TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Sales comp?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Pollux, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pollux

Pollux Active Member

Anyone have any ideas as to salary band(s), commission and/or bonus for Tesla sales staff?

I confess to sudden curiosity because I just finished reading a thread about poor sales experience(s) at the Highland Park showroom in Chicago, IL. The thread, of course, was also replete with stories about good experiences both there and elsewhere, plus references to turnover in sales staff, plus references to lack of knowledgeability.

I have interacted with sales staff at Natick and Dedham in MA, at Bethesda in MD, at the DC showroom, and at Tyson's Corner in VA. All have been extremely kind and pleasant and generally pretty knowledgeable. I do believe I've observed a transition since I first bought in '13 from a college kid through what seems like today a heavier presence of "adults" with previous auto sales backgrounds. Really, *really* not sure that that's an improvement; there's a lot to be said for youthful enthusiasm completely untempered by years of training in how to "read" the customer and how to "always be closing".

I also think that the sales staff have moved from no commissions to earning commissions over the last 4 years, but am not confident I have that straight.

And I'm embarrassed to realize that I've never before stopped to consider what the actual base salary compensation might be for the sales staff, along with bonus and/or commission.

Anybody have data?

Thanks,
    Alan

P.S. FWIW, I'm in the Tesla-service-is-well-oiled-by-unicorn-tears camp. And my experiences of Tesla sales are similar. They've earned a ton of loyalty from me, twice now, when during the sales experience we've reviewed the options on the car and they've given me feedback. Heck, my first Tesla OA in '13 pointed out that I didn't really need the "plus" performance package... I was stunned. I had never before encountered this kind of honesty in the car sales process. When I got my wits back, I explained to the kid what "mid-life crisis" means, which in my case that year turned out to be, "every goddamned checkbox option on the ordering menu". (He also was knowledgeable about the benefits of the "plus" package, too.) His honesty earned my trust.

• Like x 2