Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they are less afraid of Tesla directly and more afraid of the that other manufactures will do the direct sale model as well.

Probably right, but am I incorrect in thinking that the "rules" currently are that a manufacturer can't compete with a franchise? i.e. GM can't open a dealer to compete with a franchise in the same area? If so, the current auto makers would have to first kill off all franchises THEN start their own stores. Can't see that NOT affecting their business.

Aside from Saturn, didn't GM try this not too long ago with Chevy in California?

It appears that you are quite naive about the way things work in government. I am not going to provide you with a primer, let it suffice to say is that it is the staff that does all the leg work and if the staff is ignorant or unfriendly to your cause your cause is DOOMED. that said, it is incumbent on TESLA to learn how to navigate the political systems, or they need to hire people who do know how the game is played.
YMMV

I'm not naive at all, I simply don't care to pass the buck onto someone else when clearly the responsibility lies with all. A change of attitude and a raising of standards, expectations, morals and ethics from ourselves and those who represent us does more for mankind than 'navigating the political systems and 'knowing how the game is played', which is just the polite way of saying paying for the honor of being ******* up the ***.

Tesla chooses to play the game differently and I support that.

Perhaps one needs to understand how Elon Musk operates. .
perhaps the powers that be in NJ really don't give a flying fig about how elon operates, it is incumbent upon elon to learn how to play with others or he will be running into problems like this in the future.
now that NJ has run him out how far behind do you think the rest of the states dealer associations will be.
it's called poor gamesmanship

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not naive at all, I simply don't care to pass the buck onto someone else when clearly the responsibility lies with all. A change of attitude and a raising of standards, expectations, morals and ethics from ourselves and those who represent us does more for mankind than 'navigating the political systems and 'knowing how the game is played', which is just the polite way of saying paying for the honor of being ******* up the ***.

Tesla chooses to play the game differently and I support that.
support it all you care to, at the end of this day tesla cannot sell cars in NJ after 4/1.

NJ action to block Tesla sales today 2pm - Can you attend?

Probably right, but am I incorrect in thinking that the "rules" currently are that a manufacturer can't compete with a franchise? i.e. GM can't open a dealer to compete with a franchise in the same area? If so, the current auto makers would have to first kill off all franchises THEN start their own stores. Can't see that NOT affecting their business.

Aside from Saturn, didn't GM try this not too long ago with Chevy in California?

You are right. Dealers have spent decades getting laws passed that wouldn't allow GM or Ford to do that. In states like Texas they couldn't even open up a factory store 800 miles from the nearest dealership. GM, Ford and Tesla would likely have to work to outlaw the model on a national level then GM could go back to the existing dealerships to offer to buy them out at a discounted rate. This would be an epic battle with lots of money in play.

perhaps the powers that be in NJ really don't give a flying fig about how elon operates, it is incumbent upon elon to learn how to play with others or he will be running into problems like this in the future.
now that NJ has run him out how far behind do you think the rest of the states dealer associations will be.
it's called poor gamesmanship

Apparently you did not read past my first sentence.

Apparently you did not read past my first sentence.
I did and I cast it aside, you might be right about the way cars are sold is unconstitutional and even if elon began a challenge to the laws that prohibit direct sales by auto manufacturers it could be many years before the issue could work it's way to the supreme court. a lot can happen along the way, if this ruling takes hold and more states adopt similar regulations the future of elon's model could be in trouble.
right now I believe the dealers are 3-0, winning in TX, SC and now NJ.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s fake pretend democracy that scares me.

it is way off topic but our swedish friend should be made aware that the US is not a true democracy nor has it ever been one.

I did and I cast it aside, you might be right about the way cars are sold is unconstitutional and even if elon began a challenge to the laws that prohibit direct sales by auto manufacturers it could be many years before the issue could work it's way to the supreme court. a lot can happen along the way, if this ruling takes hold and more states adopt similar regulations the future of elon's model could be in trouble.
right now I believe the dealers are 3-0, winning in TX, SC and now NJ.

Not so about the 3-0
Washington dealers attempted this ban also but a provision was added to permit Tesla to add stores and continue as they had. This makes it difficult for new EV manufacturers to attempt the same model, but Tesla won that fight.

I am in NJ.I have reserved the White S85 with all the bells and whistles and I am expecting delivery in May..

Anyone know,
Will I have to pay Sales Tax 7% Or More (If they decide to deliver in NY) upfront OR Does it stay same (i.e. No Sales tax since its an EV) and I will still pick the car up from Service Center?

Not so about the 3-0
Washington dealers attempted this ban also but a provision was added to permit Tesla to add stores and continue as they had. This makes it difficult for new EV manufacturers to attempt the same model, but Tesla won that fight.
thank you for bringing this to my attention because I was unaware of it and so I stand corrected, please correct the scoresheet to read dealers 3 tesla 1.

I'm envisioning you pounding your chest. It's not a pretty picture and frankly, you look silly. This sort of law doesn't stop Texans from buying and owning Teslas, it most suredly won't stop those in New Jersey either. The game, as you like to refer to it, is only at player introductions where all are patting each other on the butt. There's still a lot of time left on the scoreboard.

I picked mine up in PA since the closest service center to me is in Norristown. In fact the closest store to me is in King of Prussia, so at least in South Jersey this will probably have minimal impact to the actual process.

- - - Updated - - -

I am in NJ.I have reserved the White S85 with all the bells and whistles and I am expecting delivery in May..

Anyone know,
Will I have to pay Sales Tax 7% Or More (If they decide to deliver in NY) upfront OR Does it stay same (i.e. No Sales tax since its an EV) and I will still pick the car up from Service Center?

You will not, you pay tax for the state it is registered in.