Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says it can't be done: But it can: new higher resolution rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to make a step by step video on how to do this also what is the price I have a 2013 and would love a better camera but I would like bumper sensers more if u could do that I seen a hacker do it

PM me re the parking sensors. There may be a way to do this provided, 1: Your car has the wiring harness for it and 2: Your service center is willing to upgrade the firmware if and when you install all the necessary hardware.

Maybe the pictures on this forum is not doing justice to the camera but the images from the new higher resolution doesn't look that much, if any at all, better than what I currently have. And I have the old camera module. I am comparing if I can read the text in the camera's image and comparing how clearly the navigation text shows up. I'll see if I can get an image and upload it to compare with the OP.

Maybe the pictures on this forum is not doing justice to the camera but the images from the new higher resolution doesn't look that much, if any at all, better than what I currently have. And I have the old camera module. I am comparing if I can read the text in the camera's image and comparing how clearly the navigation text shows up. I'll see if I can get an image and upload it to compare with the OP.

Now that I have them installed they're a definite improvement. Shots of the touchscreen really don't it justice. The resolution is noticeably higher and the image at low light levels much better. I'll post some comparative photos when the weather gets better, likely tomorrow.

Now that I have them installed they're a definite improvement. Shots of the touchscreen really don't it justice. The resolution is noticeably higher and the image at low light levels much better. I'll post some comparative photos when the weather gets better, likely tomorrow.
Thanks. Definitely looking forward to the comparison. If it's really good, I might look to upgrading the backup camera too.

The camera on my Dec 2014 built Model S (let's call it a 2nd gen camera) was a significant improvement over the camera on my previous Dec 2012 Model S (1st gen).

Having recently test driven a Dec 2016 Model X with this new camera (3rd gen), I'd say it was again the same degree of improvement one more time over my Dec 2014 Model S (2nd gen) as that was over the 1st camera. So much so that I'm seriously considering upgrading my 2nd gen camera now on artsci's discovery.

If I still had that Dec 2012 one with the 1st gen camera it would be a no-brainer.

Not too difficult. The camera is held in place by two Phillips or torx screws on the tailgate bracket. It's easy to remove them from outside the car. The next task is to unplug the camera from the cable that leads to the touchscreen. For the nimble-handed it can be done without removing any of the trim on the underside of the tailgate. You remove the snap-in plastic handle on the lower left side of the bottom of the tailgate, find the cable and connector, reach in the space, and unplug. Reverse the steps to mount the new camera. If you're not blessed with small hands removal of the lift gate trim is necessary and that's the most difficult part of the job.

Will the parking guides still appear

Reactions: bradhs
Hi artsci. I see the mounting screws for the camera, but how do you fiddle the metal wings out once loosened? I presume the mounting holes in the camera are threaded to act as captive nuts? Could you post a photo of the snap in plastic handle?

I wonder whether this design overcomes the water droplet issue when it rains?