Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Safety Recall Steering - was charged $3k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my Model X in to service because the steering wheel was very stiff while driving (see attached for detailed invoice) on Dec 30 2022 and was charged $3K +

And then I get the following email on Jan 3 2023

REASON FOR THIS RECALL
Release of Software Package 2022.36 changed calibration values for the electronic power assist steering system, which may inadvertently classify forces from external road dynamics (i.e., potholes or bumps) as unexpected steering assist torque, possibly resulting in reduced or lost power of steering assist.Reduced or lost power of steering assist may require greater steering effort, especially at lower speeds, which may increase the risk of a crash.​
WHAT TESLA WILL DO
We remedied this issue with a free over-the-air (“OTA”) software update that reverts the calibration values for the electronic power assist steering system.​

Was I charged for something that was a recall issue? If yes, what recourse do I have? I just find this super shady.

Attachments

• IMG_8870.jpg
    IMG_8870.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 112
You didn't clarify what OTA you were on ... were you on 2022.36 when you had the problem?

Related document from nhtsa . gov site

Manufacturer Name : Tesla, Inc.
Submission Date : NOV 01, 2022
NHTSA Recall No. : 22V-818
Manufacturer Recall No. : SB-22-00-014
Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production :
Vehicles in production were not impacted. The condition only affected
certain 2017-2021 Model S and Model X vehicles that installed firmware
release 2022.36.

Recall Schedule :
Description of Recall Schedule : All Tesla stores and service centers will be notified about this recall on or
shortly after November 3, 2022. Owner notification letters will be mailed
in accordance with 49 C.F.R. § 577.7.
Planned Dealer Notification Date : NOV 03, 2022 - NOV 03, 2022

Upvote 0
My steering wheel is extremely stiff as well, and I have the latest software. Sometimes I get kicked out of AP for not moving the wheel without ever receiving a warning, and I wonder if it is related.

So, maybe you really did have something wrong besides software. Mine is going in at the end of the month for new half shafts and I'm going to ask them to look at the steering wheel.

Upvote 0
How can I see software version history?
Tesla service is not answering that question - which is making me even more suspicious of this whole experience.

Tesla Service says that they do not have access to software version history (see attached) is this true?

I'm sorry but I don't know as I use TeslaFI.COM to track mine (below). I got 2022.36.2 on 10/7/2022.
It seems most got 36 in mid-Oct (graph below is from your 18K "fleet" so statistically very good).

However ... I'd be very very surprised if they did not know that history about your vehicle.
It does seem like your vehicle would have already been on 36 or later tho by the time you got it repaired ...
meaning it may not have helped your situation and you really did have another problem ... not sure if that makes you feel better.

6ks9BTN.jpg

yCvFuRT.jpg

Upvote 0
So, maybe you really did have something wrong besides software. Mine is going in at the end of the month for new half shafts and I'm going to ask them to look at the steering wheel.

It does seem like your vehicle would have already been on 36 or later tho by the time you got it repaired ...
meaning it may not have helped your situation and you really did have another problem ... not sure if that makes you feel better.

Thank you both. I've never had a steering wheel issue with cars from legacy manufacturers... and that too with a 4 year old car. So when I received that email about the safety recall, it made sense. Either way, I'm rethinking any future purchase from Tesla.

Upvote 0
The hardware and software are two different things, What year is your X, and how many miles are on it? The software recall is on low-speed control, is your problem the same, only they can explain what's the problem with the steering and suspension component and why they think it needs to be replaced.

Upvote 0