you stop driving and park Model S in

low lighting conditions, the exterior lights

automatically turn on. They automatically turn

off after one minute or when you lock

Model S.

You can turn this feature on and off using the

touchscreen. Touch Controls > Settings >

Vehicle > Headlights After Exit. When

Headlights After Exit is set to Off, the

headlights turn off when you engage the Park

gear.

perhaps a Canada thing. Did you try leaving the turn signal down? Some other cars are this way.
I don't think it's a Canadian thing... just tested it and my 2015 70D's parking lights stay on after exiting/locking the car if I manually turn them on via the Control screen. DRLs too. Don't need to leave the turn signal down. Maybe a unique problem with the OP's car? or a different/older firmware version?

Edit: now looking at brkaus's comment in the post below mine....

In my Mar 2017 S100D

- park car after driving. Car in park. Put on parking lights. They turn off after I exit.

- if the car is in “car off - press brake”. I can turn on the parking lights and they stay in after I exit and close door.

Looks like going to “car off” state turns off the lights.

maybe that's the difference. when I said above I tested my car, it was after the car was already parked for a while and I went back in to turn on the parking lights. I did not try just after driving...

Last edited:
In my Mar 2017 S100D

- park car after driving. Car in park. Put on parking lights. They turn off after I exit.

- if the car is in “car off - press brake”. I can turn on the parking lights and they stay in after I exit and close door.

Looks like going to “car off” state turns off the lights.

• Informative
Reactions: Matutino
It bothers me that my S won't keep the parking lights on when I turn the switch to parking lights, and I leave the car. As soon as I open the door to get out... they go off. Tsk! tsk! tsk!... this right here is Tesla's error.

Sometimes I just want my car to be marked at dusk, because, you know, safety. I stop to get the mail on a rural road in the dead of winter, and it's dark, and no matter what position I select on the light switch... all lights go off when I open the door. I am standing there on the road in the dark. My car is dark. This is stupid.

It's a real concern of mine, and I figured this must be a safety hazard... and sure enough some quick random google searches point out this is non-compliant behavior...

Here's the state of Washington, for example. The underlined part is mine.

RCW 46.37.150
Lamps on vehicles—Parked or stopped vehicles, lighting requirements.
(1) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more lamps, which, when lighted, shall display a white or amber light visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the front of the vehicle, and a red light visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the rear of the vehicle. The location of said lamp or lamps shall always be such that at least one lamp or combination of lamps meeting the requirements of this section is installed as near as practicable to the side of the vehicle which is closest to passing traffic.
(2) Whenever a vehicle is lawfully parked upon a street or highway during the hours between a half hour after sunset and a half hour before sunrise and in the event there is sufficient light to reveal any person or object within a distance of one thousand feet upon such street or highway, no lights need be displayed upon such parked vehicle.
(3) Whenever a vehicle is parked or stopped upon a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto, outside an incorporated city or town, whether attended or unattended, during the hours between a half hour after sunset and a half hour before sunrise and there is insufficient light to reveal any person or object within a distance of one thousand feet upon such highway, such vehicle so parked or stopped shall be equipped with and shall display lamps meeting the requirements of subsection (1) of this section.
(4) Any lighted head lamps upon a parked vehicle shall be depressed or dimmed.

This is public plea to get Tesla to make it right.

And before you tell me... NO, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a person to roll down the window, get out, shut door, reach in through the window over to the console and move lighting switch to "parking" position. (Yes, this will cause the parking lights to come on and is the only way I have found to get them on when the car is parked and nobody is in it.)

If you too are concerned about this situation you can do what I do as a work around... turn on the hazard flashers. These aren't parking lights but can save you from getting hit.

Regarding the use of the term "non-compliant":
Parking lamp requirements for the US are defined in FMVSS 108.
The only on/off requirement is that they be on when the headlights are in a steady on state.
Steady burning.
Must be activated when the headlamps are activated in a steady burning state.
IF Tesla's lights do not stay on after exit, the only legal impact is that you couldn't park your vehicle in WA in the conditions you quoted, it does not make the car defective/ non-compliant.

It's all about your butt ;) No kidding.

