Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frankly he should have already done that by now.

Today's events and the other such ones around the nation are one HELLUVA distraction for Tesla. I know there are any number of highly qualified legal eagles both on this forum and throughout the Tesla-owning community. To them: It is time to put YOUR​ priorities in order. Enough said.

Or demand the rules be changed. Accepting that we have to 'play by the rules' means that things will never change. I will not be one of those people.
let me know how well that works out for you, those of us who are in the world of reality don't bother with trying to change things, the straightest path to success is understanding an working the system.

now the biggest issue I have is if they cannot hit the promised date of 3/31, where will I pick up my Tesla?

This is incredibly sad. The commission might as well have stamped a giant FU finger as their response to each Tesla comment.

Per the live blog, the motion was approved. As of 4/1, you can't buy a Tesla in NJ (directly).

It seems this was over before it started. It was approved without even allowing for public comment from the dozen folks who signed up to speak. Sad.

Agree. You have to play within the rules but that doesn't mean you can't also fight to change them at the same time if they are wrong.

The car dealers like the way things are, they do very little and are guaranteed lots of money from the manufacturers for warranty service work.

They don't like Tesla for multiple reasons, they are not getting a cut of the sales, and, there is essentially no service "cash cow" to milk. Tesla is a threat to their very existence. Guess what? You are no longer needed dealers, ride off into the sunset, move along now.

Perhaps Elon should walk into the meeting and hand each of the commissioners a check for $100K, and say, "does this buy me your vote?" Make sure you smile for the cameras...
really??? and then you wonder why it is hard to be taken seriously

- - - Updated - - -

Well, time to move efforts to the Legislature to overturn this regulation.
how refreshing, someone who has a grasp of how things work

It seems this was over before it started. It was approved without even allowing for public comment from the dozen folks who signed up to speak. Sad.
welcome to that wacky world of NJ politics, you should have seen the mess when the legislature held committee meetings that barred public comment and then moved through some unconstitutional firearms regulations recently.

They don't like Tesla for multiple reasons, they are not getting a cut of the sales, and, there is essentially no service "cash cow" to milk. Tesla is a threat to their very existence. Guess what? You are no longer needed dealers, ride off into the sunset, move along now.

I just don't buy this (as I've said elsewhere). If this move was to force Tesla into a traditional dealership model, why couldn't Tesla just acquiesce and then contractually obligate all licensed dealers to sell at the same price and have a flat service rate for example? Is the end goal just to have Tesla be bound to franchising out their dealerships? We've already seen that Teslas aren't "free" to maintain, so it's not like there's NO money in service.

It appears that you are quite naive about the way things work in government. I am not going to provide you with a primer, let it suffice to say is that it is the staff that does all the leg work and if the staff is ignorant or unfriendly to your cause your cause is DOOMED. that said, it is incumbent on TESLA to learn how to navigate the political systems, or they need to hire people who do know how the game is played.
YMMV

Perhaps one needs to understand how Elon Musk operates. Currently Tesla Motors is supply constrained, not demand constrained. Right now it does not need New Jersey. The company does not advertise, but it benefits from all the media attention it gets from attempts by dealership lobbies to get state governments to thwart interstate commerce and free competitive enterprise. Many people are still unaware of Tesla Motors or its cars. I was a year ago before I bought my shares. I expect that eventually the federal courts will invoke the Constitution's interstate commerce clause and sweep away state requirements for middlemen. That may be about the same time that production is ramped up and almost everyone has become aware of Tesla Motors and its cars. Elon appears to be the one who is writing and acting out a brilliant script.

NJ action to block Tesla sales today 2pm - Can you attend?

Tesla could do this but then they'd set a precedent that other states could point to and shut down their entire preferred sales model. Granted other state laws don't directly apply but they could be used as examples that Tesla has no problems selling through a dealership model. Tesla seems to not want this.

I just don't buy this (as I've said elsewhere). If this move was to force Tesla into a traditional dealership model, why couldn't Tesla just acquiesce and then contractually obligate all licensed dealers to sell at the same price and have a flat service rate for example? Is the end goal just to have Tesla be bound to franchising out their dealerships? We've already seen that Teslas aren't "free" to maintain, so it's not like there's NO money in service.

I think they are less afraid of Tesla directly and more afraid of the that other manufactures will do the direct sale model as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like NJ residents will just have to spend their money in other states now? Screw Christie.

He doesn't care anyway. He can't run again and is looking at the national stage.

I think they are less afraid of Tesla directly and more afraid of the that other manufactures will do the direct sale model as well.

That's exactly it. Even if Tesla sells 500,000 cars a year at some point in the future that is only about 3% of new car sales. If GM and Ford work together and try to change the sales model then their business is greatly harmed.

They do not intend to make money from service which is why Tesla aims to run their service centers at break even. Their model is to make a profit on the sale of the car, thats it.