Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says it can't be done: But it can: new higher resolution rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supurkar and I have been good buddies for quite some time and together when Telsa says something can't be done we try to prove that it can. The latest example is the new higher resolution rear camera, which Tesla says won't work on older cars (ours are both 2013 P85s). Wrong, and here are a few photos to prove it. As I have the front/rear camera switch I bought two of the new high resolution cameras.

Tesla also claims that the facelift bumper cannot be installed on nose cone cars. We have a facelift bumper and all of the necessary parts on order to prove that it can. As the Tesla parts to do this cost about $600, if we're right we'll save ourselves (and anyone else who wants to do this) nearly $1,500 over the cost pf the aftermarket kits that are being developed by several sources.

Before I went to all of the trouble to install the new cameras on the car I thought it would be wise to first test them. As the camera switch is readily available under the dash, it was easy to plug the new cameras into the touchscreen connector. They worked perfectly and the image is definitely high resolution compared to the old camera. With the camera plugged into the touchscreen connector I could move it around and show all kinds of images of the interior and exterior, including self-portraits with me holding the my Nikon SLR. Here are a few photos of the old and new camera and the touchscreen.

Old camera

_DSC3901.JPG

New camera (it has what a appears to be a different lens, which is raised from the camera body)

DSC_7539.JPG

Touchscreen images with new camera

DSC_7529.JPG

DSC_7530.JPG

DSC_7532.JPG

I love the concept of the front camera switch kit, but am worried that it might cause problems with the AP2 hardware autopilot system. Since the rear camera is (supposedly) part of the AP system now, if it starts receiving images from the front will that cause it to do something unexpected... Personally, I would hold off on those for AP2 cars until this can be figured out. Sadly this will not happen until one of the features turned on requires the back camera (which I think is only used for the full self driving mode, though who knows with the whole shadow mode thing as well).

I love the concept of the front camera switch kit, but am worried that it might cause problems with the AP2 hardware autopilot system. Since the rear camera is (supposedly) part of the AP system now, if it starts receiving images from the front will that cause it to do something unexpected... Personally, I would hold off on those for AP2 cars until this can be figured out. Sadly this will not happen until one of the features turned on requires the back camera (which I think is only used for the full self driving mode, though who knows with the whole shadow mode thing as well).

As the default is to have the rear camera on and only switch to the front camera in head-in parking situations that probably won't be a problem unless the front camera is on when the car is at speed. If you have AP I'd never want to have the front camera on at anything over parking speed.

Reactions: Akikiki and ev-now
Hi @artsci, thanks for the info!

Do you know if it's simple to replace the rear view camera? What sort of tools/procedures are involved?

Not too difficult. The camera is held in place by two Phillips or torx screws on the tailgate bracket. It's easy to remove them from outside the car. The next task is to unplug the camera from the cable that leads to the touchscreen. For the nimble-handed it can be done without removing any of the trim on the underside of the tailgate. You remove the snap-in plastic handle on the lower left side of the bottom of the tailgate, find the cable and connector, reach in the space, and unplug. Reverse the steps to mount the new camera. If you're not blessed with small hands removal of the lift gate trim is necessary and that's the most difficult part of the job.

Way cool @artsci ! i loved the front camera switch I purchased from you two years ago. If you make the kit available for new productionn (I have a brand new S90D) id like to buy again.

I'm waiting on all of the necessary data from WhiteP5, who designed the switch. We already having manufacturing sources lined up. For those with AP we'll need to test it on an AP car. We'll cross that bridge once we have new switches.