Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who are the four (five? - hard to tell from the liveblog photo) members of the Commission and how do they obtain their position...and get booted from it?

On edit: Wiki is your friend, as in: New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and from that, one learns that the Commission's Mission Statement is: "To promote motor vehicle safety for our citizens by delivering secure, effective and professional motor vehicle services, and to achieve public trust and confidence in the quality and integrity of those services." So ain't that nice.

Last edited:
Certainly you would agree, with your experience, that staff (along with the people they serve) can be very good at 'playing dumb' when they don't want to engage.

maybe for the general public this is true, however I've been involved at many levels in NJ politics for decades and the staffer I spoke with is a personal friend, so in this case your analysis is off base.

They know perfectly well what the issues on the table are. Laying this on Tesla is a bit naive after the discussions and work that has gone in.
you are giving the legislators and their staffs way too much credit, they only know what they are told, and right now the dealer association has their ears and their ears are full their side of the story.
I am not naive about how things work in government and fully understand the importance of keeping on the good side. I am also well aware that a time comes when it is time to push back. It appear that time is now. When the people you are working with decide it is more important to serve another master, then it is time to peel back the curtain and make it clear to everyone exactly what is going on.
this has little to do with being on anyone's "good side" it has to do with engaging the people in power, something that appears that tesla has missed the boat on.
I don't know how long you've operated in trenton but having little to no presence there is a bad place to come from behind when the SHTF like it is now for tesla.
there is nothing going on here that is not business as usual, the NJ dealers have done their homework and tesla hasn't.

Just left recorded message at Gov. Christie's office phone in opposition of DMV plans. 609- 777-2500............................. give 'em a call!!!

Also you can call 609-292-6000 and simply say " I am opposed to PRN 2013-138"

I've left an important meeting to voice my opposition to the Gov's office and post. Now back to my meeting and I wish I could be there in person but a flight from Seattle might be too long ;) Fight the good fight!!!

Sad news below. It looks like we will need to go the legislative route in NJ. May be some pro-Tesla/pro-manufacturer owned store piece of legislation?

From Transport Evolved Live Blog: New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission Votes on Anti-Tesla Rules

11/03/2014 14:31 by Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

Drats. Apirl 1, You won't be able to buy a Tesla in New Jersey. We're sad. :(

11/03/2014 14:30

We're on, the final adoption has been read out and has been approved. April 1st, we here will be living in an Anti-Tesla state.
What a mistake that is bringing shame on the MVC and the dealers.