You want to leave the lights on? Get out of the car, lifting your butt will turn the car off. Now reach in without resting your hand on the seat and turn the lights on... close the door and voila. Lights on while car is off and you are out. I do that all the time at shows or when my car is on display (EV events and such)

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and mrElbe
It's all about your butt ;) No kidding.

You want to leave the lights on? Get out of the car, lifting your butt will turn the car off. Now reach in without resting your hand on the seat and turn the lights on... close the door and voila. Lights on while car is off and you are out. I do that all the time at shows or when my car is on display (EV events and such)

Correct. To leave the parking lights on indefinitely, you have to reach in and turn them on after you have gotten out of the car. If you do it before you get out of the seat, the car will turn the lights back off. This can be done with the door open as opposed to through the window as the OP suggested.

Our Cadillac, on the other hand, thinks it's smarter than we are and turns the parking lights off after 10 minutes no matter what. Either that or there is some trick that I've yet to discover. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Regarding the use of the term "non-compliant":
Parking lamp requirements for the US are defined in FMVSS 108.
The only on/off requirement is that they be on when the headlights are in a steady on state.

IF Tesla's lights do not stay on after exit, the only legal impact is that you couldn't park your vehicle in WA in the conditions you quoted, it does not make the car defective/ non-compliant.

Ya.. I'm not buying it. Washington is just one example... check your state too.

I'm in Canada, yes, I live here it's a Canadian car. Others in this thread in USA are reporting same issue for USA cars.

It's not like I care that Tesla is compliant or not, I just think it's dumb choices they made for lighting control.

Lights shouldn't go off just because you leave the car. There should be an easy way to keep them on. Most cars allow this with light switch position to Parking lights.

By the way, I can turn the slider to ON or AUTO and yes, everything goes dark no matter what as soon as I open the door in Park.

Twiddling the convenience feature that leaves headlights on for a minute after leaving the car is not the answer either.

Nobody should have to do mental gymnastics, game the car, or devise work-arounds just to have Parking lights stay on. So I'm calling Tesla out on it. If they sell a car in USA it's got to be good for all state regulations too. They're non-compliant for at least WA.. so fix the damn car.

Last edited:

I'm in Canada, yes, I live here it's a Canadian car. Others in this thread in USA are reporting same issue for USA cars.

It's not like I care that Tesla is compliant or not, I just think it's dumb choices they made for lighting control.

Lights shouldn't go off just because you leave the car. There should be an easy way to keep them on. Most cars allow this with light switch position to Parking lights.

By the way, I can turn the slider to ON or AUTO and yes, everything goes dark no matter what as soon as I open the door in Park.

Twiddling the convenience feature that leaves headlights on for a minute after leaving the car is not the answer either.

Nobody should have to do mental gymnastics, game the car, or devise work-arounds just to have Parking lights stay on. So I'm calling Tesla out on it. If they sell a car in USA it's got to be good for all state regulations too. They're non-compliant for at least WA.. so fix the damn car.
Posts #2, #8 and #9 all say that the lights stay on after exiting the car.
I haven't found any posts that say they have the problem you describe.
? service

Re-read #9

And see #12

I don't think its just my car. Go try yours too.

Get in car, put car in gear, then put car in Park, then put light switch to Parking position, then open door to get. Step out. Poof! They go off.

The car reverts to AUTO any time it turns off. If it didn't do that, people could forget and leave their lights on if they had selected PARKING or ON in their previous trip.

As several of us have mentioned, there is an easy way to leave the parking lights on. Once your car is off (you get out of the driver's seat), turn the lights back on to whatever setting you want and they will stay that way. No mental or physical gymnastics required other than reaching in to press the appropriate button on the screen. Not being aware of this does not make the vehicle non-compliant.

Yes, i can reach back in to center console and turn switch to Parking and they will stay on after shutting the door. Kinda gymnastics to do it because you can't touch -put weight on- the driver's seat.

But doing the two-step with the car like this is really a work-around IMHO.

By the way, didn't the switch position for Parking lights used to say the word Park? I just noticed now it is a symbol of Parking lights and not a word .. maybe I just imagined that.