Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 'Salvage/Rebuilt' title dissapointment!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

So I want to share my experience with owning, now, two salvage/rebuilt title Tesla Model S's.

1st Tesla -- Found a great deal on CL on a 2014 Model S 60 with AP1 etc. It was bought in California as a salvage title car and bought to AZ where it passed state inspections and given a rebuilt-salvage title. Car was certified through Tempe Tesla and the warranty was reinstated. It has new car warranty set to expire towards the end of this year and battery/DU warranty expiring sometime in 2022. I took the car into Tempe Tesla about 3 weeks ago and UNDER WARRANTY, they replaced the entire driveunit, front and rear wheel bearings/hubs, front control arm/tierod, and even secured an AC line. I paid $0.00 and everything was covered under warranty. They treated me exceptionally and because of the excellent coverage, even with a 'salvaged' Tesla, I decide to look for another one with a bigger battery pack, and a little faster.

I found a nice 2013 P85 in my preferred color and configuration for a steal of a price in San Diego. Drove out to see it and loved it. We called Tesla service and verified battery/driveunit warranty on the car. They said it expires sometime in 2021. Great, even though it didn't have bumper to bumper, I was willing to take the risk. Drove it home all the way to AZ, used multiple superchargers and even got to update the cars software when I got home.

Here is where things get interesting. One of the hub bearings in the front were making some noise on my way back so I decide to call Tesla of Tempe and schedule a time to transfer ownership and service/inspect the hub bearing. I give them the VIN and they say its a salvaged vehicle and that they cannot touch it, and also tell me the car has no warranty on it.

So I call the general service number and they once again, assure me the car has an active warranty on the battery and drive train. I tell him what the service center told me and he comes back to tell me the warranty will be good to use after you get the car inspected.

Then I talk to Tempe Tesla again, where the gentleman says the car will never have warranty now after it's been salvaged. He said that Tesla voids all warranty after a car is salvaged. Well I just had a bunch of warranty work done on my Tesla about 3 weeks ago. He said that might of been a mistake?

ALL IN ALL, what the hell is going on? I definitely don't want to own a P85 with no warranty on the battery or driveunit. Those are expensive components. I was told the car had active warranty but the service centers tell me otherwise. Finally what makes all this even more interesting is that TESLA, came out to the previous owners home to replace the 12V battery, for which I have the invoice for. So if they "CAN'T" touch or service a salvaged Tesla, why did they go to his home and goodwill a 12V battery replacement?

None of this makes sense, who should I get in touch with to help understand this situation better. Because it doesn't make sense and is pretty disappointing. Also before you guy's say I shouldn't have bought a salvaged Tesla, remember that I had an excellent experience with my previous Tesla which was also salvaged....

I've never heard of Tesla reinstating the warranty on a salvage car. You can get it re-certified, but that only opens it up for you to be able to take it to Tesla and pay for repairs.

My guess is that something didn't get flagged properly on your first car.

By the way the hub bearings wouldn't be covered under the batter/drive unit warranty. (There is no drive train warranty on a Tesla.)

I've never heard of Tesla reinstating the warranty on a salvage car. You can get it re-certified, but that only opens it up for you to be able to take it to Tesla and pay for repairs.

My guess is that something didn't get flagged properly on your first car.

By the way the hub bearings wouldn't be covered under the batter/drive unit warranty. (There is no drive train warranty on a Tesla.)

Right that's what another service center told me, that they must of overlooked the 'salvaged' title status of my 2014 MS that they spent a week replacing everything on.

If that is the case, that is hilarious. Also thanks for the clarification!

Well it says right in the warranty:

Warranty Void.png

Do you have anything in writing stating that getting a vehicle recertified unvoids the warranty?

Was your new P85 recertified? (It doesn't sound like it was or they would have at least looked at it an given you a quote.)

Well it says right in the warranty:

View attachment 291301

Do you have anything in writing stating that getting a vehicle recertified unvoids the warranty?

Was your new P85 recertified? (It doesn't sound like it was or they would have at least looked at it an given you a quote.)

I do not. But I don't understand why they tell me I have active warranties on the car. Plus why did they come replace the 12V battery at no cost in SD? Also I don't think it was recertified. I initially thought it was as I read online that recertifying it returns supercharging and updating functions to normal. I guess not.

Buy CPO, Tesla holds all the keys for repairs. Once it dealt a salvage title you wont be able to charge at supercharger stations

You wont be able to buy parts from them directly either, to me this is a huge deal breaker.

I drove it home from San Diego and charged at the superchargers... I hope they don't disable it via update. Going to have to be careful now.

It sounds like you bought the P85 from a private individual and not a salvage/wholesale place and that the recording of the salvage title had not yet "caught up" with the car. Is that correct? If it is, the car was likely not classified as totaled (salvage) at the time you purchased the car in SD and drove it to AZ. Hence the reason for the 12 volt battery being replaced by Tesla and the superchargers working. Now the title (either the original CA title or the AZ title you get for registering the car in AZ) indicates it is a salvage vehicle and thus no warranty and likely no supercharger access.

If superchargers are still operational on the car you may wish to consider pulling the sim from the MCU to prevent Tesla's disabling if this feature.

I drove it home from San Diego and charged at the superchargers... I hope they don't disable it via update. Going to have to be careful now.

You got lucky with your S60. Technically Tesla could even come after you for the cost of those "warranty' repairs, but I'm not sure that's worth it for them (I hope not for your sake). Don't expect that will continue. Tesla is pretty good about blacklisting cars. It might be too late to keep it on the down low. Re-certifying the car just allows access to Superchargers and service (paid). Nothing will bring back the new car warranty once it is rescinded.

• Informative
Reactions: ragedogg69 and GSP
They will eventually have to sell us parts. Or, we will buy them from the guys who buy all the wreaked ones. For the life of me dont understand why Elon is acting this way? I know an S thats been in body shop for a year. They wont ship the parts to the approved body shop. Their Karma is gone in this area.

They will eventually have to sell us parts. Or, we will buy them from the guys who buy all the wreaked ones. For the life of me dont understand why Elon is acting this way? I know an S thats been in body shop for a year. They wont ship the parts to the approved body shop. Their Karma is gone in this area.

Yes, I do not agree as to why their policy is this way for salvaged/rebuilt vehicles. Voiding the warranty is fine, since almost every other car maker does too, but discontinuing support on the vehicle until you pay nearly 3K in inspection fees? and disabling things like updates?

You can just post. You don't have to disagree disagreeably. I'm pretty sure he looked at recertification with Tesla.
I just read his thread in its entirety this weekend. I know he got safety and state certification, but I do not recall any mention certification with tesla though? My 2 cents.

And his supercharging has worked without issue, but tesla is well aware he has a salvage VIN/car based upon his interactions with tesla about his car.

I’ve created one hell of an online presence and Tesla is definitely listening. They have actually taken action on a video about prior salvage safety that I made last week.

I’m slowly moving the needle in the right direction and Tesla is changing a few things here and there when it comes to prior salvage cars (however these things may not have propagated to all service centers as yet). I mentioned Tesla disabling autopilot for a rebuilt car and their recert fees in my last video and I have plenty of more stories of Tesla’s odd and borderline shady practices to share, but their ears have definitely peeled up.

I’ve been super busy with my raggedy YouTube channel so if you want to chat just pm me and I’ll get the notification as I don’t come here much.

P.S. I’ve never set foot in a service center besides to try to pay Elon musk 3$ for my supercharger idling fees. The car is off the grid and I see no benefit to recertification as I can service the car myself (including battery and motor)

All the best!