Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 'Salvage/Rebuilt' title dissapointment!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P.S. I’ve never set foot in a service center besides to try to pay Elon musk 3$ for my supercharger idling fees. The car is off the grid and I see no benefit to recertification as I can service the car myself (including battery and motor)

All the best!

...you say above you got a TON of free work done in a service center on one of the salvaged Tesla

The way I understand it is:

He certified Delores with the state not Tesla, Tesla says it is unsupported still, but he could supercharge without having anyone hack the car.

no if you watched all his youtube video's he clearly stated one of the donner cars used to repair somehow missed the vin deactivation, hence why on the super charging network it worked.

But even then when he was going to attempt it, it he was worried that it wouldn't work.

HE states his facts here:

So technically yes it is HACKED, because its a mix of 2 cars.
But again he also states why he doesnt recommend others doing it, because there is a potential for the li-ion battery to explode when fast charging like that.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
no if you watched all his youtube video's he clearly stated one of the donner cars used to repair somehow missed the vin deactivation, hence why on the super charging network it worked.

But even then when he was going to attempt it, it he was worried that it wouldn't work.

HE states his facts here:

So technically yes it is HACKED, because its a mix of 2 cars.
But again he also states why he doesnt recommend others doing it, because there is a potential for the li-ion battery to explode when fast charging like that.

yeah watch all his videos, even in the one you posted his conclusion at 21:28 is something like "wow its great this car supercharges, it's worth so much more now". and in at least two following videos he supercharges it again when he needed to for a trip.

and it's not a hack in that all the electronics came from the same car. He didn't root the computer and turn on supercharging, it was just still enabled. There is no guarantee that every car will or won't be enabled or disabled, it's a crap shoot, not a hack.

If in stead of moving the electronics to a better shell he had left them in the original car then the original car would have still supercharged. That isn't a hack. That is just how it was.

Since Tesla won't sell most of the individual parts you'd need you will always have some combination of car parts but it isn't a hack to bring over a seat or a side mirror from another car. It's no different to move over the computer components. It's just parts, not magic.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Naekuh
No it came from several different cars. Not 1 car.
This is why i asked are you even following Rich on Youtube?

Salvaging Your Way to a Working Tesla Model S for $6500

salvaged-tesla-delorean.png

+

salvaged-tesla-slimshady.png

+

https://jalopnik.com/the-tragic-tale-of-the-frankenstein-tesla-model-s-that-1801922493

The one on top, then this:
g8j3krcb9ee0w0hmatjm.png

And finally a RED one, which he says he thinks he can salvage the rest.

Over the course of the next few months, he bought several different salvage Model Ss, stripped them of parts he needed and sold the rest.

So coming from several different cars id say it is HACKED.

Even on one of his lastest video, he had to replace a recall item from a part sourced from another car because TESLA would not offer him the recall part.

If i took several PC's and started gutting them and using a part each to build 1 PC, i would not call that an ORIGINAL.

No it came from several different cars. Not 1 car.
This is why i asked are you even following Rich on Youtube?

Salvaging Your Way to a Working Tesla Model S for $6500

salvaged-tesla-delorean.png

+

salvaged-tesla-slimshady.png

+

https://jalopnik.com/the-tragic-tale-of-the-frankenstein-tesla-model-s-that-1801922493

The one on top, then this:
g8j3krcb9ee0w0hmatjm.png

And finally a RED one, which he says he thinks he can salvage the rest.

So coming from several different cars id say it is HACKED.

Even on one of his lastest video, he had to replace a recall item from a part sourced from another car because TESLA would not offer him the recall part.

If i took several PC's and started gutting them and using a part each to build 1 PC, i would not call that an ORIGINAL.

The point is whether the control modules natively still allowed supercharging.

In your analogy, if you used the original hard drive and motherboard such that you did not need to use any special software to make Windows licensing happy, then you did not hack Windows. You can call swapping cases or floppy drives or adding memory a hack, but that has nothing to do with enabling features.

I know he discussed having access to Dolores (it's from Westworld, so that's the name :D ) via non-normal means, but I can't recall now (I've seen all the youtube footage also) if that was about the supercharging or not; I believe the quote was 'they just didn't disable it'. But how finally accurate that was, can't say. Over the last year or so, things jumped around a bit. :cool:

Reactions: Nightshifter
I’ve created one hell of an online presence and Tesla is definitely listening. They have actually taken action on a video about prior salvage safety that I made last week.

I’m slowly moving the needle in the right direction and Tesla is changing a few things here and there when it comes to prior salvage cars (however these things may not have propagated to all service centers as yet). I mentioned Tesla disabling autopilot for a rebuilt car and their recert fees in my last video and I have plenty of more stories of Tesla’s odd and borderline shady practices to share, but their ears have definitely peeled up.

I’ve been super busy with my raggedy YouTube channel so if you want to chat just pm me and I’ll get the notification as I don’t come here much.

P.S. I’ve never set foot in a service center besides to try to pay Elon musk 3$ for my supercharger idling fees. The car is off the grid and I see no benefit to recertification as I can service the car myself (including battery and motor)

All the best!
I’ve created one hell of an online presence and Tesla is definitely listening. They have actually taken action on a video about prior salvage safety that I made last week.

