Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says 12,200 Model 3 orders canceled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Statistically insignificant as some kind of representation of the early reservations.

True, perhaps less than 3-5% but innovators none-the-less. So for the sake of argument, if only innovators and early adopters are in the first 400,000 reservations, and they represent perhaps 16-20% of the technology life cycle, there are possibly well over 2,000,000 adopters of the technology over the next few years standing on the sideline. The EV business is up for grabs.

Bad news for ICE. The big auto manufacturers around the world are beginning to see the handwriting on the wall and are all scrambling to come out with their own pathetic EV offerings. That's my opinion.

True, perhaps less than 3-5% but innovators none-the-less. So for the sake of argument, if only innovators and early adopters are in the first 400,000 reservations, and they represent perhaps 16-20% of the technology life cycle, there are possibly well over 2,000,000 adopters of the technology over the next few years standing on the sideline. The EV business is up for grabs.

Bad news for ICE. The big auto manufacturers around the world are beginning to see the handwriting on the wall and are all scrambling to come out with their own pathetic EV offerings. That's my opinion.

Agreed with Germans in particular very worried....

I suspect many of the first buyers of Tesla vehicles were 'innovators' in their own fields, perhaps innovators in the field of EV technology, sustainable energy, solar and more. The term doesn't apply just to EM and others in his circle.

There are a lot of people who also are the first to wait in line for the new Justin Bieber album, that doesn't make them innovators in their field. That just makes them anxious to have the product.

I suspect that many were not innovators or at least financially successful ones since there are so many posts here about pricing, financing, making due with 60, finding a cheap electrician, etc. ;)

They've always said approaching or almost 400k.

Yeah, and that is typical PR/Marketing double talk.
They had 385k orders and suspected 4k were fake and probably were seeing some trends in cancellations. But let's say approaching since that is such a cool number!

I got one order yesterday.
I got another order today.

Approaching = come nearer to.

I am approaching 1,000,000 orders (well, I am approaching it since I am on my way and the trend is right...may take me a long time to get there...but approaching!)

• Funny
Reactions: ZAKEEUS
As far as continuing to lose 1,333 a week we have no evidence of it, and I think that some percentage of cancellations after the huge number of initial reservations is to be expected.

Well, we have no evidence since it has only been around 6 weeks and the 1,333 number is based on number of cancellations divided by six weeks.

Cancellations between announcement and availability in general are expected. There will be an ebb and flow of orders and cancellations - once more time goes by, people see more about specific pricing of what they want in a car, the lure of other EV's, gas price changes, economy changes and so on and so on.

Not sure why cancels now makes sense since so little has been announced about the car or competition that would warrant a change - in fact just the opposite - really good launch event and car being available earlier than expected.

There are a lot of people who also are the first to wait in line for the new Justin Bieber album

I highly doubt the majority of Bieber fans queuing up to buy his next album qualify, nor can many of them afford to buy a $70,000 car or even $35,000 car for that matter. For the most part, they will be living with their parents well into their 40's.

These 'laggards' of the technology curve will be relegated to the ranks of those buying used, ICE cars being sold for a song or perhaps the Yugos of the EV vehicles.

I hope more people cancel as times goes on, bumping up the people that ordered earlier. But I suspect the ones that stood in line are the die hard fans, and the least likely to cancel.

I don't hope more people cancel...because I want Tesla to succeed and help "change the world". But I do acknowledge there are going to be tens of thousands of cancellations to come. Even if only 10% cancel - which seems pretty low considering many will have had to wait 2+ years and then will still have to pay $40+ thousand for the vehicle once available - there will still be ~40,000 cancellations out of the almost 400,000 reservations so far.

Well, we have no evidence since it has only been around 6 weeks and the 1,333 number is based on number of cancellations divided by six weeks.

Cancellations between announcement and availability in general are expected. There will be an ebb and flow of orders and cancellations - once more time goes by, people see more about specific pricing of what they want in a car, the lure of other EV's, gas price changes, economy changes and so on and so on.

Not sure why cancels now makes sense since so little has been announced about the car or competition that would warrant a change - in fact just the opposite - really good launch event and car being available earlier than expected.

A lot was announced after 115,000 people reserved. In fact everything. Some of those people may not have liked the lack of hatchback or something. I also think a lot of people got caught up in excitement and ordered two, and then realized that was silly since they can't transfer the reservation to somebody else.

I expect a lot of the cancellations to be plain old life. People lose their jobs, that car they were planning on selling may have gotten stolen, possibly decided to get a Model S, family may be expanding and a minivan ends up being the best choice of vehicle. Either way a 3% cancellation rate isn't bad.

I can't speak for anyone else's motivation and background...but in my case-
I have been anti-EV based on the POS I've seen putting around in my neighborhood. Never wanted one until Consumer Reports said this was one of the best cars they ever tested. Then I read how some big guys weare against Tesla and poo-pooed them because of early flaws in production. Now I got real curious...I've produced several things and later found my first iteration was not as good as second,third try. To have the big guys pounce on EM innovations contributed my increased interest, and went against my need for perfection.
I would call my self an innovator, but not in the EV world. An early adopter - yea, but I have not yet adopted.(I've ordered, planned and anticipated, but not yet received my EV)
So - the above comments seem to have described me well without ever knowing me.

Many, many under the 400,000th reservation are 'innovators' or 'early adopters' of technology.

Nope.
The early adopters bought the Roadster and the S. They were willing to weather the market and tech risk of the new tech.

The E is the mainstream product built based on the prior experience, no where near early adopter.

They definitely aren't innovators. Innovators create and do things - there is nothing innovative in putting down a fully refundable deposit.

Nope.
They definitely aren't innovators. Innovators create and do things - there is nothing innovative in putting down a fully refundable deposit.
He's referring to the Diffusion of Innovation curve, which is an analysis of the adoption rate of technology, not the whether reservation holders have personally done any innovating.

Diffusion of innovations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DiffusionOfInnovation.png

Not unusual to see some cancellations. Always going to be some buyers remorse.

Heard a few that were hoping for a hatchback, and perhaps backed out due to that, or other details discovered after placing their reservation.

Others might have had second guesses when it actually became time to pay the credit card used to place their deposit.

Totally normal to expect some cancellations, but still a remarkable achievement for Tesla to attain the level of acceptance they have earned with the announcement of this lower priced all electric car.