Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says it's "within the spec" and "normal", what do you think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an appointment after the delivery to address panel gaps and alignment issues.
Some of them were fixed, some of them "within the spec". But in a few days after the appointment, I noticed that the rubber seal of the passenger window is not tight to the body anymore and there is a gap that I see the white body of the car between two rubber seals.
I reported to tesla and told them that it was not like that since the delivery and became after my service appointment. They fixed one thing but broke the other. They replied that this is "normal" and "within the spec" and over time it will go to it's place by itself.

What do you think?
IMG_4910 Large.jpeg

..."normal" and "within the spec" and over time it will go to it's place by itself...

I don't have a Y, so I can't tell you if that's normal.

Generally, a rubber seal should cover the under area so you can't see the paint from the frame/chassis under.

The picture looks like the left piece should be more extensive and expanded under the right. The right piece should be larger and expand over the left piece.

The weather and years of aging might cause both pieces to contract and expand, but I doubt that the white gap will ever be filled.

Hopefully, the paint won't peel off or be rusted due to wetness and moisture, depending on how good the white paint is.

This is a QA problem and should have been fixed at the factory or at the delivery and should never be brought home.

I don't have a solution for you, but I feel bad for you.

Reactions: Art84
Can you just push it back up? Seems pretty minor.
Sure it tried... and tried hard. It's not pushing back like this rubber doesn't have enough length to fill the gap and sit properly.
I don't know what they did in the service when fixing interior panel gaps to screw this up.
A similar thing was on the rear passenger door, but I was able easily to push the rubber back to where it suppose to be.

I can't prove it, unfortunately. So far it j just a cosmetic issue and not impact the functionality.
It's just annoying that all other doors are fine and just this door has this gap which not look nice...

I like Tesla car very much, but the assembly quality is worse than my wife's 2013 Honda Accord... very disappointing..

Our front passenger side front door seal was much worse than the picture of yours when we picked up our MYP.
The sales associate was able to push it up and into proper position, its still there after 6 months.
He had to push pull along the entire length of the seal in order to get it to move, it was a struggle, but he got the job done.
BTW, the Tesla service centers will always lean towards "its in spec" , you are much better off asking a mobile Tech.
A mobile Tech took care of all of my door alignment issues is less than 20 minutes while the service center refused to address them.

Our front passenger side front door seal was much worse than the picture of yours when we picked up our MYP.
The sales associate was able to push it up and into proper position, its still there after 6 months.
He had to push pull along the entire length of the seal in order to get it to move, it was a struggle, but he got the job done.
BTW, the Tesla service centers will always lean towards "its in spec" , you are much better off asking a mobile Tech.
A mobile Tech took care of all of my door alignment issues is less than 20 minutes while the service center refused to address them.
Thanks for the info!
Can you explain how exactly he did it? Did he partially removed the rubber seal and re-insert it back? Or he did it differently?
Maybe I would try to do something similar

Thanks for the info!
Can you explain how exactly he did it? Did he partially removed the rubber seal and re-insert it back? Or he did it differently?
Maybe I would try to do something similar
I had to remove my seal for a different reason, but yes to adjust the seal you'll have to loosen half of the seal and reguide the seal with your hand. Look for an area that is bunched up or not smooth. pull that section and guide it around. It should fill that corner. I had to redo mine cause it was showing that corner.

Reactions: Art84 and akidesir
Great.
So just double-check... I need to pull the rubber seal starting from that corner, maybe 1-2 feet and then reinsert it back making a little stretching during that process. Correct? I don't need to remove any interior pannels right?

If it is “within the spec” then there must be defined specifications for this somewhere, and he must have seen it. Can you ask to see those specifications? If so, then you’ll know if it is within specifications. If he can not or will not show you, then you can argue that this is a poor fit and ask that seal be adjusted or replaced.

• Love
Reactions: UncleCreepy
I can't prove it, unfortunately. So far it j just a cosmetic issue and not impact the functionality.
It's just annoying that all other doors are fine and just this door has this gap which not look nice...

I like Tesla car very much, but the assembly quality is worse than my wife's 2013 Honda Accord... very disappointing..
Assembly and build quality the worst of any car I've ever owned, the last time i had build quality on a car like my M3P was way back in the eighties.

I had an appointment after the delivery to address panel gaps and alignment issues.
Some of them were fixed, some of them "within the spec". But in a few days after the appointment, I noticed that the rubber seal of the passenger window is not tight to the body anymore and there is a gap that I see the white body of the car between two rubber seals.
I reported to tesla and told them that it was not like that since the delivery and became after my service appointment. They fixed one thing but broke the other. They replied that this is "normal" and "within the spec" and over time it will go to it's place by itself.

What do you think?
View attachment 857768
I have the same issue with my 2020 Model X. Still under warranty but I would expect the same response when I ask them to fix it.