Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says I can use the system before PTO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why self consumption is limited to Powerwall+. The PW+ is a PW2 and a Tesla Solar Inverter on its side.

Does anybody have additional insight?
With a separate inverter there is no communication between the inverter and the PW/GW. The only way to curtail production is via changing the line frequency. Obviously it can't change the line frequency while you are connected to the grid.

With a separate inverter there is no communication between the inverter and the PW/GW. The only way to curtail production is via changing the line frequency. Obviously it can't change the line frequency while you are connected to the grid.
Sorry for bumping this but it just occurred to me.

I checked my inverter installation and indeed, there is no communication cabling.

However, how does the Powerwall know how much to charge based off of inverter production? CT clamps in the gateway perhaps?

Disappointing that Tesla didn't update the standalone inverter with the communication capability that the PW+ inverter has, but I suppose there is little incentive for them to do that.
I am not sure there is any need for communication in a grid tie situation since the GT inverter can output its full capability and never be curtailed since in can sell any excess to the grid. The Powerall CTs can tell the Powerwall to grab as much as it can to charge the batteries when needed.
I don't have a Powerwall but the relationship of my hybrid inverter with batteries is the same with my GT inverters.
What additional functionality would you like to see that is not already there?

I am not sure there is any need for communication in a grid tie situation since the GT inverter can output its full capability and never be curtailed since in can sell any excess to the grid. The Powerall CTs can tell the Powerwall to grab as much as it can to charge the batteries when needed.
I don't have a Powerwall but the relationship of my hybrid inverter with batteries is the same with my GT inverters.
What additional functionality would you like to see that is not already there?
Not sure if you missed the context of this thread, but the missing functionality is self consumption mode which allows operation before PTO.

A cable will not provide that functionalility. I don't know of any GT inverters that have that functionality. I think youvare correct, there is little incentive for them to do that. There are workarounds to operate before the PTO is issued.

Last edited:
The Powerwall+ inverter does exactly this. And there are others that do it as well.
Yes it does and there are other inverters that can be configured with CTs but The Tesla GT inverter has not been configured that way. As mentioned earlier, there is no incentive for Tesla to configure the GT inverter to have the functionality to be configured for zero export.

Last edited:
Yes it does and there are other inverters that can be configured with CTs but The Tesla GT inverter has not been configured that way. As mentioned earlier, there is no incentive for Tesla to configure the GT inverter to have that functionality.
That's exactly what I said above....

Anyways the point I was making is that it's disappointing for Tesla to not have self consumption for installations with Powerwall (not plus). Plenty of utilities are out there that are denying applications that use PW+.

/thread

Plenty of utilities are out there that are denying applications that use PW+.
In those cases DIYers are installing battery powered hybrid inverters behind the meter and that is probably the easiest workaround since it can be argued that no permission from the utility is required . I understand your disappointment but Tesla has made a decision to serve the market in their own way. Apparently they do not see a market for that capability.
In my case that was one of the reasons I chose to DIY install a hybrid inverter to complement my GT inverter.