TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Says Model 3 & Model Y Will Both Be Equipped To Tow

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by TMC Staff, Mar 18, 2019.

1. TMC Staff

Teslas go towing. Tesla’s chief designer Franz von Holzhausen says that the recently revealed Model Y will be equipped to tow and he adds that the Model 3 will eventually get a tow bar too, that’s according to Norwegian site Elbilen. Elbilen cites Tesla Owners Club Norway as the source of the new towing info, stating (via...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Active Member

If true, the real question has to be: why not sooner? Why not just share that during the event?
    Why not Model S, back in 2012?
    I've been asking this on the most knowledgeable forums and never got a straight answer.

For European demand (and thus pricing and thus profit) this would have a very real impact. Especially with V3 supercharging being rolled out.

And I keep saying it until someone tweets it to Elon making him fix it a decade too late the next week: a wagon/shooting break/estate version of both S and 3 on top of that towing capability would really boost demand like crazy. And again with V3 charging, a slight loss in range is not such an issue as the cost for even more cargo space on the Y.

3. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

On some markets, the abiility to tow is an important part of the purchasing decision.

Having this capability will certainly be what Tesla calls "a demand lever".

A small SUV that can tow, carry bikes or a basket on a rack, carry a roof top rack and have mild off road capabilities with AWD certainly checks off all the boxes.

"gonna need a bigger factory"

4. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Active Member

Without towing there may simply be no need for a European Gigafactory.
    Model 3: really tiny cargo space, very few sales
    Model Y: no towing, will still sell decently
    Model S: without towing and diminishing incentives, will lose interest
    Model X: very costly, price drop at entry level will boost sales
    Model 3+Y: just give it an instrument cluster or good HUD, even an optional one at 10x cost, and it is back on the radar for many straight shooting drivers.

A revamped Model S: estate version, towing, at least 2 screens, Model 3 rear motor to add range, 2170 cells to reduce cost and 350kW charging. This might well warrant an extra production line in Europe.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

hud.jpg
    Did you see the HUD display leaked on the Tesla video? 23 second.... of the video.

6. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Active Member

In the top of the wind screen, so the driver would need to look away from the road anyway? Sigh...

• Like x 1
  7. appleguru

appleguru Member

Not being able to tow is one of the biggest dings I have against my Model S. Wish they'd offer it as an option, or at the very least not void the car's warranty when using a 3rd party hitch...

• Like x 1
  8. buttershrimp

NO! It's called pear-rippable vision! Duuuuuuhhhhh...

9. sreams

sreams Member

You haven't seen a lot of the cars in Europe if you think the Model 3 has a "really tiny cargo space".

• Like x 3
  10. sreams

sreams Member

So you want it to be a constant distraction directly in your field of view?

• Love x 1
  11. buttershrimp

Exactly! It's Iron Man! I told you! iron-man-hud.jpg

12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Don't get hung up on HUD displays on a Tesla. Not sure what information that could be displayed there that could be that valuable.

Other on board systems can be used as alternatives.

If you gotta have it, there are aftermarket HUDs, but also think their value would be limited.

• Like x 1
  13. sreams

sreams Member

Well... if they ever get to a point where they can track your head position... nav directions could be overlaid directly onto the road surfaces.

14. Smokkelaar

Smokkelaar Member

Tow hitch comfirmd?

see:
    910kg official towing capacity for the model 3

15. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

I have a HUD in my current vehicle. I will miss it - a LOT - when the lease ends.

Being able to see my speed without taking eyes off the road has done wonders for my compliance with speed limits. (Seriously!)

I also love being able to see upcoming directions. Or the current song playing. Or the compass. Or urgent vehicle alerts (ie proximity sensors warnings, etc)

Very handy; definitely one of those things that sounds silly until you use it ... and then it’s something you don’t want to go without.

I have the same feeling about my rearview mirror camera. The wide angle view at all times? Simply brilliant.

• Like x 2
  16. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Well, "elbilen.org" is a Swedish site, not Norwegian... ;) Just look at the logo where it spells "Sverige" in red/vertical. That's "Sweden" in Swedish (and Norwegian).

17. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Active Member

Tiny boot for a car with 5 supposedly decent seats, then.
    Let alone price per m³ or ft³ of cargo space.

18. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Active Member

Proper design could make a lot available with limited intrusion. Imagine satnav, simple road situation icon and arrow, meters to turn-in. Some HUDs probably already have it.

• Like x 1
  19. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

This is from a 2013 ATS, but my XT5 has a very similar system. Seems like something Tesla could implement and improve on pretty easily.

20. SOULPEDL

SOULPEDL Active Member

I literally spoke 4 days too soon. This changes the equation for us and would be a huge step up to replace the Murano. Final Truck price (and $TSLA) could be a differentiating factor of course. Although I don't know if I'd load up a Model Y with cement bags or project stuff. Maybe it already has a utility liner designed in. Who knows, right?

Imagine towing a sailboat... on Full Self Drive. Boat launch App... soon! That's a software feature example - Tesla's revenue stream advantage. This will be a heavy blow to an industry that's already on their heels. Going to continue this conversation over a the investment thread. It's that worthy for Tesla, the company.