Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S or X Rental from Los Angeles to San Francisco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!
I am new here and I do hope if I could get some help (hopefully I am the right place!)
Greetings from Singapore too! Yes I will be a tourist in USA!

I am touring LA from 16 MAY 2022 to 21 MAY 2022, traveling on our honeymoon from Los Angeles to San Francisco with a couple stops at Yosemite, Big Sure, Monterey.

Was wondering if there are any rental companies or anyone renting their Tesla S or X?
(Sunroof is a big plus for our road trip)

Hertz has Model 3 only but you can always rent from Turo which has model S/X/3/Y. But unless you can find an owner that is willing to get their car back at SFO and drive back down to SoCal you may have to plan a drive back down yourself and leave from LAX. Hertz will definitely do one way different location pick up and drop off but you will have to pay more. Unless you plan to camp at Yosemite in the car the Model 3 should be fine unless you have more passengers or lots of luggage. As for the sunroof, you need to look for an older model, all current models have glass roof.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I am new here and I do hope if I could get some help (hopefully I am the right place!)

I am touring LA from 16 MAY 2022 to 21 MAY 2022, traveling on our honeymoon from Los Angeles to San Francisco with a couple stops at Yosemite, Big Sure, Monterey.

Was wondering if there are any rental companies or anyone renting their Tesla S or X?
First, congrats on the wedding! You are picking a great time of the year to visit California and has a lot of great places to visit.

@SaveOurPlanet gave you great info on the rentals.

The only suggestion I would add is to make sure you are not trying to pack too much into your 4+ days itinerary. The distances are pretty big in California. If you are driving from LA to SF on Highway 1 that can use up a lot of time especially if you want to stop for an afternoon and hang out on a beach or an area like Monterey/Carmel, Solvang, etc.

PS. I can't wait until my next visit to SG.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

My Model S has a sunroof

Hi All,

Trying to plan a similar trip for the wife and I. We would be arriving at SFO August 20, Leaving LAX September 4th 2022. Ideally, we'd love to be able to rent an X as we're looking to buy once our current car dies. Hertz won't allow one way trips at the moment, so I'm kind of stuck. Any help would be super appreciated!

Why don’t you use Turo? Contact the hosts and see which one is willing to fly to LA and drive their car back to SF. You’ll have to pay some money for this of course. Once you agree on a price, have the host adjust their booking price and you make the booking at this new price - everyone wins.
Hi All,

Trying to plan a similar trip for the wife and I. We would be arriving at SFO August 20, Leaving LAX September 4th 2022. Ideally, we'd love to be able to rent an X as we're looking to buy once our current car dies. Hertz won't allow one way trips at the moment, so I'm kind of stuck. Any help would be super appreciated!