Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
one big problem I noticed was a severe lack of understanding of what the problem tesla is facing. the feeling up there is that Tesla has an advantage over the dealerships and that this regulation will end that advantage, they want Tesla to sell through an independent dealer. I tried to educate this aide but I don't know how well I did.
Tesla needs to get their message out, and the time for that is almost past.
regardless of what you may feel about the political game, part of being in business is knowing how to play that game.

Hold up a second. Laying all the responsibility at Tesla's feet is entirely unfair. As a paid representative of the people, it is the job of that aide, that senator, that legislator, that (fill in government job title of choice) to educate themselves on the topic at hand BEFORE deciding on or voting for or supporting or pushing through a bill. Tesla doesn't have the resources to educate every lazy, I'm-too-busy-to-do-my-job, aide. When we also consider the element of 'sneakery' (note that has nothing to do with Nike, Rebok, Champion, Adidas, Puma etc...) I'd say this isn't really about not knowing/not understanding what's going on.

Adding: Tesla's blog clearly states they've been 'working with' the Governor's office for an extended period of time. So any claim out of that office of not knowing or understanding Tesla's position and why is inexcusable.

Last edited:
Just left recorded message at Gov. Christie's office phone in opposition of DMV plans. 609- 777-2500............................. give 'em a call!!!

Also you can call 609-292-6000 and simply say " I am opposed to PRN 2013-138"

Last edited:
Tesla Motors enthusiasts, "It's time for some traffic delays!" - Gov. Chris Christie & Trusted Staff.

Block all roads into the state capital! Delay the meeting for all eternity! Feed them there own medicine!! Please engage the parking brake on the vehicle and allow the car to run out of battery so no one tow truck can move the vehicle! This is what the Model S was designed for! - being the most amazing car ever, but also to create one of the words most expensive baracades ever designed by man!

And just maybe Christie will give up after being in traffic for over 3+ hours because of his own hunger.

Last edited by a moderator:
"My grandson works for a dealership as a saleman - these are some of the words he picked up in working for the dealership and the customers - "they pounded the customer", "they loaded the customer up on the back end (finance) telling them they saved $20, while in fact it cost them thousands", "they slammed them on their trade in", "these people were lay downs because the dealership could tell them anything and they believed it" - this is what the newbees, the green peas are taught to do when dealing with their customers - yep, we certainly want to keep that model of doing business in place - one example - lady buys a used car and is handed the keys and remote, next day comes back and says remote doesn't work, she is told "did nayone tell you the remote worked or did you just assume it" - sorry, we are not doing anything for you - sad but true -"

From SA - link

- - - Updated - - -

That's it for me - I am banning dealers for the rest of my life. If I can't buy a Tesla, I will buy an used car off of craigslist or some other community portal. Not going to feed a single dollar to the dealers!

Just left recorded message at Gov. Christie's office phone in opposition of DMV plans. 609- 777-2500............................. give 'em a call!!!

Also you can call 609-292-6000 and simply say " I am opposed to PRN 2013-138"

Did that - very nice lady answered the phone. I said I am opposed to PRN 2013-138, and she said she would register my opposition. Thanks for the easy and great suggestion!

Hold up a second. Laying all the responsibility at Tesla's feet is entirely unfair. As a paid representative of the people, it is the job of that aide, that senator, that legislator, that (fill in government job title of choice) to educate themselves on the topic at hand BEFORE deciding on or voting for or supporting or pushing through a bill. Tesla doesn't have the resources to educate every lazy, I'm-too-busy-to-do-my-job, aide. When we also consider the element of 'sneakery' (note that has nothing to do with Nike, Rebok, Champion, Adidas, Puma etc...) I'd say this isn't really about not knowing/not understanding what's going on.

Adding: Tesla's blog clearly states they've been 'working with' the Governor's office for an extended period of time. So any claim out of that office of not knowing or understanding Tesla's position and why is inexcusable.
It appears that you are quite naive about the way things work in government. I am not going to provide you with a primer, let it suffice to say is that it is the staff that does all the leg work and if the staff is ignorant or unfriendly to your cause your cause is DOOMED. that said, it is incumbent on TESLA to learn how to navigate the political systems, or they need to hire people who do know how the game is played.
YMMV

- - - Updated - - -

This cuts across party lines and is all about campaign dollars. Seems very simple but still sad. It either takes enough public anger, enough PAC contributions or both to change things.
this is one of the most insightful comments posted

Many years ago my brother as a teenager had a summer job as a gopher in the service department of a car dealership. The service manager ordered him to swing a sledgehammer and bend a perfectly good driveshaft. He refused and was fired. A mechanic performed the dirty deed instead.

I emailed our Gov's office early a.m.; also called and spoke w/ one of his aides concerning this issue. Called my Senator's office - they searched and knew nothing of the bill, but said this may be something involving DMV that doesn't need to be presented via the regular legislative process - how corrupt. Wish I could make it at 2pm, but cannot.

Gov Christie's Office: (609) 777-2500 - best method, please take a minute to call!

Email via website: http://www.state.nj.us/governor/contact/

thanks for the phone number rjcbox. I just called the governor's office. Told them this defies free market capitalism, and raises red flags about the methods the Governor, who I otherwise like, uses to achieve his goals.

One of those in the audience should claim he's from XYZ Autos in __ Township, and demand that in return for all the thousands of dollars in contributions he and his cohorts pay year after year, they bettuh get saddusfaction or he'n his buddies is gonna bust some kneecaps.

And perform it in great Joisey fashion.... ;)

It appears that you are quite naive about the way things work in government. I am not going to provide you with a primer, let it suffice to say is that it is the staff that does all the leg work and if the staff is ignorant or unfriendly to your cause your cause is DOOMED. that said, it is incumbent on TESLA to learn how to navigate the political systems, or they need to hire people who do know how the game is played.
YMMV

Certainly you would agree, with your experience, that staff (along with the people they serve) can be very good at 'playing dumb' when they don't want to engage.

They know perfectly well what the issues on the table are. Laying this on Tesla is a bit naive after the discussions and work that has gone in.

I am not naive about how things work in government and fully understand the importance of keeping on the good side. I am also well aware that a time comes when it is time to push back. It appear that time is now. When the people you are working with decide it is more important to serve another master, then it is time to peel back the curtain and make it clear to everyone exactly what is going on.