Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla safety score penalizes night driving..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reducing the SS for night driving, especially if the SS is used for Tesla insurance premiums, is going to hurt so many Tesla drivers. When I take a long trip, I prefer to drive at night because there is less traffic, so it's a goo thing the SS isn't used in my State....yet.

Reactions: Nikon201068
This makes me so angry. It seems Tesla is always looking for new ways to screw their customers. I was already displeased that drivers were penalized for Aggressive Braking. They don't even consider that good drivers do this all the time when idiots pull out in front of them, suddenly change lanes, or make sudden lane changes in order to stop and turn. It seems Tesla would prefer that we just crash into these idiots. Also, safe drivers earn the Unsafe Following penalty for following at a reasonable distance. Tesla wants us to slow down and leave a huge gap which only serves to invite another vehicle to cut in front of you, which earns you a penalty, so you slow down again, and yet another idiot cuts in front of you, and this repeats endlessly. This is ridiculous! Now Tesla add yet another penalty for safe drivers; the night driving penalty. Apparently they think if you drive between 10pm and 4am you are coming home from a bar, or out road racing or partying or something. This is absolutely insane! The world does not shut down at 10pm. There are potentially hundreds of reasons why safe drivers are out at these hours. Take Uber drivers for instance. They keep the roads safe by transporting drunks. They serve the business community by transporting traveling salesmen (and women). People travel city to city and cross country, but now they have to layover at a hotel to avoid a penalty? This is a absurd, ridiculous, and downright idiocy. Elon may be a genius, but he obviously has no common sense.

Driving at night is a lot riskier than driving in the daytime. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, you're three times more likely to have a fatal accident at night than during the day.
Tesla is not being capricious or irrational here even if some people think they drive more safely at night. Like all insurance companies, they set their rates based on statistics.​

Last edited:
Insurance is a statistics game. It's not just about how you drive, but also how other drivers around you behave. Don't think of it as Tesla penalizing YOU for sudden braking, they are reducing your score because there are more drivers CAUSING sudden braking. Same with night driving. Statistically there are more fatal/serious accidents at night. Even if you are a safe driver, there is a higher chance of someone else hitting you if other drivers routinely cut you off or drive drowsy or under influence. Even if the accident is the other drivers fault, no insurance or underinsurance means Tesla may still have liability.

In theory Tesla Insurance should have more granularity in how you and drivers around you behave vs. other insurance companies that just assume everyone is average and drives X percent of the time at night.

Your safety score may be impacted by sudden braking and night trips, but does that translate to increases in your insurance rate?

The night driving factor singlehandedly increased my monthly premiums by $30. I end up doing a decent amount of night driving on my way home from work and same as others...when I road trip I prefer to do most of the driving at night when there's no traffic. Strongly considering cancelling my policy.

The new Tesla safety score now penalizes driver for driving between 10pm and 4am. This seems absurd since traffic is a lot less during those hours. Also, you are getting penalized for driving to Supe Charger at mid night where charging rate is a lot cheaper during those hours. How do people feel about the night driving penalty?
I had a 99 score until the late night driving started and now its a 90. What a load of crap. I have the night shift which that is not my fault. I leave at 11pm and im penalized daily for that. The National Highway Traffic Safety System Administration or NHTSA said the most dangerous time of the day is during the evening rush hour and the second most dangerous time is midnight to 4am. 10pm seems a tad bit ridiculous. if it doest change then I will drop the tesla insurance as it will be cheaper to go back to geico.

Night-time driving is higher risk than daytime. It's just a simple real-world adjustment.
Bullsh*t. That is a blanket statement. Sure, people on road trips getting sleepy. Drunk drivers.

But I don't drink. I get off work at midnight. Trust me, the streets are a LOT safer being mostly empty at night, rather than all the idiots in the daytime on their cell phones.

This is borderline discriminatory. Punishing me and my Tesla insurance premium, because of what they perceive to be "unsafe".

10 pm?? Are you kidding me?

• Funny
Reactions: winfield100
Bullsh*t. That is a blanket statement. Sure, people on road trips getting sleepy. Drunk drivers.

But I don't drink. I get off work at midnight. Trust me, the streets are a LOT safer being mostly empty at night, rather than all the idiots in the daytime on their cell phones.

This is borderline discriminatory. Punishing me and my Tesla insurance premium, because of what they perceive to be "unsafe".
Insurance companies and safety organizations say the statistics prove nighttime driving is less safe. Using statistics to make safety predictions is their job. It's how they make their living.

Do you have any evidence besides personal anecdotes and deeply flawed logic that proves they are all wrong? Do you think they are all idiots? Or maybe they all decided to lose money because of a personal grudge against you or against nighttime drivers in general.

