Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Saves a Hit and Run Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's so great that you stopped to provide the video to the driver who got hit! If the police won't do anything (I got t-boned by a hit and run "driver" about 20 years ago and someone got the license but the police refused to do anything...they did give me their home address, though...), I hope the insurance can take action.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Talked with a good cop friend of mine once about how rewarding it must be to catch people like this. His response might surprise you. He said no. It's actually more frustrating, because those type of drivers don't care. They just pay whatever fine and never change their terrible driving habits. The chances of them being caught enough times to lose their license is extremely low, and if they did, they'll drive anyway.

It's nice that another Tesla driver becomes a good samaritan, and offers up the dash cam footage. Maybe the police will even be able to use it and charge him/her. But that person won't ever change. Our traffic laws are antiquated and don't provide enough disincentive to break them. Someone being caught driving like that should lose their license for a year. Hit and Run offenders should lose their license for 5 years.

@Noodles- nice job. You made us all look good.

Can you make out the license plate on the original video?
Yes! I was able to and the police offer was able to as well.
YouTube completely downgraded the colors and quality of this video

If you full screen it and click pause and play (0:47) right as the black Lexus flees the scene you can make out the license plate

Last edited:
Most likely an IS 250 since it was debagged
cant be any later than 2013 model
EJflSZA.png

If the guy in the UK(?) who got into an accident when he tried to navigate the touchscreen to turn on wipers loses his license for a year (and pays a fine), then this person should lose their license until they complete anger management and go through a year of having a permit again with a responsible co-driver. Or just lose his license full stop.

driver was an absolute idiot and deserves the book thrown at him/her.

but also, it wouldve helped if people adhered to the left-lane-only-for-passing rule. so there wouldnt be a surprise that a car on the left is stopped (slower than the right lanes)

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Talked with a good cop friend of mine once about how rewarding it must be to catch people like this. His response might surprise you. He said no. It's actually more frustrating, because those type of drivers don't care. They just pay whatever fine and never change their terrible driving habits. The chances of them being caught enough times to lose their license is extremely low, and if they did, they'll drive anyway.

It's nice that another Tesla driver becomes a good samaritan, and offers up the dash cam footage. Maybe the police will even be able to use it and charge him/her. But that person won't ever change. Our traffic laws are antiquated and don't provide enough disincentive to break them. Someone being caught driving like that should lose their license for a year. Hit and Run offenders should lose their license for 5 years.

@Noodles- nice job. You made us all look good.
Yep, when I had a Volt, there was a bad accident, where a young driver, driving a BMW 3-series, was doing in excess of 100mph on River Road in Bethesda, MD, slammed into a turning Volt. Killed 4 members of a family going to a school concert. The driver, son of a famous concert pianist from some place like Turkey, had numerous previous speeding citations, all dismissed because of a smart lawyer the wealthy father had hired. If only the driver had had his license taken away or suspended, maybe that family would still be here. Sad tragedy.

I remember it, because obviously, I had a Volt in those days, and I used to live off River Road in Bethesda.

...it wouldve helped if people adhered to the left-lane-only-for-passing rule. so there wouldnt be a surprise that a car on the left is stopped (slower than the right lanes)

It's funny - I've noticed that FSD has no problem passing on the right. I see it time and time again where an FSD car passes and 18-wheeler on the right. In NJ, the trucks will nudge into your lane if you try that. I'm guessing FSD wouldn't honk the horn and flash a finger as it speed up to get out of the way. :D

Back to this thread, though, congrats to the OP for doing a stand up thing. I hope that hit-and-run driver gets nailed.

It's funny - I've noticed that FSD has no problem passing on the right. I see it time and time again where an FSD car passes and 18-wheeler on the right. In NJ, the trucks will nudge into your lane if you try that. I'm guessing FSD wouldn't honk the horn and flash a finger as it speed up to get out of the way. :D

Back to this thread, though, congrats to the OP for doing a stand up thing. I hope that hit-and-run driver gets nailed.

Here in NJ, it's legal to pass on the right if there are two or more lanes of traffic in that direction, or if a car ahead is making a left turn, as long as you don't use the shoulder to pass.

I've never had a truck nudge into my lane for passing. Of course, they're generally not in the left lane, unless they've just passed someone - in which case, they want to get back in the right lane to finish their pass.

If they're nudging you, you've done something else.