Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Saltines"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's certainly a thought.

Plenty of other products have managed it in their field. Sellotape (Scotch Tape for the US), Hoover, Bubble Wrap, Chapstick... and a few you might not realise such as Jet Ski, Jacuzzi, Rollerblades, Taser, Styrofoam, Frisbee and Velcro.

Also did you know that Hasbro owns Ouija Board? Not sure on how kid-friendly that IP is.

I wonder if in a few decades the electric cars of all manufacturers will be referred to as "Teslas" the same way most salted crackers became "saltines"?

I get the analogy, but I dont think "saltines" is a good nominee for this type of thing. No one I know here in California says "go buy some saltines" when talking about crackers... we say "crackers". I get that sometimes these things are regionalized, but there are definitely some of these that are likely national.

I was having a conversation with my wife about these type of brands, and ended up looking it up. They are called "generic trademarks"
Generic trademark - Wikipedia

Things like

Band-Aids
Aspirin (used to be a brand name)
Vasiline
Escalators
Kleenex
Velcro

Back to thread topic, since cars tend to be heavily identified, I am having trouble thinking of any car make or model that has become generalized in the way that "Band-Aid" or "Velcro" is. I can think of some cars where the model is more identified with the car than the make, like "Mustang" "911" "3-Series" "Camry" "Accord" "S-Class"

Anyone that found their way online and is reading those names above likely got a picture of specific models in their head reading those names, and knows who makes each one. I dont think "Tesla" will become generic for "EV" though. I do think that "Tesla" will become generic for ANY tesla, and the specific models will not matter as much. This has already happened. This already exists with other brands, as most people see "A BMW" when they see one, unless they are into cars.

What will happen, and continue to happen, is any other car manufacturer who is making EVs will have their car compared to "Teslas".

Well, there's the Edsel. To quote from that page, "The very name "Edsel" became a popular symbol for a commercial failure." So, yeah, that's an example. :oops:

I opened this thread expecting to see actual saltines with Tesla logos on them. They could have been made with the tears of all of our perpetual complainers on here (myself included). :)

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I joked some time ago that: These days when we spot a Tesla on the road we point and say "Look, another Tesla."
Maybe 10 years from now, we will be sitting in rocking chairs on the porch and point and say, "Look !! A Toyota Camry, ahh, remember when we used to see those everyday? Now its swarms of Teslas everywhere".

I don't see it becoming generic (like Hovercraft, adding another to the list above).

At the moment I often hear people saying Tesla is the Apple of car brands, it's only a matter of time before I hear people saying another company is the Tesla of their market. Or like Rolls Royce...where people use it to declare it's the top of the field they're in. eg "Dyson is the Rolls-Royce of Hoovers" :D

Reactions: jjrandorin