Progressive:

According to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), roughly half of all fatal car accidents happen at night, despite only 25% of driving occurring after dark. That means driving at night carries roughly three times the risk of driving during the day.
GEICO:

Even Car and Driver is part of the vast conspiracy:

There is a significant risk from drunk drivers even if you don't drink. The risk, of course, is they will cause an accident involving you that you are unable to avoid. Not drinking does not make you magically immune from drunk driving. Being on the road when there are more drunk drivers increases your risk of an accident.

10 pm?? Are you kidding me?
They also discriminate against males, ppl under 25, and unmarried ppl. It’s nothing new. Just like they do the same for someone driving a Mustang vs a Pickup truck.

Reactions: C-Ball and BitJam
Scored dropped 15 points from this today. I was at 96 now at 81. $44 / month insurance increase for nothing. I drive no differently now than I did the day before, week before, month before. I'm up to $99/month now which is the same rate I can get from basically any other insurance provider. Clearly they don't want to be an insurance company anymore.

I will pay this premium 1 time only, and if it doesn't go down dramatically next month I'm cancelling. I very much dislike having a "nanny" scolding me for how I drive my car anyways so if its within a few dollars of another insurance provider Tesla Insurance can eff off. I'm dreading the day when all cars are sending this amount of telemetry data out and we will be monitored like this all the time in any vehicle.

Reactions: C-Ball
Scored dropped 15 points from this today. I was at 96 now at 81. $44 / month insurance increase for nothing. I drive no differently now than I did the day before, week before, month before. I'm up to $99/month now which is the same rate I can get from basically any other insurance provider. Clearly they don't want to be an insurance company anymore.
No, they just don't want to insure high risk drivers. Like all other insurance companies. If they didn't want to be an insurance company then they would give good rates to high risk drivers and soon go out of business. To be clear, Tesla does not necessarily think your driving got any worse, it's their assessment of your risk that changed.

I'm not saying you're a bad driver. For all I know you may be the safest driver on the face of the Earth. But all insurance companies set their rates based on risk. If you drive at night a lot or if you get a lower safety score, then statistically you are more likely to be in an accident and your rates will go up accordingly.

What you're complaining about is the reason Tesla's insurance model is brilliant. They will shed high risk drivers to other companies that have less accurate risk assessments. This is bad for the other companies and good for Tesla. At the same time Tesla can attract low risk drivers by offering lower rates which is also good for Tesla and bad for the others. The other companies will have to start raising their rates which could be the beginning of a death spiral because more good drivers will leave and only the higher risk drivers will stay.

I'm sorry that you got upset because your Tesla insurance rate rose dramatic. Being upset by that is understandable. But it's not a good excuse to throw logic out the window and claim Tesla doesn't want to be an insurance company because they set their rates according to risk.

Reactions: winfield100
No, they just don't want to insure high risk drivers. Like all other insurance companies. If they didn't want to be an insurance company then they would give good rates to high risk drivers and soon go out of business. To be clear, Tesla does not necessarily think your driving got any worse, it's their assessment of your risk that changed.

I'm not saying you're a bad driver. For all I know you may be the safest driver on the face of the Earth. But all insurance companies set their rates based on risk. If you drive at night a lot or if you get a lower safety score, then statistically you are more likely to be in an accident and your rates will go up accordingly.

What you're complaining about is the reason Tesla's insurance model is brilliant. They will shed high risk drivers to other companies that have less accurate risk assessments. This is bad for the other companies and good for Tesla. At the same time Tesla can attract low risk drivers by offering lower rates which is also good for Tesla and bad for the others. The other companies will have to start raising their rates which could be the beginning of a death spiral because more good drivers will leave and only the higher risk drivers will stay.

I'm sorry that you got upset because your Tesla insurance rate rose dramatic. Being upset by that is understandable. But it's not a good excuse to throw logic out the window and claim Tesla doesn't want to be an insurance company because they set their rates according to risk.
I see both sides. However, this driving after 10pm being penalized so drastically and over weighted is absurd.

The number 1 highest risk time for driving is during rush hour in the afternoon. STATISTICALLY.

So by your logic, they should raise the rates for anyone who drives at that time. But instead, the family of four who goes to a 8:30 pm movie on a Saturday night gets penalized for driving home at 10:30pm.

It is asinine. Shame on Tesla. I'm going back to state farm, and finally taking corners the way this car was built to take them, without being scrutinized and financially punished for it.

Yes, shame on Tesla for this money grab move! It's bad enough my Tesla insurance premiums seem to increase almost monthly for no reason, now the added penalty for night driving increases things even more. And here's something to think about for anyone that thinks this isn't big deal. Will the SS night hours adjust for when it gets darker earlier in winter? Because then this means most people driving home from work will be driving at night and their premiums will go up.

And here's another thing to think about, what if because of this move by Tesla that the auto insurance industry raises premiums if you get in an accident at night, no matter who was at fault. All of this totally is asinine!

Tesla is just finding excuses to grab more money.
Like Night driving (10p - 4a), unbuckled driving, and excessive speeding.
10pm to 4am is ridiculous.
IMG_7050.jpeg