Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 's Number One Fanboy Neutered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice none of your problems were with the electric drivetrain. Tesla has proven how great these drivetrains are. They've also proven how they suck at building everything BESIDES the drivetrain. And a lot of it is just stupid idealistic design, like popout door handles and motorized charge doors - these things just create maintenance nightmares on parts that could have been cheaper and more reliable if tesla weren't so obsessed with seeming techie and futuristic.
It just sucks that tesla is hurting the reliability reputation of EVs, but it's not because of the EV part. It's because of all the extraneous techno-toys they insist on putting in the cars.
Uhhh Axles are part of the drivetrain.

Drive unit and battery pack, here's the verbiage from my agreement anyway...

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty
The Model S lithium-ion battery (the “Battery”) and Drive Unit are extremely sophisticated
powertrain components designed to withstand extreme driving conditions. You can rest easy
knowing that Tesla’s state-of-the-art Battery and Drive Unit are backed by this Battery and Drive
Unit Limited Warranty, which covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective
Battery or Drive Unit, subject to the limitations described below
Guess I too subconsciously filed this as a "powertrain" warranty, good to know, for me it's one more check in "pro" column for the ESA, I'm at decision time (50k miles / 80k km). But either way, I knew my Model S was a risky venture and a declining asset I could just barely afford, but I require a car for work and that helps things out at tax time, and it's actually a helpful talking point for some of my industrial transformation work. It's been a big improvement in my life to be honest so it makes me sad to hear these stories. I hope everything works out.

Received a call from Jason, Tesla service manager yesterday. No refund but he offered me some credit with Tesla service which is fine with me, I am totally happy with that.

We had a discussion of the quality of work and the need for mechanics to have pride in there work. Also how the quick ramp up of the company has made it hard to stay ahead of quality issues. Jason indicated they are pushing hard to reach 100% satisfaction, maybe unrealistic , but I'm sure every screwup comes back to bit again and again. It takes 50 attaboys to make up for one screwup and in my case, 5 screwups by 3 service centers is barely 50%.

I am super pleased with Tesla's attempts to solve the problem and not just blow you off like some merchants often do. I am a little worried though, that Tesla will have problems staying ahead of service requirement as cars multiply and get older.

Well the saga continues! We have 3000 miles since the $4500 axle repair. We had the car loaded for our trip to Custer SD for the Tesla Rally and were one hour from departure time. I moved the car to get extra room to do some dress up on the wheels. I noticed a large oil spot where the car had been sitting. Called Tesla and they requested pictures as I was concerned the car may not be in condition for a 1000 mile trip. After sending pictures of bottom of car showing oil covering the battery almost to the rear axle, Tesla said we are picking up the car don't drive. They were here to pick it up in two hours, barely enough time to unload. Obvious another SC mechanic screwup.

We were forced to cancel our trip. Tesla asked if we wanted a rented car. I said no! I will be dammed if I am going to a Tesla Rally in a rented car. All of our reservations were refunded except one in Billings $85.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Well the saga continues! We have 3000 miles since the $4500 axle repair. We had the car loaded for our trip to Custer SD for the Tesla Rally and were one hour from departure time. I moved the car to get extra room to do some dress up on the wheels. I noticed a large oil spot where the car had been sitting. Called Tesla and they requested pictures as I was concerned the car may not be in condition for a 1000 mile trip. After sending pictures of bottom of car showing oil covering the battery almost to the rear axle, Tesla said we are picking up the car don't drive. They were here to pick it up in two hours, barely enough time to unload. Obvious another SC mechanic screwup.

We were forced to cancel our trip. Tesla asked if we wanted a rented car. I said no! I will be dammed if I am going to a Tesla Rally in a rented car. All of our reservations were refunded except one in Billings $85.
Oh no! Very sorry to hear that. Glad they were able to come get it and hope it will be returned soon!

Received notice from SL SC that the complete front drive unit was replaced due to damage from the installation of new axles. Won't get car back until late next week. :-(

Given the incredibly high failure rate you've suffered from Service Center work, has it occurred to you that maybe it's the other way around? That there was never anything wrong with your axles and the original symptoms were caused by your bad front drive unit? You should escalate your previous request again. Good luck!

The saga continues

Driving home yesterday from doctors appointment I was hearing a loud clunk coming from front of Tesla P64710 which you just had in for service for two weeks. Ironically this service was necessary because another Service Center had left the front drain plug lose. This noise was getting worse as we drove and I though it could be dangerous so decided to see what I could find. I started by removing the frunk. This is what I found. (pix)
I was unable to find the noise problem under the frunk . I drove the car over a pit and found the ball joint that connects to the sway bar was lose, required about one turn to tighten, left side. At least this time it was not life threatening.
Do all Tesla Service centers do work like this? Tesla has spent Thousands of dollars on SC screwups on just this car. how can they stay in business doing that?
Quality issues have been Battery relay, Front Axles, Control screen, Charge door, One door latch (fixed myself )
SC caused problems, Cracked AC pump, Oil left out of both drive units, Wheels left lose, Oil plug left lose, requiring drive unit replacement, Bolts left out, Suspension links left lose. Failure to have parts after 1000 mile drive.