Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S windshield fits in back of Tesla S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Some things you just gotta know. And this is one thing that is possible. Fills the whole back and my dog had to sit on the floor behind the front seats, but she was OK with that.

Once unboxed from its Tesla packaging you can carefully lift and fit it in the back of the car with seats folded down.

I placed it with curvature upward like a cup, won't lie flat through the seat opening but fits tilting up the "front leading edge" of the windshield and propping it up in the opening.

OF COURSE lots of boxes and foam packaging strategically propped to keep all resting stresses off the glass and nestled like an egg in a nest accommodates sharp road bumps... rode with it like that for 300 miles home to trusted glass shop near me to install. Tesla would have charged ~ $300 to have it shipped there instead.. but since SC is free for me did the trip...

Just know that you can!

• Informative
Reactions: A-E
Yes I drove the new windshield home in the car that it is intended for... and is being installed as we 'speak'.

I would not want to make a business of Tesla replacement windshield deliveries... nerves wracked about the potential of doing something wrong and ....cccrrraack ... discovering glass doesn't fold, is not my idea of fun.

Yes I drove the new windshield home in the car that it is intended for... and is being installed as we 'speak'.

I would not want to make a business of Tesla replacement windshield deliveries... nerves wracked about the potential of doing something wrong and ....cccrrraack ... discovering glass doesn't fold, is not my idea of fun.
Excellent, and interesting way to deliver parts for your own car! :D

Why did you not have the service center install it? Just wondering. My windshield needs replacing too.

I started the request for new windshield in May 2017. And just got it now. When I happen to be in the SC and the guy said, 'by the way your windshield is here'.... I wasn't going to leave without it.

I had not made an appointment for glass, plus they either don't like to or won't install glass (if they're too busy) and since this is something that can be shopped out easily.. they do. They refer out and enjoy using a particular local shop.

I went with that same shop chain, but local to where I live. Who, have done Tesla's and know how to work on them.

Find out if your SC does windshields.. If you get a feeling they'd rather not... perhaps you can have the delivery point of the glass being a shop you like and Tesla can just drop ship there rather than receive it at the SC first. My SC indicated they'd be into doing that... and may even prefer it.

Failing that... you can cart it around to where you like.