Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sales rep said MY with 4680 will NOT have longer range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't know that, because you don't know where the minerals come from. Not to mention formal guidance hasn't been released yet. We won't know for sure until the end of the year. (I would say it is fairly safe to say that the Model Y will qualify for $3,750.)
you make a good point. I have changed my view. I will tell anyone who asks me that currenty No tesla cars will be eligible since we do not know where the. minerals are coming from. no point in speculating what tesla might or might not do in future.

Today is three weeks since I took delivery of my Model Y on September 19th.
I love it, no complaints, and I don't know what battery is in it and don't care,
I've driven a total of 593 miles, used 215 kWh and spent $39 in electricity cost.
The app notified me of an available update and afterwards when I use my directional signal a camera view of the intersection shows up in the upper left corner of the screen.
I also now get a soft ding when a traffic light turns green from red, and can view my tire pressure on the app in my phone.
I am so friggin happy!

Attachments

• Tesla PSI IMG_1254.jpg
    Tesla PSI IMG_1254.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 99
Today is three weeks since I took delivery of my Model Y on September 19th.
I love it, no complaints, and I don't know what battery is in it and don't care,
I've driven a total of 593 miles, used 215 kWh and spent $39 in electricity cost.
The app notified me of an available update and afterwards when I use my directional signal a camera view of the intersection shows up in the upper left corner of the screen.
I also now get a soft ding when a traffic light turns green from red, and can view my tire pressure on the app in my phone.
I am so friggin happy!
BTW, you can re-locate where that 'blind spot' camera view shows up on your display screen.

Reactions: howardnj
Smaller batteries = higher performance.

4680 is a cost savings play.

I'd qualify that with for-a-given-volume and for-a-given-chemistry.

Smaller cells are a pain in the butt to build and connect all together, however they're easier to cool (more surface area) and you have more of them so in general yes you can pump more total current in/out of a given mass of small cells vs equal mass of big ones. This is why the Plaids are running 2-generations-back thin little 18650 cells.

However nothing is stopping you from making a really big large-cell pack and/or connecting it in series to get really high voltages and produce whatever performance you like. Ugly as it is, the EV Hummer does produce absurd power levels by using an equally absurd triple-size battery pack.

And yes, the real goal of 4860 is cost savings - fewer cells to make, fewer connections, cells serve as structure for the car so fewer frame parts, less assembly and (someday) roughly equal performance.

Actually, there ARE MYLR being made with 4680 batteries. They're called MY-AWD.
They just aren't being sold to the general public.
Employees, and possibly some Rental / Fleet buyers, are getting them.

But there's no real volume to these models.
They appear to be test mules to validate production processes and battery performsnce.
And these 4680 model Ys have lower range…something like 280 miles.

The jury is still out on if the 4680 packs are software limited or not.
The teardown from Munro showed that there seemed to suggest a similar capacity to the 2170 pack but there were still a lot of questions.
But the eventual purpose of the structural pack and associated castings is all about reducing cost and ease of manufacturing.

The real world range tests so far seem to indicate very similar results to the early Model Y with the 74kwh pack. Of course, it really had a little less than 70kwh usable. The stated range difference seems to be exaggerating the difference by a little bit, it should probably be rated closer to 300 miles.

Its still significant compared to the current Y LR, of course.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
We are leasing our current MY LR (our first Tesla, now have a M3 SR as well, bought outright). Leased the MY as we weren't sure we'd like the vehicle (all those reports of poor quality made us nervous~turned out to be unfounded in our experience). Anyway the lease is up Nov 2023. What I would LIKE is a +350 mile MY using 4680 batteries. Not at all sure that's a realistic hope. If a LFP battery model is offered by Tesla I'd likely give it a long hard look instead of the LR version using the standard batteries.

All speculation for the moment.

Rich

We are leasing our current MY LR (our first Tesla, now have a M3 SR as well, bought outright). Leased the MY as we weren't sure we'd like the vehicle (all those reports of poor quality made us nervous~turned out to be unfounded in our experience). Anyway the lease is up Nov 2023. What I would LIKE is a +350 mile MY using 4680 batteries. Not at all sure that's a realistic hope. If a LFP battery model is offered by Tesla I'd likely give it a long hard look instead of the LR version using the standard batteries.

All speculation for the moment.

Rich

LFP chemistry is so far only used in standard-range Teslas, since it is inherently less energy dense. LFP is also typically packaged in pouch cells, so asking for a 4680 LFP 350+ mile range dream-mobile feels unrealistic

The most obvious use for the stored packs would be the coming launch of the Cyber Truck
Only if the CT is designed to use the same packs as MY.
All the production cradles they're in at GigaTexas are labelled YSB - Model Y Structural Battery.

So if the CT is designed around that same structure, then yes.
That could made sense, but there's no internet 'leak' or Elon tweet to that effect.

Only if the CT is designed to use the same packs as MY.
All the production cradles they're in at GigaTexas are labelled YSB - Model Y Structural Battery.

So if the CT is designed around that same structure, then yes.
That could made sense, but there's no internet 'leak' or Elon tweet to that effect.

Good points. The rumors of CT pack are thin, and the claimed ranges don't add much color. But one could speculate that the single-motor CT with "250 mile range" would fit on a single 75 KWh pack, and the 500-mile-range tri-motor model would rationally need a pair of such packs, probably stacked on top each other since expanding the pack horizontally doesn't seem reasonable...

Or it could be completely different pack design. Never can tell with Tesla.