I’m slowly moving the needle in the right direction and Tesla is changing a few things here and there when it comes to prior salvage cars (however these things may not have propagated to all service centers as yet). I mentioned Tesla disabling autopilot for a rebuilt car and their recert fees in my last video and I have plenty of more stories of Tesla’s odd and borderline shady practices to share, but their ears have definitely peeled up.

I’ve been super busy with my raggedy YouTube channel so if you want to chat just pm me and I’ll get the notification as I don’t come here much.

All the best!
Did you ever your car transferred into your name?

Is there any way of getting Supercharging abilities back on an insurance total loss Tesla?
I purchased a 2017 MS 75 in April of 2018 from an auction which had been in an accident, though it wasn’t bad enough to salvage the vehicle. This was a frustrating time for me, since Elon wasn’t able to fill the pre orders of the Model 3’s at the time, so it took 4 months to retrieve parts to rebuild it. I used a private party mechanic, who is Audi certified to repair the car. I was able to purchase all the parts from Tesla Service Center, as parts became available. I was told prior to purchase from the service center that the car would have warranty and all supercharging. Of course the warranty promise didn’t happen, and I am unable to Supercharge. I paid the $500, to the Tesla service center to have the car recertified, but this only allows me to get updates, remove the speed limiter of 85mph, and allow me to take the car to the service center for repairs at cost. Prior to them recertifying my car, I had to have it inspected by an authorized Tesla body shop. I asked Tesla if I could pay something to regain Supercharging ability, though I was told that it isn’t possible. I did borrow a chademo charging adaptor to test whether it would work, which it did. Is there a way of getting a hack to allow supercharging? I friend had to pay to get 3rd party software updates on his prior salvage MS since Tesla wouldn’t recertify his car. Any advise is greatly appreciated

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have rebuilt one salvage and working on my second. Both can SC. And the current one even had the windshield recently replaced as a tesla center no questions asked (of course it was out of pocket cost)

I don't think anyone really knows what process Tesla uses to flag salavage cars. However, when you transfer a car to your tesla account (for App access) you do have to provide proof of ownership in the way of a tile or registration. I purposely don't provide the Title because it shows salvage right on it and thought it might tip them off. My registration does not list the salvage status.

Not sure if actually helped, but so far neither or blacklisted. Perhaps they just do national VIN searches once a year and will get me in 2020!

I have rebuilt one salvage and working on my second. Both can SC. And the current one even had the windshield recently replaced as a tesla center no questions asked (of course it was out of pocket cost)

I don't think anyone really knows what process Tesla uses to flag salavage cars. However, when you transfer a car to your tesla account (for App access) you do have to provide proof of ownership in the way of a tile or registration. I purposely don't provide the Title because it shows salvage right on it and thought it might tip them off. My registration does not list the salvage status.

Not sure if actually helped, but so far neither or blacklisted. Perhaps they just do national VIN searches once a year and will get me in 2020!

You still able to SC to this day?

Well it says right in the warranty:

View attachment 291301

Do you have anything in writing stating that getting a vehicle recertified unvoids the warranty?

Was your new P85 recertified? (It doesn't sound like it was or they would have at least looked at it an given you a quote.)

Afternoon, I just want to add to this post that they are several companies that will warranty a salvage Tesla. So no one has to go without a warranty. Also, once the car is re certified by tesla the warranty is not reinstated what is reinstated is that Tesla has to stand by the work if something breaks after a recert it should be covered because it should not wear in any reasonable timeframe after the recert is completed. That why it cost so much to do it. I Beleive the reason they repaired his car was because the recertification means now it is covered for the parts that were checked. If not then the whole purpose and price wouod not make sense to have it inspected.

Afternoon, I just want to add to this post that they are several companies that will warranty a salvage Tesla. So no one has to go without a warranty. Also, once the car is re certified by tesla the warranty is not reinstated what is reinstated is that Tesla has to stand by the work if something breaks after a recert it should be covered because it should not wear in any reasonable timeframe after the recert is completed. That why it cost so much to do it. I Beleive the reason they repaired his car was because the recertification means now it is covered for the parts that were checked. If not then the whole purpose and price wouod not make sense to have it inspected.

The only "recert" offered now is ~$500. I assure you that they don't warranty anything after that .

I've never heard of Tesla reinstating the warranty on a salvage car. You can get it re-certified, but that only opens it up for you to be able to take it to Tesla and pay for repairs.

My guess is that something didn't get flagged properly on your first car.

By the way the hub bearings wouldn't be covered under the batter/drive unit warranty. (There is no drive train warranty on a Tesla.)
Maybe you bought a salvage Tesla and the Warrenty was through the seller most all : I should say all cars with a “ Branded title salvage would have a Warrenty honor by Tesla , That goes for all cars once there branded salvage void all Dealer warranty; However these cars are great deals and I’m all in restoring fix properly they just as good as new

Maybe you bought a salvage Tesla and the Warrenty was through the seller most all : I should say all cars with a “ Branded title salvage would have a Warrenty honor by Tesla , That goes for all cars once there branded salvage void all Dealer warranty; However these cars are great deals and I’m all in restoring fix properly they just as good as new