Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA saved my friends life.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have owned my Model 3 LR RWD for just over a year. In December my friend was in the market for a car and I convinced him to get a Model 3 SR+. Last night a reckless driver lost control of his car and my two friends crashed into the reckless driver's car and the aftermath looks how bad it was yet my two friends walked out of this accident safe and sound. I have always known about how safe our cars are but after this I am truly thankful to Tesla and Elon Musk for saving my friends lives.

Here is the reddit where I posted TeslaCam video and footage of the aftermath.

Reckless Driver causes accident. Tesla Saves lives : TeslaCam

Attachments

• TeslaCrashAftermath.PNG
    TeslaCrashAftermath.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 195
So I have owned my Model 3 LR RWD for just over a year. In December my friend was in the market for a car and I convinced him to get a Model 3 SR+. Last night a reckless driver lost control of his car and my two friends crashed into the reckless driver's car and the aftermath looks how bad it was yet my two friends walked out of this accident safe and sound. I have always known about how safe our cars are but after this I am truly thankful to Tesla and Elon Musk for saving my friends lives.

Wow. Just wow. Very glad to hear that your friends walked away from that without injury. Thanks for our part in putting them in a Tesla, and thanks for sharing.

Wow. Just wow. Very glad to hear that your friends walked away from that without injury. Thanks for our part in putting them in a Tesla, and thanks for sharing.

I try to let everyone know how good a choice this car and other Teslas are. Still keep watching these videos and gives me chill I could have lost 2 of my close friends. The car handled this like a tank!

I just showed this to my wife, I was driving down to Farmville VA, late Thursday night and came upon a horrible accident, a young lady, I assume a college kid going back to Longwood U, was driving a newer red, Ford Mustang, and during a rain storm lost control of the car and hit a large tree, with the tragic outcome of her losing her life.

I told my wife we need to get the kids a used Tesla, as both my kids go to Longwood and Route 15 can get pretty bad low light, rain, fog etc... Farmville Supercharger just opened..so there is no reason not to, especially when you can get a used Model S for under $30K with FUSC. I am sure those poor parents would make the same decision if they had seen the damage to that Mustang, it looked like someone split it in half.

Here are all the recent sales on eBay for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015--- from May - to early August over half the sales where under $30K

I just showed this to my wife, I was driving down to Farmville VA, late Thursday night and came upon a horrible accident, a young lady, I assume a college kid going back to Longwood U, was driving a newer red, Ford Mustang, and during a rain storm lost control of the car and hit a large tree, with the tragic outcome of her losing her life.

I told my wife we need to get the kids a used Tesla, as both my kids go to Longwood and Route 15 can get pretty bad low light, rain, fog etc... Farmville Supercharger just opened..so there is no reason not to, especially when you can get a used Model S for under $30K with FUSC. I am sure those poor parents would make the same decision if they had seen the damage to that Mustang, it looked like someone split it in half.

Here are all the recent sales on eBay for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015--- from May - to early August over half the sales where under $30K

absolutely you can find so many great deals on used Tesla's and pretty soon more Model 3's will be in the 20s. Specifically the SR+ variants. So glad my friends are alive. We lost a friend just 9 days ago from being struck by lightning after one of our soccer games. I couldn't fathom having lost 2 more the very same week :( If I was a fan before of Tesla and proud owner I am much more now!

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe

... or a Volvo. I was in two different accidents while in a Volvo. Both times the Volvo was driven home after the accident, but the other cars had to get towed away. Lots of pictures on the web of post-accident Volvos and the other cars involved. Those things are like tanks.

Could have been much worse.
In effect, the Tesla t-boned the other car.

Get them a nerfed Tesla. It'll encourage them to drive slowly so they don't have to charge as much.

But, if they want to race it, they'll probably die like the affluenza sufferer and his passengers did when he raced the Model X.

A red Mustang isn't a sign of a driver who puts safety first.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
The solid structure of the Tesla was obviously a major factor in saving lives, but there is another important point. In a situation like this, a Tesla already brakes hard before the intruder even reaches the Tesla's driving lane, even without TACC or Autopilot.

This is difficult or impossible to detect in the video, but it most likely happened. Have you asked your friends whether their Tesla braked? They may not remember though, because of the shock.

In any case, the braking ameliorates the impact. Even if it didn't happen here, it happens regularly.

The solid structure of the Tesla was obviously a major factor in saving lives, but there is another important point. In a situation like this, a Tesla already brakes hard before the intruder even reaches the Tesla's driving lane, even without TACC or Autopilot.

This is difficult or impossible to detect in the video, but it most likely happened. Have you asked your friends whether their Tesla braked? They may not remember though, because of the shock.

In any case, the braking ameliorates the impact. Even if it didn't happen here, it happens regularly.

My friend told me he honestly can't recall if it did or didn't break on its own (the auto break) because he was in the act of charging lanes. He was going to get on the left lane to pass a vehicle in front of him. He was doing about 65mph. As he was starting to go to the left lane my other friend in the passenger seat saw the dodge charger lose control on the right side and yelled and it was all too fast by that time my friend the driver said he honestly could not do anything he just grabbed on to the steering wheel hard and braced for impact he did step on the break but doesn't know if the auto break engaged before him or not. This was all so fast. I don't think autopilot or auto break or anything could do much to avoid it or do much better. It was a very freak accident because you you typically don't get a car coming into the highway just spin out and hurl across the highway. The driver of that dodge charger if he wasn't intoxicated is a complete idiot and I honestly think the all cars involved in the accident should sue the hell out of him. My friends are fine they have some discomforts we finally convinced them to go into the hospital yesterday (12 hours after the accident) because my wife dealt with accident in the past and her issues starting popping up days after. Even though the Tesla saves your life and keeps you intact there's so much forces involved to your insides and back. We have been involved with lawyer and insurance for 3 years for my wife's back issues from someone crashing into her he was not paying attention and ran a stop sign. Anyways if you deal with insurance agencies yourself you usually get screwed it's always better to get a good lawyer and be made whole cause you might have some long term health issues. I'm just happy my friends are alive and I'm so happy we all drive a tesla. Worth every single penny.

Glad he is safe but really any modern cars would be just as safe. The current technology is great at keeping people safe.
Yeah, no. I’m gonna call BS on this statement. Too vague. Did you see that picture? If there were an engine in there, it would’ve been pushed in to the cabin and smashed the passengers. No way would other cars have done so well, especially not ones with big 500lb chunks of metal in front.

I try to let everyone know how good a choice this car and other Teslas are. Still keep watching these videos and gives me chill I could have lost 2 of my close friends. The car handled this like a tank!
Chilling video. And also a LOT of luck why they walked away. If that car were to come across just a split second later, the front passenger may not have been so lucky if hit in the driver door.

Yeah, no. I’m gonna call BS on this statement. Too vague. Did you see that picture? If there were an engine in there, it would’ve been pushed in to the cabin and smashed the passengers. No way would other cars have done so well, especially not ones with big 500lb chunks of metal in front.

There is a lot of engineering in today's cars. Engines are mounted to move away from the passengers as they absorb energy. I had a 2013 Dodge charger before my Tesla and saw one that was in a head on collision. The driver compartment was in perfect condition. The front looks like a bomb went off. Today's cars do a great job at keeping us alive even with the many poor drivers on the road.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
There is a lot of engineering in today's cars. Engines are mounted to move away from the passengers as they absorb energy. I had a 2013 Dodge charger before my Tesla and saw one that was in a head on collision. The driver compartment was in perfect condition. The front looks like a bomb went off. Today's cars do a great job at keeping us alive even with the many poor drivers on the road.
I don’t disagree, and I think I made my point ineffectively. I can see why people disagreed with my earlier post. It is true that modern cars are good. I take issue that any modern car is just as safe. If that were true, all cars would get top scores in NHTSA safety testing just like the Model 3 did.